Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Radical Off-Season Thought Process
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is thinking outside the box! I can't subscribe to it completely, though I admit there are a few players you mentioned that I'd release and of course we have to try to restructure Kolb's contract. Kolb's injury includes a separation of at least one rib from the sternum. I've had that very injury and it took 3 years to fully heal, though I expect Kolb's medical care to be better than what I got. He may not really be all that effective as he was early this season.

Even if the coaches were hired prior to initiating this strategy, I think many of the remaining players would see it as giving up and might not give 100% during games. The guys who know they are fringe players might try hard though, thinking they are auditioning for other teams. Bidwell would hate what it did to ticket sales.

All in all, I can't really get behind this idea in totality, but I would cast off some of the truly dead weight...Colledge isn't one of them though (and I'm really not that impressed with him either).

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Move Colledge to RG. Now you've REALLY improved your OL as you've upgraded 2 spots at once and you use the money you'd lose by cutting Colledge/signing his replacement to acquire a useful 2013 player.

Simple fix.

So you move a player to a position he has never played in his life, and in the end prolong the hurt of his cap situation just another year into the future. You have an NFL average guard hitting the cap for $21.8M over the next three years all that is doing is hurting this football team.

Cutting him also allows your owner to save 12.8M in real money.

1. Players move from left to right all the time and Colledge got significant reps at both right guard and center this season. Even got some PT at center. Non-issue.
2. You're not even close on the cap allowances bud.
3. Our owner just blew over 10 million dollars by cleaning out our GM and offensive coaching staff. If he wants to win and he does, that won't be a but a blip on his radar.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
Bidwell would hate what it did to ticket sales.

How do we know it impacts ticket sales at all; I mean the starters on both sides of the football are much the same as they were in 2012 and with vast improvement at one spot on the OL.

I know this is not going to happen, but I honestly beleive it is the best long term option for this team.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:

Enlighten me, how much is Colledge going to cost us against the cap this season?
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Ya, all the time. Coaches get 3 years max these days (If that) and you're tanking 1 of them. These guys aren't stupid, they can do the math.

And in that process, you concede the 2013 season. No coach will sign up for that. In which case, acquiring cap room and picks doesn't mean anything. They'll all likely be wasted by incompetent leaders.

1 - Thought you were refering to us cleaning house every 1-2 years.
2 - It is not hard to communicate with your prospective coaches that you are not in it for a short run, we may not have the best roster in 2013, but that will allow us options going forwards. You can commincate that with a coach.

Saying we're not focused solely on the short term is 1 thing. Tanking the season is another. Good coaches will recognize that you've upgraded 1 legitimate spot on the team (Maybe) and are relying on a ragged roster with injured players and no depth. Nobody will sign up for that.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Saying we're not focused solely on the short term is 1 thing. Tanking the season is another. Good coaches will recognize that you've upgraded 1 legitimate spot on the team (Maybe) and are relying on a ragged roster with injured players and no depth. Nobody will sign up for that.

Then why is anybody willing to sign up with us for what we have now. Where we are now is no better than the roster I suggested.

Also, you are, in one thread talking up Warmack like he is the best thing since sliced bread and then in another saying he (might) be an upgrade of Daryn Colledge...Seriously.

Last edited by khodder on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we follow this idea, one thing is to consider that our best PP is due a massive new contract.

He will not sign it if we are losing still, he will get franchised, then disillusioned and then leave.

I like the idea of trading for another draft pick, however switch it from getting a 2014 first rounder, to say spending our 2014 2nd rounder and sending it for 2 2013 3rds, or a 3rd and 4th.

That is better use, imo
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Enlighten me, how much is Colledge going to cost us against the cap this season?

Something like 7 and a half mill. You lose more than that if you cut him...

He has what is basically 2 signing bonuses that will prorate on you. We rolled him rolled back last year.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
If we follow this idea, one thing is to consider that our best PP is due a massive new contract.

He will not sign it if we are losing still, he will get franchised, then disillusioned and then leave.

I like the idea of trading for another draft pick, however switch it from getting a 2014 first rounder, to say spending our 2014 2nd rounder and sending it for 2 2013 3rds, or a 3rd and 4th.

That is better use, imo

You are never going to get anything more than a single pick, a round later for a future draft pick. Also I would much, much, much rather have a 2014 second round pick than one in the thrid in 2013.

Patrick will likely sign where the money is. In this instance we can afford to sign him to quite a large deal in 2014.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

He has what is basically 2 signing bonuses that will prorate on you. We rolled him rolled back last year.

He has 4.5M left on his original signing bonus, and last year we rolled 3.1M over 4 years, one of those has been used, 2.3M rolled forward, total dead money of 6.8M. 500-800k cap releif in 2013.

Last edited by khodder on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
stchamp98

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Then why is anybody willing to sign up with us for what we have now. Where we are now is no better than the roster I suggested.

Also, you are, in one thread talking up Warmack like he is the best thing since sliced bread and then in another saying he (might) be an upgrade of Daryn Colledge...Seriously.

Bolded: And if Warmack goes down you'll be playing....who exactly?

As stated, your roster is void of depth.

Moderator - MVP

stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Kelemete, and if Colledge goes down we will be playing who exactly...Kelemete.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Kelemete, and if Colledge goes down we will be playing who exactly...Kelemete.

Difference of course is that you'll be playing Warmack and Kelemete under a scenario that correctly keeps Daryn Collegde. Under yours, we're playing Kelemete and a Rich Ohrnrberger type.

No comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

He has 4.5M left on his original signing bonus, and last year we rolled 3.1M over 4 years, one of those has been used, 2.3M rolled forward, total dead money of 6.8M. 500-800k cap releif in 2013.

You're forgetting of course that Daryn Colledge is still owed guaranteed money. The restructure bonus does not qualify to satisfy that responsibility. Didn't under the old CBA either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohrneberger at RG? No.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: