Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Linebacking Needs and Free Agency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Our Linebacking Needs and Free Agency Reply with quote

Taking a break from all the coaching escapades and to tie in to what we discussed in regards to our unpleasant cap situation my question is this:

Can we afford to fix our LB concerns through free agency, thus freeing up our draft focus nearly 100% toward the offense? (Specifically in the early rounds)

I've made the argument several times that Ray Horton will not have a rookie ILB, regardless of the draft status, calling our defense next year. So if Paris Lenon, who bottom line cannot defend the run, doesn’t' return it would make sense to invest some money in a guy like…

Larry Foote? Someone who knows Pittsburgh schemes in and out, and would have an instant repore with Ray Horton. He's a few years younger than Lenon and should be able to buy us some time with that position.

The other issue is the OLB position opposite Sam Acho. Groves was a solid pickup but I personally don't few him as a starter while Schofield is coming off another major injury. Acho himself had a disapointing year when it came to rushing the passer.

Here are some names set to be free agents on the OLB market…
Anthony Spencer, Paul Kruger, Connor Barwin, Shaun Phillips. Cliff Avril.

Bottom line, can we afford two new starting LBs in free agency?

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Linebacking Needs and Free Agency Reply with quote

The potential OLBs you mentioned will all command salaries that we can't afford.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Our Linebacking Needs and Free Agency Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
Here are some names set to be free agents on the OLB market…
Anthony Spencer, Paul Kruger, Connor Barwin, Shaun Phillips. Cliff Avril

Unless we miraculously find a huge amount of cap room we can cross each and every one of those names off the list. All of them are going to be too expensive for us, that and Kruger has been used more as a 43/34 end hybrid as opposed to a 43 end/34 backer hybrid.

We might be able to pick up a veteran ILB on the cheap, but if that is the case, with the quality out there I would rather just bring Paris back and draft a guy in the 5th-7th round who we think has a smart player, and technically good who can grow into the ILB position and work in some defensive calls for someone else on the defense.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we hope to continue ascension on defense, we have to find a replacement for Paris Lenon. Period. He is such a liability once the whistle is blown.

And you could make the argument our OLB are the weakest in the league in terms of teams running a 3-4.

We have so many other needs, specifically on offense, we can't afford to take either position high IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me James Harrison. Probably the greatest 3-4 OLB against the run I've seen. Use him like the Niners used Manny Lawson.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
stchamp98

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
If we hope to continue ascension on defense, we have to find a replacement for Paris Lenon. Period. He is such a liability once the whistle is blown.

And you could make the argument our OLB are the weakest in the league in terms of teams running a 3-4.

We have so many other needs, specifically on offense, we can't afford to take either position high IMO.

All true but our financial situation is what it is. The guys you mentioned at OLB are going to command serious dollars that even decent financial teams would have to think about before committing. For us, they're not realistic targets.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think Anthony Spencer is going to want big money but he won't get it unless a team over pays.

Also, I think it really matters how the front office manages the offseason and structures their deals..
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have faith that if we wanted to sign someone then we can.

It is only moving money around, think about moving cash from your back pocket to your front, you still have it, just in a different place.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:

It is only moving money around, think about moving cash from your back pocket to your front, you still have it, just in a different place.

That won't work with the way our current 2-14-2015 contracts are structures and with who we have coming up as FAs during that time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly how much money would Larry Foote or Shaun Phillips command I can't imagine it would be that outrageous
stchamp98

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusi10 wrote:
Honestly how much money would Larry Foote or Shaun Phillips command I can't imagine it would be that outrageous

Foote shouldn't get much, IMO. Phillips is going to be paid better than you think. 24 sacks last 3 years, plus run defender.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:

That won't work with the way our current 2-14-2015 contracts are structures and with who we have coming up as FAs during that time.

Larry's Cap hit between 2013 and 2014 goes up 8M, that is like adding another elite player to the cap.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
DJ_Fka wrote:

Larry's Cap hit between 2013 and 2014 goes up 8M, that is like adding another elite player to the cap.

Exactly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: