Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Players who get "overscouted"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oland11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
The draft works its self out pretty well, You just dont see to many great players fall through the cracks and when they do like a Tom Brady its just a "freak" thing that might not of happened with out the perfect circumstances of that team and player.

Burfict would of sucked for probably 28-29 other teams, if he would of even been able to get through training camp. Dont think Marvin Lewis got into that guys head like few could? Hes a WILL in the Bengals system, where Dhani Jones once lead the league in tackles from for the Bengals. He kinda lucked out by not getting drafted and landing in the right spot in Cinci.

If we drafted Burfict, he would of been cut by camp.

We had Akeem Jordan starting for a good portion of the year, I HIGHLY doubt that would ahve been the case.

Jordan is an excellent ST'er.

Did Bowers produce before his last year?

In college, yes. He was considered a top 10 pick I believe.

In the pros, his first year he was still recovering from his injury.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
The draft works its self out pretty well, You just dont see to many great players fall through the cracks and when they do like a Tom Brady its just a "freak" thing that might not of happened with out the perfect circumstances of that team and player.

Burfict would of sucked for probably 28-29 other teams, if he would of even been able to get through training camp. Dont think Marvin Lewis got into that guys head like few could? Hes a WILL in the Bengals system, where Dhani Jones once lead the league in tackles from for the Bengals. He kinda lucked out by not getting drafted and landing in the right spot in Cinci.

We had Akeem Jordan starting for a good portion of the year, I HIGHLY doubt that would ahve been the case.

In college, yes. He was considered a top 10 pick I believe.

In the pros, his first year he was still recovering from his injury.

I meant did Bowers produce before his last year in college? I know he was considered a top 10 pick, but the primary reason he fell was because of the injury.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Look at James Laurinaitis. Projected to be a top 10 pick if he had declared following his Junior Year, slides into Round 2 after his Senior Season. Pro Bowl Caliber MLB.

Three other examples of players whose flaws were overemphasized- Calais Campbell & Carlos Dunlap, & Michael Johnson. Campbell was the top DE after his Junior Year and fell to Pick 50. Dunlap had some question marks, but also was a Round 2 Prospect. Johnson with all that length and upside fell into Round 3. All were prototypical 4-3 Ends that FFs in particular loved.

The prospects that get overscouted are the ones where people focus too much on what they cannot do, rather then recognizing their abilities. Kam Chancellor is another example.

Campbell is a good one. I'm pretty sure Dunlap came out in his Junior year and just fell to character concerns, not necessarily "over-scouting".

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Conquest8089 wrote:
Look at James Laurinaitis. Projected to be a top 10 pick if he had declared following his Junior Year, slides into Round 2 after his Senior Season. Pro Bowl Caliber MLB.

Three other examples of players whose flaws were overemphasized- Calais Campbell & Carlos Dunlap, & Michael Johnson. Campbell was the top DE after his Junior Year and fell to Pick 50. Dunlap had some question marks, but also was a Round 2 Prospect. Johnson with all that length and upside fell into Round 3. All were prototypical 4-3 Ends that FFs in particular loved.

The prospects that get overscouted are the ones where people focus too much on what they cannot do, rather then recognizing their abilities. Kam Chancellor is another example.

Campbell is a good one. I'm pretty sure Dunlap came out in his Junior year and just fell to character concerns, not necessarily "over-scouting".

He got a DUI 4 days before the Championship game. Idiot.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Bednarik60

Hockey5djh wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
Dont think Marvin Lewis got into that guys head like few could? Hes a WILL in the Bengals system, where Dhani Jones once lead the league in tackles from for the Bengals. He kinda lucked out by not getting drafted and landing in the right spot in Cinci.

You missed the part i bolded and underlined for you. cause its important.

Burfict in our system would of been washed out of every play.How wuickly you forgot the wide 9. And thats even if we could of focused and motivated him int he first place.

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Hockey5djh

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:

You're correct, Jordan is a great special teamer. He is also a very below average starter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
Dont think Marvin Lewis got into that guys head like few could? Hes a WILL in the Bengals system, where Dhani Jones once lead the league in tackles from for the Bengals. He kinda lucked out by not getting drafted and landing in the right spot in Cinci.

Burfict in our system would of been washed out of every play.How wuickly you forgot the wide 9. And thats even if we could of focused and motivated him int he first place.

Honestly, from what i've heard it was more Zimmer and their LB coach (I forget his name) who got him motivated. It was Marvin Lewis that made sure they brought him in. Either way its impossible to project what he might or might not have done with the Eagles but i'm pretty sure he could have beaten out our awful LB depth for a roster spot on sheer talent alone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i have herd Zimmer is suppose to be great at focusing and motivating this guys. Considering they have Pacman Jones, Carlos Dunlap, Reggie Nelson and Terrance Newman running around making plays, look like real blue collar type players is just insane.

Bednarik60

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome to see some more Hockey back on the forum. Very Happy

Eagles_808

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I took Burfict in my initial mock last year (3rd round iIrc), and was blasted for it. Switched to Kendricks, which was accurate, and I have no problem with him at all.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
Yeah I took Burfict in my initial mock last year (3rd round iIrc), and was blasted for it. Switched to Kendricks, which was accurate, and I have no problem with him at all.

hes a better prospect then burfict even today going forward. and was a better fit for the system upon drafting him.

PhiCelek87

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:

Honestly, from what i've heard it was more Zimmer and their LB coach (I forget his name) who got him motivated. It was Marvin Lewis that made sure they brought him in. Either way its impossible to project what he might or might not have done with the Eagles but i'm pretty sure he could have beaten out our awful LB depth for a roster spot on sheer talent alone.

Geunther...

And this is another example of why this team needs to get in touch with Mike Zimmer already...

HC - Zimmer
OC - Jackson
DC - Geunther
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Awesome to see some more Hockey back on the forum. Very Happy

I'll generally get more active around draft time. Also, work has gotten significantly less busy since the holidays are over.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:

Don't take getting blasted over specific players personally, I remember last season I made a mock and was told it was dumb to draft JJ Watt....yea, about that. If you like a player, commit to it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Don't take getting blasted over specific players personally, I remember last season I made a mock and was told it was dumb to draft JJ Watt....yea, about that. If you like a player, commit to it!
I agree, and good call on Watt.

But in that same breath, Kendricks blew me away with his combine performance, so he became a man crush of mine following those few days in February.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: