Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Understanding the 4-3 alignment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
htfryar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I should clarify my inquiry. If we are going to go the 4-3 path, I would like to see the heavy rotation along the front seven that we saw with Jimmy. I am think Craw/Liss at DE. Ware/Wilbur at DE. Lee/Albright/Lemon at MLB. Not saying keep all of them, but why could it not work is more so my question.

With Albright and Wilber at MLB and DE, who is going to play SOLB? Both of those guys look capable of manning that spot, thus lessening the number of holes that have to be filled. That gives us better flexibility in FA and the Draft.

As for Lissemore at DE, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot at it. But, I think he is a better fit at DT.

Not saying they all have to go to those spot. More so asking the opinion of individually if everyone thinks they could fit. Working an my off-season and wanted to add a few wrinkles. How I go with the draft depends on how I shuffle some players around. These three I got hung up the most on. This is more so for my benefit than anything else.

Instead of MLB, I could see Albright being Ware's backup at Weakside DE. He played it in college.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There were several things that I learned about this roster last season that will help me when it comes to finding players for this upcoming 2013 NFL Draft. Regardless of the scheme change, this defense is in great hands with Sean Lee and Bruce Carter as the major pieces of it. The scheme calls for an athletic, aware, solid tacking middle linebacker which fits Lee to a tee.

As outstanding as Lee is finding the football, working his way through trash and making tackles, he is even better as a defender in pass coverage. He can play man coverage but has a really nice feel for zone drops and where he needs to fit. His ability to react was put on display several times this season against Tampa on a zone drop, then driving on the ball for an interception. Then against Carolina where the receiver ran a route behind him on third down and he was able to knock the ball loose. Lee will benefit having two defensive linemen in front of him instead of just one. By playing covered, he really has a chance to chase the ball because he will not have to always take on blocks. Leeís ability to read scheme quickly will really help him in this defense both run and pass.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddus/Broaddus-Changing-Schemes-Will-Benefit-Lee-As-Inside-Backer-/560a1e53-8a60-4ab7-9eeb-415df9ad884b?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I should clarify my inquiry. If we are going to go the 4-3 path, I would like to see the heavy rotation along the front seven that we saw with Jimmy. I am think Craw/Liss at DE. Ware/Wilbur at DE. Lee/Albright/Lemon at MLB. Not saying keep all of them, but why could it not work is more so my question.

With Albright and Wilber at MLB and DE, who is going to play SOLB? Both of those guys look capable of manning that spot, thus lessening the number of holes that have to be filled. That gives us better flexibility in FA and the Draft.

As for Lissemore at DE, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a shot at it. But, I think he is a better fit at DT.

Not saying they all have to go to those spot. More so asking the opinion of individually if everyone thinks they could fit. Working an my off-season and wanted to add a few wrinkles. How I go with the draft depends on how I shuffle some players around. These three I got hung up the most on. This is more so for my benefit than anything else.

Instead of MLB, I could see Albright being Ware's backup at Weakside DE. He played it in college.

I am actually not a fan of Ware spending the rest of his career at DE. A 43 end tends to wear out at the back end of a season, double so after 10 years in the NFL. He has a knack for shedding blockers, experience playing coverage, and is a quality tackler - I'd be pretty thrilled to see Ware utilized more in hybrid role. Dropping in and out of the end spot to linebacker and back depending on his assignments and the formation.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
TVScout

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
There were several things that I learned about this roster last season that will help me when it comes to finding players for this upcoming 2013 NFL Draft. Regardless of the scheme change, this defense is in great hands with Sean Lee and Bruce Carter as the major pieces of it. The scheme calls for an athletic, aware, solid tacking middle linebacker which fits Lee to a tee.

As outstanding as Lee is finding the football, working his way through trash and making tackles, he is even better as a defender in pass coverage. He can play man coverage but has a really nice feel for zone drops and where he needs to fit. His ability to react was put on display several times this season against Tampa on a zone drop, then driving on the ball for an interception. Then against Carolina where the receiver ran a route behind him on third down and he was able to knock the ball loose. Lee will benefit having two defensive linemen in front of him instead of just one. By playing covered, he really has a chance to chase the ball because he will not have to always take on blocks. Leeís ability to read scheme quickly will really help him in this defense both run and pass.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddus/Broaddus-Changing-Schemes-Will-Benefit-Lee-As-Inside-Backer-/560a1e53-8a60-4ab7-9eeb-415df9ad884b?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This ^
jonkelly69

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ware will be just fine in this scheme just like he'd be in any other. He rushed the passer as frequently as most featured pass rushers would have last year and that role won't change much at all in the new scheme.
TVScout

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is how well the D-staff will be at teaching DE techniques to Ware.
DallasPride28

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure its not completely foreign for ware who played in college and a lot of snaps with his hand in the ground. He will be just as good or better now that he can focus on just rushing the passer.

Adopt-A-Cowboy(Dez Bryant)
46 catches, 706 yards, 7 touchdown, 15.3 average
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:

Don't see how thats an issue at all seeing as we now have arguably the best DL coach in the league. I think he'll teach him just fine.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
TVScout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TVScout wrote:

Don't see how thats an issue at all seeing as we now have arguably the best DL coach in the league. I think he'll teach him just fine.

I really hope so because Parcells and Cupcake sure didn't.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TVScout wrote:

Think Charles Haley. A 3-4 OLB for six seasons before he came to Dallas and transitioned to a 4-3 end. Didn't seem to affect him all that much.

^^^Deadpulse
matt79511

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TVScout wrote:

I really hope so because Parcells and Cupcake sure didn't.

Yeah Ware was brutal under them, amazing how much better Rob Ryan made him.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kiffinís defenses have typically emphasized speed over size at most positions, and thatís certainly a plus for a Cowboys defense that seems as if it hasnít kept up with the NFLís pass-happy evolution. Still, the truth is that the best defensive coordinators tailor their scheme around their personnel.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-JonathanBales/RTN-How-Cowboys-Personnel-Fits-Monte-Kiffens-4-3-Defense/bf6245c0-9280-4322-bcbe-73c1d239f819

Really nice breakdown of players and their fit.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:
Kiffinís defenses have typically emphasized speed over size at most positions, and thatís certainly a plus for a Cowboys defense that seems as if it hasnít kept up with the NFLís pass-happy evolution. Still, the truth is that the best defensive coordinators tailor their scheme around their personnel.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-JonathanBales/RTN-How-Cowboys-Personnel-Fits-Monte-Kiffens-4-3-Defense/bf6245c0-9280-4322-bcbe-73c1d239f819

Really nice breakdown of players and their fit.

I've come across that just earlier while browsing there, actually. I rarely go there after I left it, but i'm glad I went today. That is one heck of a good read actually and intended to link it here myself before I saw you beat me to it!

My main concern, despite all of that however, is how Ware will hold up at end in a 43 front. He's battled injuries the last couple seasons, and things get a lot more nitty gritty when you're heads up on the tackle every down.

Beyond that, I also still think you'll limit him from some of the stuff that has made him a HoF'er besides his fancy stat counts: his versatility! he's great at sealing the far edges, and that is VERY important in most cover 2 heavy schemes. He'd be of more use beyond pass rushing, if he can stay healthy, and we played him upright as a backer.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas94Ware wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

I am actually not a fan of Ware spending the rest of his career at DE. A 43 end tends to wear out at the back end of a season, double so after 10 years in the NFL. He has a knack for shedding blockers, experience playing coverage, and is a quality tackler - I'd be pretty thrilled to see Ware utilized more in hybrid role. Dropping in and out of the end spot to linebacker and back depending on his assignments and the formation.

So you think he'd be better in like the elephant role that Matts mentioned in the OP?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hope Ware spends the majority of his snaps on the outside shoulder of the OT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: