Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Demps and Ballard next season???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pats#1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Demps and Ballard next season??? Reply with quote

Now I'm pretty sure we have Demps coming back next season, which I think can be a real big help to our kickoff and punt receiving corps, as well as plug in back once in a while, perhaps a woodhead upgrade.

I'm really excited to see him play. Now when it comes to Ballard, I'm not sure what the deal is next season. I know we picked him up off waivers from the Giants, and me loving that BB did it right under Coughlins nose haha, but what is the situation for him and the Pats?

He was very good in NY if IIRC, and I would love to see the crap BB could put on the field with a receiving corps of Ballard, Hernandez, Gronk, and Welker. I'm not sure of Ballards blocking ability, does anyone know if he's more Gronk or Hernandez in the blocking area?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballard is more Gronk than anyone in the league I believe. Big body and soft hands. Was considered a real steal for someone who was promising before injury that he suffered and BB took chance on him continuing towards that and possibility of 3 TE set with those 3 guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
Ballard is more Gronk than anyone in the league I believe. Big body and soft hands. Was considered a real steal for someone who was promising before injury that he suffered and BB took chance on him continuing towards that and possibility of 3 TE set with those 3 guys.

Ballard is a better 3rd TE than Hooman or Fells for sure. I'd love to see him stick around.

Demps is also an interesting prospect, but I really don't know where he fits.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demps is definitley a quick burst wood head type guy but much quicker and more burst. He excells in return games, I saw him play a lot as an avid SEC veiwer/fan.
Pats#1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
Demps is definitley a quick burst wood head type guy but much quicker and more burst. He excells in return games, I saw him play a lot as an avid SEC veiwer/fan.

Ya that's what i was thinking. I mean, I like woodhead, but Demps, in theory, should be a very big upgrade.

the 3 TE set was my biggest thought on having Ballard. And like you said, I too remember people comparing him to Gronk. I'm very excited to see these two additions to the team next season. We already have an unbelievable offense, but putting in yet another big powerful TE that can also be a legit receiving threat, and the fastest man in the nfl as perhaps a scat back and return man, hell, i'm getting giddy just thinking bout it Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pats#1 wrote:
I_GET_SAX wrote:

Ya that's what i was thinking. I mean, I like woodhead, but Demps, in theory, should be a very big upgrade.

the 3 TE set was my biggest thought on having Ballard. And like you said, I too remember people comparing him to Gronk. I'm very excited to see these two additions to the team next season. We already have an unbelievable offense, but putting in yet another big powerful TE that can also be a legit receiving threat, and the fastest man in the nfl as perhaps a scat back and return man, hell, i'm getting giddy just thinking bout it Laughing

My thoughts exactly. Ballard is a very good TE, great blocker too. McDaniels could get very creative with both of them next season.

I also can't wait for Demps to come back to see what he can add, but it will be a crowded backfield.
Ridley is our workhorse, Woody 3rd down back, Bolden short yardage back, Vereen is the quick cutting pass catcher. The most expendable guy I see is Bolden, then possibly Vereen. If Demps works out, I don't want him stuck as just a return man. I think he should be used in a Sproles type role. But with all our depth, there aren't enough touches to go around. I guess it's a good problem to have.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we can keep Demps AND Woodhead on the roster. Demps might be more talented but Woodhead has that Kevin Faulk clutchness in him.

Mack on the sig
TomRalph

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to play mcmurtry here and calm every down with a dose of reality.

Demps isn't going to see any time in the backfield next season, he has no experience in pass protection which is exactly why we didn't see Ridley or Vereen very much in their Rookie seasons. Demps is going to see KR and PR duties and that's if he he doesn't have ball control issues.

Ballard, suffered a horrific knee injury and is not going to be the player he was pre-injury in all likelihood, he will be an upgrade at 3rd TE, I agree, but to expect him to make an impact, not unlike Fells has this year, is a little ambitious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demps was an RB/Returner in college...but is that based on anything but speed? Does he necessarily fit as a pro-RB? Next year I wouldn't be surprised if his sole role was a returner, meaning not risking McCourty back there. Beyond that...maybe they see him more as a Harvin player, more WR than RB.

I don't follow college football so I know nothing about his hands, but speed like his anywhere on the field is a weapon, and in this offense speed from the slot and deep is a much bigger need than RB is.

Quote:
Well, I'm the President of the Howdy Doody Circus Army!
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
Demps was an RB/Returner in college...but is that based on anything but speed? Does he necessarily fit as a pro-RB? Next year I wouldn't be surprised if his sole role was a returner, meaning not risking McCourty back there. Beyond that...maybe they see him more as a Harvin player, more WR than RB.

I don't follow college football so I know nothing about his hands, but speed like his anywhere on the field is a weapon, and in this offense speed from the slot and deep is a much bigger need than RB is.

He didnt have the hands to be a WR. He has amazing speed, quickness and acceleration ability. He needs to improve as a pass catcher. I could see him fitting in his role.

I dont think he will impact if Woodhead if or if he doesnt return. That will come down to the amount of money.

Though as a PR I dont think he'd do punts. I think we'd leave Edelman back there.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
Grachuus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
I'm going to play mcmurtry here and calm every down with a dose of reality.

Demps isn't going to see any time in the backfield next season, he has no experience in pass protection which is exactly why we didn't see Ridley or Vereen very much in their Rookie seasons. Demps is going to see KR and PR duties and that's if he he doesn't have ball control issues.

Ballard, suffered a horrific knee injury and is not going to be the player he was pre-injury in all likelihood, he will be an upgrade at 3rd TE, I agree, but to expect him to make an impact, not unlike Fells has this year, is a little ambitious.

Glad to see some folks have been paying attention! My real caveat to your consideration here is that Demps will have been in the building with the team all this year so he may very well get some time if he has been studying adequately and has a good camp. It's tough to replace Woodhead who has shown to be in the right place at key times though so he'll have to push himself I think.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
homerjay24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I just see it as extra depth at two positions where the Pats are already set as far as starters go. It gives them the luxury where they don't need to address those positions at all in the draft, which is nice, especially since they likely won't be looking at QB either unless it's a late round flyer.
Rec: 100 (3rd in NFL)
Yds: 1,172 (9th in NFL)
TDs: 4
Stickin' it in Bill's face one game at a time.
Pats#1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand the hesitation of some of you to be really excited about Demps and Ballard next season, considering Demps lack of experience at the pro level and Ballard's sever injury. I think we all realize this is merely a "I'm really excited about this project" type thread than a legit, this is what's gonna happen thread.

On paper, Demps and Ballard could be two big upgrades, one of which (Kick return) is a big hole we have in our STs.

Demps must have continued going to team meetings and pratices, watching game film, even after his injury, so I think he will surely be able to run a few gimmicky plays out of the backfield or at WR if BB/JD wanted to when up big on a team.

As for Ballard, while an injury of that magnitude is always going to be a concern when talking about getting back on the field, I think it's a bit naive and uninformed to just say, "no way he's gonna be the same type of player he was before the injury". He's a pro athlete, for one of the most well run orgs in sports, I'm sure he's getting the absolute best care in the world, I dont think it's THAT big of a surprise if he comes back almost right where he left off.

I dont know...I'm just really excited to have a legit return man, that is expendable (not McCourty), who is the fastest in the league, and yet another big TE that can do it all.

With the running game actually being a compliment to the offense now, I think 3 TE sets would literally be driving defenses crazy with trying to guess what type of play was coming at them.

Here's to hoping that Demps and Ballard surpass all our expectations....but either way, it isn't like we spent an arm and leg on them if they don't pan out. Really is a win win for us...great move by BB.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really hoping Demps can evolve into that explosive weapon that we've never ever had in the BB/Brady era. Branch came closest and he was just a quick #2 WR at best. I'd tend to think McDaniels will be able to utilize him in space and find ways to get him the ball when his time comes. We have a very powerful offense, but it's a very efficient, piece by piece offense. I feel that that can hurt us down the line when we're in comeback situations with little time. And we never are, so it hasn't been brought up.

Aite,

peace.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Ballard comes back at full health, I really don't think he'll offer us much more than Daniel Fells has done.

Fells did really well with Denver last season and caught a lot of balls but really flamed out for us this year, the same with Ballard, played really well for the Giants, became a Patriot and the rest is unknown.

Ballard just seems like one of those 'nobody' s who comes from nowhere and has a few big games before falling off the face of the earth, and with the extra hurdle of coming back from an injury, makes it all the more unlikely.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: