Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints focus at #15: Best Player vs Best Deal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What should Saints do with the 15th pick?
Keep it and take BPA
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Trade it for more picks
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Saints focus at #15: Best Player vs Best Deal? Reply with quote

So the Saints have secured the 15th overall selection in this upcoming NFL draft. Now the question is whether the Saints should be more focused on landing the best player they can at that position or the best deal.

My vote goes for the best deal…

It is plainly obvious that this Saints defense is more than one player away and offensively they have some deficiencies that need attention as well. Combined with the fact that the Saints currently are lacking a full deck of draft picks and will find themselves very cap restricted in free agency, I feel it is imperative for Mickey Loomis to find a trade partner who is willing to move up for the 15th overall selection and allow the Saints to move back and acquire more picks this April.

Other reasoning to rationalize this move happens to be the overall depth at defensive line in this year’s draft class. Just because the Saints move back doesn’t nessacerely mean they won’t still land an impact defender with their first selection. Also, because of the Saints cap situation and overall make up on defense, the Saints need to focus on getting younger, cheaper and more athletic throughout the roster.

Now, saying we need to trade down is the easy part. The hard part is finding that trade partner that’s willing to pay the price to move up. I do feel Loomis will find that team though… because of the new rookie wage scale teams are not afraid to make moves because of financial commitments any longer and due to the top heavy talent pool of this draft there is sure to be a number of players available at 15 for the Saints to sell the pick to the highest bidder.

So that’s my opinion… what’s yours regarding the manner in which the Saints should handle the 15th overall pick?

PS: For those who feel that Godell will grow a conscious and award us with our 2nd round pick back (even modifying it into two later picks instead) are kidding themselves. This man will make this even more personal now after the players won their fight and he’ll turn his anger toward those who have no union to defend themselves.

Think about it, if Godell wanted to save face… Payton would already be reinstated by now. No, this is now personal for Godell and he will do all he can to hinder yet another Saints season by keeping Payton out as long as possible and denying a modification of our suspended draft pick.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends to me. If a top tier player falls that fills a need then I say we stay at 15. If there's no stud prospect available, I'd like to trade back to the mid to late 20's and try to get a 2nd rounder.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
It all depends to me. If a top tier player falls that fills a need then I say we stay at 15. If there's no stud prospect available, I'd like to trade back to the mid to late 20's and try to get a 2nd rounder.

I clearly understand that... My view stems from say, the Saints covet a disruptive interior defensive lineman. Instead of say drafting Sheldon Richardson at 15, I'd rather move back to 24-30 and take Sharif Floyd while adding picks.

I just don't see a whole lot of drop off from players like Richardson to Floyd, Montgomery to Okafor, Banks to Logan.

wow_junky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What players would you definitely take at 15 Worm?
FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

I clearly understand that... My view stems from say, the Saints covet a disruptive interior defensive lineman. Instead of say drafting Sheldon Richardson at 15, I'd rather move back to 24-30 and take Sharif Floyd while adding picks.

I just don't see a whole lot of drop off from players like Richardson to Floyd, Montgomery to Okafor, Banks to Logan.

I'd say move back. Good drafting teams like the Ravens and Pats do it and still get good value. I'm tired of trading up so much, instead of trading back.

Adopt-a-Saint
SWATcha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
I'm tired of trading up so much, instead of trading back.

That's the problem though. Payton doesn't trade back, he trades up. Even for players the Saints don't have a pressing need for. Ingram anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWATcha wrote:
FLOODx wrote:
I'm tired of trading up so much, instead of trading back.

That's the problem though. Payton doesn't trade back, he trades up. Even for players the Saints don't have a pressing need for. Ingram anyone?

That's what I'm saying. We have no reason to trade up, especially for an offensive player. Only way I see them doing that in the first is for Luke Joeckel

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:

I think it really depends...

I for one am not all on the BPA montra, I think its a myth! It's always more like BPA at a position of need for a franchise. With that thinking I feel the Saints top positions of need are DE, OT, CB, LB & DT.

Now are there any players at those positions that I feel the Saints would be foolish to bypass at 15? Remember, I say trading up is NOT an option. So with all that here are the players (if they are there at 15) I would take and not trade.

1. Luke Joeckel: Won't be there
2. Star Lotulelei: Won't be there
3. Bjoern Werner: Won't be there
4. Demontre Moore: Won't be there
5. Jarvis Jones: Won't be there

In my opinion, anyone outside this top 5 there talent level at 15 isn't that much of a drop off from a player we could get in the late 20's.

Unless we can land one of these guys I say get moving.

FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your opinion on Milliner?

Adopt-a-Saint
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
What's your opinion on Milliner?

I like Milliner... I think he's a solid corner but I have him more in the mold of a Kareem Jackson when he came out of Alabama than a Pat Peterson/Mo Claiborne. Just because a guy is the top player at his position, dosent mean he's automatically a top 10 pick.

Getting Milliner at 15 would be a good value and I would not be opposed to it but If corner was the target I would rather a trade down to get picks and land a guy like Logan Ryan of Rutgers (who I feel is a top 25 pick).

Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
wow_junky wrote:

I think it really depends...

I for one am not all on the BPA montra, I think its a myth! It's always more like BPA at a position of need for a franchise. With that thinking I feel the Saints top positions of need are DE, OT, CB, LB & DT.

Now are there any players at those positions that I feel the Saints would be foolish to bypass at 15? Remember, I say trading up is NOT an option. So with all that here are the players (if they are there at 15) I would take and not trade.

1. Luke Joeckel: Won't be there
2. Star Lotulelei: Won't be there
3. Bjoern Werner: Won't be there
4. Demontre Moore: Won't be there
5. Jarvis Jones: Won't be there

In my opinion, anyone outside this top 5 there talent level at 15 isn't that much of a drop off from a player we could get in the late 20's.

Unless we can land one of these guys I say get moving.

Jarvis Jones could definitely be there, from what I've heard teams are very concerned about his injury. It could shorten his career to 6-7 years maximum.

RTR
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Raves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark my words, by the time the combine is over, Hankins is going to be high on our boards.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Mark my words, by the time the combine is over, Hankins is going to be high on our boards.

I hope not. Hankins will be a good player but we need pass rush, Hankins doesn't offer much of that. We NEED an edge rusher, if we want to stick with Spags its not a want its a NEED. His system relies on it, if we can't get an edge rush we're back in the top 15 next year.

RTR
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Raves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:

I hope not. Hankins will be a good player but we need pass rush, Hankins doesn't offer much of that. We NEED an edge rusher, if we want to stick with Spags its not a want its a NEED. His system relies on it, if we can't get an edge rush we're back in the top 15 next year.

You really didn't watch much of Ohio State if you don't think he offered much of a pass rush. Stats don't always tell you what happened in a game. That's why I said, by the end of the combine and the draft comes around, we'll see Hankins ranked pretty high.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Raves wrote:

You really didn't watch much of Ohio State if you don't think he offered much of a pass rush. Stats don't always tell you what happened in a game. That's why I said, by the end of the combine and the draft comes around, we'll see Hankins ranked pretty high.

I've seen a few Ohio State games, I wanted to get a look at Hankins but pass rushing simply isn't his strength. He doesn't use his hands well and his pass rush moves are pretty weak overall, he's a huge powerful body but he's not going to be a 6-8 sack DT. Regardless, we need a guy who's a threat on every down, thats not Hankins. Our DEs are easily the worst in the league in terms of rushing the passer and it needs to be addressed immediately.

RTR
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: