Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pettine: Both 3-4 and 4-3 Fronts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TommyC376

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Pettine: Both 3-4 and 4-3 Fronts Reply with quote

Quote:
Pettine talked about his new job with the Bills’ official website, and he was asked whether he’ll be using a 3-4 or a 4-3.
"The answer is really yes to both," Pettine said. "We’ll be a multiple front, multiple coverage defense. The trademark of our defense is we’re going to be smart, tough and relentless".

3-4 and 4-3 for Bills

I am excited to see what he does with the defense. We really need to add some more pieces to the defense in both FA and Draft.

IMO, we could use:
#2 CB.
LBs
DE Depth (Williams, Moore, Anderson) We need to add more though.
Safety (either SS or FS, I would like to see what Aaron Williams could at the safety spot)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be so refreshing to see our defense actually blitz for once...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bills need to make sure Byrd is back

The bills can use some 3-4 players like Devito from the Jets and also I like the idea of bringing in Landry to play SS as well as playing searcy.

CB #2 is a must but not 1st rd pick i think signing a decent FA cb like Jenkins would be a good idea or talib

Thanks Max
TommyC376

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:

The bills can use some 3-4 players like Devito from the Jets and also I like the idea of bringing in Landry to play SS as well as playing searcy.

CB #2 is a must but not 1st rd pick i think signing a decent FA cb like Jenkins would be a good idea or talib
I want Derek Cox from Jacksonville.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
cdavls17 wrote:

He's my 1st choice for a FA solution. I think we have to find a quality CB to pair with Gilmore or our D will get shredded.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
cdavls17 wrote:

He's my 1st choice for a FA solution. I think we have to find a quality CB to pair with Gilmore or our D will get shredded.

I didnt watch enough of Cox, but if we were going the FA route for CB I would look at Sean Smith or Brent Grimes to physical corners that can press at the line of scrimage.

Max's 2010 Annual Draft Contest Winner

Adopt a Bill 2011- SS George Wilson
CB Drayton Florence
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKEJWN wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
cdavls17 wrote:

I didnt watch enough of Cox, but if we were going the FA route for CB I would look at Sean Smith or Brent Grimes to physical corners that can press at the line of scrimage.

Good options as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can all speculate who is and isn't going to be available in free agency and whether or not our teams should or will make a push for a need... However, you have to rely on the draft to build the core of your team. We need another corner and it has to be through the draft that we get one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveJohnson13 wrote:
It will be so refreshing to see our defense actually blitz for once...

I agree but with that comes some awesome plays and some plays where they get smoked. I guess better than teams walking up and down the field on us.

TommyC376^^^
DKTurtle51

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the idea of drafting another CB in round 1 makes everyone cringe, but Pettine's defense with the Jets was based around the secondary. They were able to bring pressure successfully because Revis and Cromartie could hold down the back end. If we want to follow that model in Buffalo, Dee Milliner could be a potential target with the #8 pick. Putting Milliner across from Gilmore would give our front 7 a lot of freedom and flexibility.

If Pettine brings a LB or two with him from New York, CB would be the only major need on defense. I dont think there will be value at the QB position when we pick in the 1st round. Milliner at #8, then trade back into the 1st round for our QB is a path I could definately see us taking.

^^^NickChowaniec^^^
BillSabre

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:
We can all speculate who is and isn't going to be available in free agency and whether or not our teams should or will make a push for a need... However, you have to rely on the draft to build the core of your team. We need another corner and it has to be through the draft that we get one.

First sentence is true. Second sentence is ridiculous. Every good team is built through good drafting. No certain position is included/excluded from getting a good piece to the puzzle via free agency.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Who got that sack? Cameron Jordan? Jordan Cameron? Michael Jordan? Cam Cameron? IM SO CONFUSED!
swolfdab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillSabre wrote:
swolfdab wrote:

First sentence is true. Second sentence is ridiculous. Every good team is built through good drafting. No certain position is included/excluded from getting a good piece to the puzzle via free agency.

You may have misunderstood where I was going. I am not saying cornerback is excluded nor any other position for that matter. I am saying that where we stand right now, free agency is not what we need to be worried about. We don't know what the pool looks like at corner, so we have to prepare for it as though we will not be signing a corner in free agency. If a guy that fits what Mike Pettine is trying to do is available for a bargain, then I'm all for it. But we can't sit here and depend on that. I am a firm believer in building through the draft, and I always will be. It's going to be hard to get me to believe that free agency is the answer, because 9 times out of 10, it is not.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:
BillSabre wrote:
swolfdab wrote:

You may have misunderstood where I was going. I am not saying cornerback is excluded nor any other position for that matter. I am saying that where we stand right now, free agency is not what we need to be worried about. We don't know what the pool looks like at corner, so we have to prepare for it as though we will not be signing a corner in free agency. If a guy that fits what Mike Pettine is trying to do is available for a bargain, then I'm all for it. But we can't sit here and depend on that. I am a firm believer in building through the draft, and I always will be. It's going to be hard to get me to believe that free agency is the answer, because 9 times out of 10, it is not.

Ah...I hadn't responded to your earlier post, but this clears things up quite a bit. I also agree wholeheartedly with this. Not only is it the most cost effective way to solve personnel problems, it also increases our chances of having long-term relationships with key players.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:
BillSabre wrote:
swolfdab wrote:

Ok, so we all agree on the basics. Your wording confused me some. You did write that the CB HAS to be addressed through the draft. Your second post cleared that up though.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Who got that sack? Cameron Jordan? Jordan Cameron? Michael Jordan? Cam Cameron? IM SO CONFUSED!
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis Jones could play both, every down OLB.. Definitely possible he is on board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: