Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pettine: Both 3-4 and 4-3 Fronts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10269
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Pettine: Both 3-4 and 4-3 Fronts Reply with quote

Quote:
Pettine talked about his new job with the Bills’ official website, and he was asked whether he’ll be using a 3-4 or a 4-3.
"The answer is really yes to both," Pettine said. "We’ll be a multiple front, multiple coverage defense. The trademark of our defense is we’re going to be smart, tough and relentless".


3-4 and 4-3 for Bills

I am excited to see what he does with the defense. We really need to add some more pieces to the defense in both FA and Draft.

IMO, we could use:
#2 CB.
LBs
DE Depth (Williams, Moore, Anderson) We need to add more though.
Safety (either SS or FS, I would like to see what Aaron Williams could at the safety spot)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteveJohnson13


Joined: 21 Dec 2008
Posts: 392
Location: Burlington CT
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be so refreshing to see our defense actually blitz for once...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
cdavls17


Joined: 28 Jan 2007
Posts: 3267
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bills need to make sure Byrd is back

The bills can use some 3-4 players like Devito from the Jets and also I like the idea of bringing in Landry to play SS as well as playing searcy.

CB #2 is a must but not 1st rd pick i think signing a decent FA cb like Jenkins would be a good idea or talib
_________________


Thanks Max
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10269
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
The bills need to make sure Byrd is back

The bills can use some 3-4 players like Devito from the Jets and also I like the idea of bringing in Landry to play SS as well as playing searcy.

CB #2 is a must but not 1st rd pick i think signing a decent FA cb like Jenkins would be a good idea or talib
I want Derek Cox from Jacksonville.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yibbyl


Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 2359
Location: Redding, CA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
cdavls17 wrote:
The bills need to make sure Byrd is back

The bills can use some 3-4 players like Devito from the Jets and also I like the idea of bringing in Landry to play SS as well as playing searcy.

CB #2 is a must but not 1st rd pick i think signing a decent FA cb like Jenkins would be a good idea or talib
I want Derek Cox from Jacksonville.

He's my 1st choice for a FA solution. I think we have to find a quality CB to pair with Gilmore or our D will get shredded.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NIKEJWN


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 2515
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
cdavls17 wrote:
The bills need to make sure Byrd is back

The bills can use some 3-4 players like Devito from the Jets and also I like the idea of bringing in Landry to play SS as well as playing searcy.

CB #2 is a must but not 1st rd pick i think signing a decent FA cb like Jenkins would be a good idea or talib
I want Derek Cox from Jacksonville.

He's my 1st choice for a FA solution. I think we have to find a quality CB to pair with Gilmore or our D will get shredded.


I didnt watch enough of Cox, but if we were going the FA route for CB I would look at Sean Smith or Brent Grimes to physical corners that can press at the line of scrimage.
_________________


Max's 2010 Annual Draft Contest Winner


Adopt a Bill 2011- SS George Wilson
CB Drayton Florence
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yibbyl


Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 2359
Location: Redding, CA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKEJWN wrote:
Yibbyl wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
cdavls17 wrote:
The bills need to make sure Byrd is back

The bills can use some 3-4 players like Devito from the Jets and also I like the idea of bringing in Landry to play SS as well as playing searcy.

CB #2 is a must but not 1st rd pick i think signing a decent FA cb like Jenkins would be a good idea or talib
I want Derek Cox from Jacksonville.

He's my 1st choice for a FA solution. I think we have to find a quality CB to pair with Gilmore or our D will get shredded.


I didnt watch enough of Cox, but if we were going the FA route for CB I would look at Sean Smith or Brent Grimes to physical corners that can press at the line of scrimage.

Good options as well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swolfdab


Joined: 01 Feb 2008
Posts: 1371
Location: Hayward, CA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can all speculate who is and isn't going to be available in free agency and whether or not our teams should or will make a push for a need... However, you have to rely on the draft to build the core of your team. We need another corner and it has to be through the draft that we get one.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jsnydes


Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 1649
Location: Bethlehem PA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveJohnson13 wrote:
It will be so refreshing to see our defense actually blitz for once...


I agree but with that comes some awesome plays and some plays where they get smoked. I guess better than teams walking up and down the field on us.
_________________


TommyC376^^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
DKTurtle51


Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Posts: 4977
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the idea of drafting another CB in round 1 makes everyone cringe, but Pettine's defense with the Jets was based around the secondary. They were able to bring pressure successfully because Revis and Cromartie could hold down the back end. If we want to follow that model in Buffalo, Dee Milliner could be a potential target with the #8 pick. Putting Milliner across from Gilmore would give our front 7 a lot of freedom and flexibility.

If Pettine brings a LB or two with him from New York, CB would be the only major need on defense. I dont think there will be value at the QB position when we pick in the 1st round. Milliner at #8, then trade back into the 1st round for our QB is a path I could definately see us taking.
_________________

^^^NickChowaniec^^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BillSabre


Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 2585
Location: Buffalo 716
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:
We can all speculate who is and isn't going to be available in free agency and whether or not our teams should or will make a push for a need... However, you have to rely on the draft to build the core of your team. We need another corner and it has to be through the draft that we get one.


First sentence is true. Second sentence is ridiculous. Every good team is built through good drafting. No certain position is included/excluded from getting a good piece to the puzzle via free agency.
_________________

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Who got that sack? Cameron Jordan? Jordan Cameron? Michael Jordan? Cam Cameron? IM SO CONFUSED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swolfdab


Joined: 01 Feb 2008
Posts: 1371
Location: Hayward, CA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillSabre wrote:
swolfdab wrote:
We can all speculate who is and isn't going to be available in free agency and whether or not our teams should or will make a push for a need... However, you have to rely on the draft to build the core of your team. We need another corner and it has to be through the draft that we get one.


First sentence is true. Second sentence is ridiculous. Every good team is built through good drafting. No certain position is included/excluded from getting a good piece to the puzzle via free agency.


You may have misunderstood where I was going. I am not saying cornerback is excluded nor any other position for that matter. I am saying that where we stand right now, free agency is not what we need to be worried about. We don't know what the pool looks like at corner, so we have to prepare for it as though we will not be signing a corner in free agency. If a guy that fits what Mike Pettine is trying to do is available for a bargain, then I'm all for it. But we can't sit here and depend on that. I am a firm believer in building through the draft, and I always will be. It's going to be hard to get me to believe that free agency is the answer, because 9 times out of 10, it is not.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yibbyl


Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 2359
Location: Redding, CA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:
BillSabre wrote:
swolfdab wrote:
We can all speculate who is and isn't going to be available in free agency and whether or not our teams should or will make a push for a need... However, you have to rely on the draft to build the core of your team. We need another corner and it has to be through the draft that we get one.


First sentence is true. Second sentence is ridiculous. Every good team is built through good drafting. No certain position is included/excluded from getting a good piece to the puzzle via free agency.


You may have misunderstood where I was going. I am not saying cornerback is excluded nor any other position for that matter. I am saying that where we stand right now, free agency is not what we need to be worried about. We don't know what the pool looks like at corner, so we have to prepare for it as though we will not be signing a corner in free agency. If a guy that fits what Mike Pettine is trying to do is available for a bargain, then I'm all for it. But we can't sit here and depend on that. I am a firm believer in building through the draft, and I always will be. It's going to be hard to get me to believe that free agency is the answer, because 9 times out of 10, it is not.

Ah...I hadn't responded to your earlier post, but this clears things up quite a bit. I also agree wholeheartedly with this. Not only is it the most cost effective way to solve personnel problems, it also increases our chances of having long-term relationships with key players.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BillSabre


Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 2585
Location: Buffalo 716
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:
BillSabre wrote:
swolfdab wrote:
We can all speculate who is and isn't going to be available in free agency and whether or not our teams should or will make a push for a need... However, you have to rely on the draft to build the core of your team. We need another corner and it has to be through the draft that we get one.


First sentence is true. Second sentence is ridiculous. Every good team is built through good drafting. No certain position is included/excluded from getting a good piece to the puzzle via free agency.


You may have misunderstood where I was going. I am not saying cornerback is excluded nor any other position for that matter. I am saying that where we stand right now, free agency is not what we need to be worried about. We don't know what the pool looks like at corner, so we have to prepare for it as though we will not be signing a corner in free agency. If a guy that fits what Mike Pettine is trying to do is available for a bargain, then I'm all for it. But we can't sit here and depend on that. I am a firm believer in building through the draft, and I always will be. It's going to be hard to get me to believe that free agency is the answer, because 9 times out of 10, it is not.


Ok, so we all agree on the basics. Your wording confused me some. You did write that the CB HAS to be addressed through the draft. Your second post cleared that up though.
_________________

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Who got that sack? Cameron Jordan? Jordan Cameron? Michael Jordan? Cam Cameron? IM SO CONFUSED!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BillsGuy82


Joined: 16 Jan 2007
Posts: 9511
Location: Niagara Falls
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis Jones could play both, every down OLB.. Definitely possible he is on board.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group