Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Understanding the 4-3 alignment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
I literally laughed a big goofy laugh Matts, when my suspicions were confirmed by clicking the complain about Jerry link.

I saw it when Matts first started the thread, laughed a lot, and then moved on. It was quite funny.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stein07 wrote:
Here is my question. What if we keep Anthony Spencer and somehow get him signed. I was thinking (on paper) that this lineup would be so sick. Im sure people will give me opinions on why it wont work but here it goes.

Ware and Spears/Crawford on the ends.
Ratliff and HAtcher in the middle.

Carter Lee and Spencer all being the 3 linebackers.

That would be so sick in fantasy land.

Spears would likely move to DT in that scheme because of the interior pressure of the defense. What we'll see a lot of are stunts and twists, both inside and outside, as means of generating more QB pressure.

Northland wrote:
Stein07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh gotcha, yeah i just think that having spencer at a linebacker pos would make it pretty sweet Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, Matts.

LOL @ the complain about Jerrah link
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
I literally laughed a big goofy laugh Matts, when my suspicions were confirmed by clicking the complain about Jerry link.

I saw it when Matts first started the thread, laughed a lot, and then moved on. It was quite funny.

HOW DID I MISS THAT?!

Gold. Pure, pure gold.

[See - this is how the forum used to be. Strong opinions, sure. But we could have fun with one another.]

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePlaymaker86 wrote:
Great thread, Matts.

Do you know why he did that? There is a long history behind it.

Northland wrote:
ThePlaymaker86

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
ThePlaymaker86 wrote:
Great thread, Matts.

Yeah. I'm new, but I've stalked this board for awhile.

You're part of the DCRA, so naturally you have a love for Jerrah Wink
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePlaymaker86 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
ThePlaymaker86 wrote:
Great thread, Matts.

You're part of the DCRA, so naturally you have a love for Jerrah
Wink

I know I have a bad sense of scarcasm but I really hope that is scarcasm Laughing

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Jerry link. Very Happy

When everybody isnt bickering back and forth this forum makes me laugh out loud literally quite often.

As for the front seven of our 4-3...

This is how i see things:

**If retained.

Defensive Line:

DT: Lissemore, Ratliff**, Hatcher, Spears**
I think this is a pretty solid group of 4-3 DT's. Ratliff and Hatcher being the starters and Lissemore being a good rotation guy. I listed spears because this is the only spot he fits. Some people still think spears can generate some pass rush in this defense, but hes never shown any pass rushing ability in his nfl career. Id look to upgrade spears if possible.

DE: Ware, Crawford,
At this point I recognize crawford has talent, but i dont think we can rely on him being a starter going into the season. This is a spot that we need to upgrade in FA or the Draft.

With the current roster the way to get our best defensive lineman on the field would be Hatcher playing some end with our DT's being lisse and rat and ware on the other end. I hope we upgrade the end spot so that hatcher wont have to slim back down to play the outside.

Linebackers: *****Id like to say that im not sure where Orie Lemon fits, but I think he can win a back up position at either inside or backing up carter on the outside. Especially if connor is cut. Lemon has been one of my "pets" the past couple years in the 3-4 even though he didnt have much of a shot to break through the lineup this past year. He got injured when his chance came. I havent seen quite enough of him, or know the 43 defense quite well enough to say which spot he fits better, but i am hopeful he can find a spot on the game day roster. Id really like someone who is more of an expert tell me where he would fit.

Again: **If retained.
****not sure where fits

SLB: Albright, Wilber
Obviously probably going to be the job thats up for grabs and our "weakest" linebacker spot, but i dont think it absolutely needs to be upgraded either. Albright is incredibly smart and will do what he has to to get himself in the right spots to make the plays necessary. Wilber has more athleticism, is a draft pick, and has more potential. Camp battle!

MLB: Lee, Connor**,****,Orie Lemon****not sure connor fits, besides this spot if we keep him. See above for Lemon.

LB: Carter, Lemon****, Im not sure if lemon is quick enough to play this spot. I feel like Ernie sims could play this spot (as a backup) if we resign him.

Secondary

Corners: We should be solid here if kiffen plays kind of a press man/zone. Our corners are physical and Id like to see them used somewhat like seattle uses their physical guys.

Safety: Upgrade needed. A rangy free safety would be nice. Im not holding my breath for Matt Johnson. Sensabaugh should be cut. He doesnt fit either spot IMO. Hopeful Church comes back healthy and can man the SS spot.
matt79511

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawford played so much better this year than this board seems to think he did. Also, left end in this scheme (assuming Kiffin is, in fact, running a 4-3 Under) is basically the same as 2-gap 3-4 DE.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
[See - this is how the forum used to be. Strong opinions, sure. But we could have fun with one another.]

It has been oddly peaceful around here lately. Mr. Green

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
ThePlaymaker86

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
ThePlaymaker86 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
ThePlaymaker86 wrote:
Great thread, Matts.

You're part of the DCRA, so naturally you have a love for Jerrah
Wink

I know I have a bad sense of scarcasm but I really hope that is scarcasm Laughing
Lol, definitely sarcasm
G-osh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it:

J. Ratliff at under-tackle (rush the passer, this will revive his career)

M. Spears at NT (take up blocks/ stuff the run, also will revive his career)

D. Ware at RDE (honestly he's not much of a linebacker, let him pin his ears back and rush)

J. Hatcher LDE (disrupt the run & passing game, think this would be a better position for him then 3-4 DE where he is pretty good)

S. Lee MLB (key to the Tampa-2 switch, he's gonna get so many picks in this D)

B. Carter ROLB (make tackles all over the field with his speed)

A. Spencer LOLB (stuff the run, move to LDE on third downs and nickel while Hatcher moves to DT replacing Spears, think 4-3 LOLB is his best fit)

B. Carr LCB (wanted to cut him before the switch because he is too slow, but in the Tampa-2 his lack of speed wont be as noticeable while his tackling ability will be greatly needed)

M. Claiborne RCB (hopefully the switch will put him in position to use his WR skills to intercept more balls, needs to bulk up in his first full off-season to be able to play the run well)

The safety position is up in the air. Maybe Sensabaugh plays the SS spot, maybe he doesn't. Hopefully we can pry Ronde Barber away from the Bucs. He could be a captain on the game field and a player-coach on the practice field.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post, Matts.

I really like the 4-3 in general, but defintly also for the Cowboys. I actually think that we have fewer need in a 4-3.

- I trust having Hatcher and Ratliff starting in the middle and Ware at RDE if his body can do it. I trust having Lee, Carter and Connor starting at LB'er. That leaves us with an safety and maybe a DE (I do have some hope for Crawford) as our needs. In a 3-4 we would need a NT, OLB, FS and probably a LDE as well. That's 4 needs compared to 2 needs in a 4-3 setup.

As for backups in a 4-3, we got Sims and Albright at LB'er (could need to add one more). Lissemore at DT and also that guy who we signed a future contract with who did play good for the Bucs in a 4-3, Spears would be decent for depth purposes. We would need to pick up a extra DE I think if not two, since Butler is not a fit as DE, maybe on passing downs but that's it. I also have my doubts of WIlber being able to bulk up to have a shot at playing in a 4-3.

But I really do think that Ratliff will bounce back in this scheme. I think that he showed in his limited time on the field this season, that he still can play football.
matt79511

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilber's 6'4" 240. That was actually one of his selling points, size/strength. He definitely intrigues me as a SAM, and if not, it's not an especially difficult position to fill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: