Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Understanding the 4-3 alignment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
Yeah, I hope Ware spends the majority of his snaps on the outside shoulder of the OT.

He will. Ware will play the 9 Position.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
matt79511

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
Yeah, I hope Ware spends the majority of his snaps on the outside shoulder of the OT.

Which would mean that the left end spends his snaps either over the right tackle or between the tackle and guard, right?

Don't know if anyone expects Spencer to start at DE for us next year, but this should rule it out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

But if you play Ware wide like that, outside the tackle, every down.. you are just playing with fire. The guy hasn't been able to stay healthy the last couple seasons - sure, he's not missed much time at all, but you're asking for him to when you're singling him out like that. Visually, playing wide off the shoulder of the tackle looks like it is less gruesome and plays to the advantage of a speedy rusher off the edge; but in actuallity a good tackle can easily clobber a speed rusher coming in wide like that. It allows for the tackle to set their hips and square their shoulders before impact.

Playing heads up on the tackle isn't all that much better or safer for an aging star, but it at least provides the opportunity for choice in Ware's course of attack. Inside or outside, a tackle has to adjust and square up in too little time for a guy like Ware, who is so versatile he should probably be playing a much more mixed role than a blind pass rusher anyway.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting take on the SOLB position.
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/1/28/3926174/where-does-alex-albright-fit-in-the-new-dallas-2-scheme

I didnt realize that Connor played the SAM position in carolina. Most people havent been considering Connor an option. I realize he may be cut and wasnt spectacular this season though.
Quote:
As of right now, one of those options includes Dan Connor, who played the Sam position in Carolina.

Ernie Sims could possibly be brought back to play the position. If nothing else--great depth.
Quote:
Before we say that Sims is too small (6-0, 230), I want to point out that Jonathan Bales did some excellent research on the average size of Monte Kiffin's defensive players in Tampa Bay from 2003-2008. According to Bales, the average strong-side linebacker stood in at 6-1, and weighed 235 pounds. So by looking over the average size of Kiffin's Sam linebacker, Sims would be pretty close to an ideal fit.

I agree, even if albright doesnt start, i see him getting in on certain packages.
Quote:
Albright is an interesting player because of his size (6-5, 260) and versatility. Maybe he won't become the starting Sam linebacker, but it's probable he could play a role similar to Mathias Kiwanuka of the New York Giants. Kiwanuka also hails from Boston College and stands in at 6-5, 267. The Giants list him as their starting Sam linebacker, but they also move him to defensive and in their "NASCAR" package.

This could be. Wilber has talent though, and will be given the chance to take the job.
Quote:
This kid has been moved around too much for him to become a starter in 2013, but down the road Wilber could find a role with the Cowboys in some capacity.

Quote:
At Wake Forest, Wilber went from 4-3 defensive end to a 3-4 outside linebacker. When he arrived in Dallas as a rookie, Rob Ryan wanted him to get comfortable in his role at outside linebacker. Due to a variety of injuries, Ryan had to make due and play Wilbur in more of a inside linebacker role.

Quote:
reminds me a lot of Spencer, he's a versatile player who is a good athlete and possesses good strength, but entering the draft there were concerns about where he could play in the NFL because of his size (6-4, 246). Is he too small to play 4-3 DE? Is he not fast enough to play 4-3 LB? It would be asking a lot of him to come into another new position and become the starter right away.

After reading this article I think our starting Sam linebacker is on the roster. Hopefully we keep either Connor or re-sign Ernie Sims or both--in order to create competition at this position as well as the other linebacker spots.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us don't have Connor returning because he was quite bad against the pass and also will cost way too much. Should he take a drastic pay cut, I have no problem with him returning.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: