Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chud's Chums Chit Chat (Coaching Staff Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Maybe it's just me but if we get Horton my confidence in Chud will sky rocket. Going to be hard screwing up with two great coordinators

Completely agree.

Surround him with veteran good coordinators and let him worry about coach stuff rather than being overwhelmed.

#JDI
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Maybe it's just me but if we get Horton my confidence in Chud will sky rocket. Going to be hard screwing up with two great coordinators

Lombardi can handle that part of it! Brick wall d'oh!

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
what is bad about Horton is that he wants a HC job, and the Cleveland DC job is just a backup plan at best. He will bounce and leave at his first opportunity...

And that will only happen if he does a good job for us.

I will take that right now and not think twice about it.

here here Reggie, great point!

PREACH BROTHERS!!!!!! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
buno67

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
what is bad about Horton is that he wants a HC job, and the Cleveland DC job is just a backup plan at best. He will bounce and leave at his first opportunity...

ok Horton comes in and he does a great job of helping the Browns transition from the 4/3 to the 3/4...He does such a great job that he leaves for a HC position...now what happens to the Browns tho. Yea he looked good helping the browns defense grow but him leaving just stunted the growth or completely killed it because than we either go back to the 4/3 or we get a lesser 3/4 DC and turns what Horton ever did into crap.

I would want security. If Horton looks good as his first year in Cleveland an Organzation will use that as a selling point to hire him and the Browns defense is suck in Limbo on their defense again

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

ok Horton comes in and he does a great job of helping the Browns transition from the 4/3 to the 3/4...He does such a great job that he leaves for a HC position...now what happens to the Browns tho. Yea he looked good helping the browns defense grow but him leaving just stunted the growth or completely killed it because than we either go back to the 4/3 or we get a lesser 3/4 DC and turns what Horton ever did into crap.

I would want security. If Horton looks good as his first year in Cleveland an Organzation will use that as a selling point to hire him and the Browns defense is suck in Limbo on their defense again

So you're saying that Horton is a lesser candidate because he might leave for a HC job.

That's fine to have that as a criteria to choose for your DC, but it's not one of my criteria. Great coaches have a way of spreading their greatness to the coaches underneath them. Baltimore, New England, and Pittsburgh have been doing it for years.

Give me the best guy, and he'll not only do a great job, but he'll improve the guys that work for him.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
buno67 wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

So you're saying that Horton is a lesser candidate because he might leave for a HC job.

That's fine to have that as a criteria to choose for your DC, but it's not one of my criteria. Great coaches have a way of spreading their greatness to the coaches underneath them. Baltimore, New England, and Pittsburgh have been doing it for years.

Give me the best guy, and he'll not only do a great job, but he'll improve the guys that work for him.

this.

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
buno67 wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

+1

Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
buno67 wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Ive done plenty of hiring for various businesses, plus been on a board for hiring coaches as well, and if I knew that a person was using my job as a stepping stone and would be quickly to move somewhere else I wold absolutely consider that negative. Plus, if I knew that they did NOT truly WANT the job I was offering and was only taking as a last option I would be even less inclined to hire that person.

Im not saying Horton might not do a great job in the very short term, but if Im the person hiring Im not looking for a very short term solution.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
Ive done plenty of hiring for various businesses, plus been on a board for hiring coaches as well, and if I knew that a person was using my job as a stepping stone and would be quickly to move somewhere else I wold absolutely consider that negative. Plus, if I knew that they did NOT truly WANT the job I was offering and was only taking as a last option I would be even less inclined to hire that person.

Im not saying Horton might not do a great job in the very short term, but if Im the person hiring Im not looking for a very short term solution.

I would do the same thing, but this is the NFL. Every coordinator out there is looking for a HC gig. And the only way you get there is by doing a great job. This is coaching at the highest level, and there aren't very many options out there, so I personally wouldn't use it as a criteria to fill this particular opening.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

I would do the same thing, but this is the NFL. Every coordinator out there is looking for a HC gig. And the only way you get there is by doing a great job. This is coaching at the highest level, and there aren't very many options out there, so I personally wouldn't use it as a criteria to fill this particular opening.

From all the talk from Haslem from the Chud hire and now the Lombardi hire,
-- I dont think Halsem is into hiring short term coaches.
-- I think Halsem is looking to hire coaches that WANT to coach in Cleveland.

Horton looks to be one the top available DCs, but their are other DCs out there that could potentially do just as good of a job with the defense and would want to stay with the Browns.

--- people may hate lombardi but at least he wants to be here... cant say the same for horton.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
buno67 wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

see thats the only draw back for me from hiring Horton. I would love to have a DC like him, Im just afraid what coulld happen to this team if he leaves after a year. If we were able to get like 3years out of him I would be find because by than the defense could be together that someone that learned under him would be able to pick up where he left off but I dont know if I could see that happening after one year.

another thing to look at is...is he truly that great of a DC or coach...hasnt gotten a HC job even tho ppl were calling him one of hottest candidates and might not be asked back to coach a defense that he created and etc. It does show some areas of concerned

to me I just hate moving to the 3/4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, every job that Horton interviewed for (like the Browns HC and the Cardinals HC) he was passed over for other people. He was even linked to the Cowboys DC position, but thats now been filled as well.

Are the Browns the "primary" landing spot for Horton only because its one of the last DC jobs open? Many teams with DC openings didnt even consider him apparently...

screw that....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
Plus, every job that Horton interviewed for (like the Browns HC and the Cardinals HC) he was passed over for other people. He was even linked to the Cowboys DC position, but thats now been filled as well.

Are the Browns the "primary" landing spot for Horton only because its one of the last DC jobs open? Many teams with DC openings didnt even consider him apparently...

screw that....

yeah i like the idea of him...like mel tucker more but just trying to play devils advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at AZ's defense, there is no reason not to want the guy.

#JDI
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
If you look at AZ's defense, there is no reason not to want the guy.
+1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 15 of 22

Jump to: