Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

One Free Agent to Rule Them All and in the Purple Bind Them
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of guys wrote:
Byrd.

hmm, so another safety to add with Smith which gives us a top safety duo in the league, that's great.

it's great because they'll be on the field all the time, because we still won't have enough offense to move the ball.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jairus Byrd is a nice choice, but if that is not available I hope we can go after Kenny Phillips to address the 2nd Safety spot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably cut Kevin Williams and sign Henry Melton. He has to be at the top for me.

Mike Wallace is close, but DTs like Melton are hard to find.
xDarealx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we have a shot at levitre or Byrd . They are both free agents so buffalo can not franchise them both. Also, I think we might get Byrd because no way buffalo lets a great lineman in levitre go
eman9416

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill take Byrd, if we add a 3-4th round MLB or DT than our defense should be set for the year and we can entirely focus on offense. Also side note, anyone else notice we only have 1 top 50 free agent? I can decide is that's good or bad. On one hand we won't lose any important pieces but on the other hand all of our players are terrible.....
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eman9416 wrote:
Ill take Byrd, if we add a 3-4th round MLB or DT than our defense should be set for the year and we can entirely focus on offense. Also side note, anyone else notice we only have 1 top 50 free agent? I can decide is that's good or bad. On one hand we won't lose any important pieces but on the other hand all of our players are terrible.....

Why would we have to entirely focus on offense??

We need a starting MLB, OLB, and NT. I would say we need to focus on defense.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric dunn wrote:
eman9416 wrote:

Why would we have to entirely focus on offense??

We need a starting MLB, OLB, and NT. I would say we need to focus on defense.

Add in the fact that 3 of our 5 oldest guys are on defense (Winfield, Williams, Allen) and have contractual questions, and I'd certainly agree.
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question on the title of the thread . . . How does the FA acquisition "bind them?"

In my mind, any FA that comes in needs to assimilate to the way the Vikes operate -- the team is pretty tight-knit right now. This means recognizing Jared Allen, Adrian Peterson, Kevin Williams, Antione Winfield, Chad Greenway and Christian Ponder are the corps of the team . . . disregarding what they want done would be a disruption to the team; however, one could certainly enhance what the team's doing.

The commentary on Byrd intrigues me, as I think he could impove the safety position -- however, if Sanford and Raymond are healthy with Smith, that's a pretty good trio . . . adding Byrd would make a great quartet -- so, would that money be wisely spent?

I'd rather the Vikes spend their cap cash on guys currently on the roster. The chemistry of team seemed really good this year, except for a lil blow-up by Percy (which I agree he's worth a ton more than he's paid). So, re-sign Loadholt, Felton and Harvin for sure. Re-structure Williams and Winfield for two or three more years each.

If Byrd or another defensive player were signed, I suspect the offense would get 4 of the first 6 draft picks. Two going to WR, one OG and one on QB/TE/OT/RB.

So, defense would get two draft picks . . . hmmmm, I think there's a definite need for speed at MLB (although Brinkley did play better in the last 6 games) and OLB, as well as a mountain in the middle at NT.

Of the FAs on the list . . . I'd go with a LB or Cruz . . . but Byrd is a solid idea.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcticNorseman wrote:
One question on the title of the thread . . . How does the FA acquisition "bind them?"

someone help the old man out here. even i know what the title refers to...

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
jam8891

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know WR, S, and Nose Tackle are needs...but if we were to go after free agents hard this year then personally, I'm thinking more pass rush. We wre pretty good this year but you can never have too much pressure on the QB. I want the to have the affect on a QB where he is nervous before he even gets in the huddle. That kind of pressure. So I'm thinking Avril, Spencer, maybe Johnson they are all still young and we dont know how good they will be but they show alot of potential. I like Avril alot but idk which route the Vikings will go. Seeing as we do indeed have Jared Allen, Robison, Griffen, and they played very well this year but I think the addition of Avril and possibly a higher draft pick would make me extremely happy. this is all just wishful thinking on my part. Chances are we do not sign a DE and we don't draft one until the late rounds of this years draft but hey, its always good to hope
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take Sean Smith. I wouldn't resign Winfield and have Smith/Cook outside, Robinson nickel, and Jefferson dime.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
I would take Sean Smith. I wouldn't resign Winfield and have Smith/Cook outside, Robinson nickel, and Jefferson dime.

It's not about resigning Winfield. He's already under contract for 2013.
KeithVikings28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
KeithVikings28 wrote:

It's not about resigning Winfield. He's already under contract for 2013.

My molestake, point being he's not worth 7.2 million.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
WR Victor Cruz would be nice, Sauron.

That picture. OMG Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing havent laughed that hard in a while. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
PurpleNation22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jam8891 wrote:
I know WR, S, and Nose Tackle are needs...but if we were to go after free agents hard this year then personally, I'm thinking more pass rush. We wre pretty good this year but you can never have too much pressure on the QB. I want the to have the affect on a QB where he is nervous before he even gets in the huddle. That kind of pressure. So I'm thinking Avril, Spencer, maybe Johnson they are all still young and we dont know how good they will be but they show alot of potential. I like Avril alot but idk which route the Vikings will go. Seeing as we do indeed have Jared Allen, Robison, Griffen, and they played very well this year but I think the addition of Avril and possibly a higher draft pick would make me extremely happy. this is all just wishful thinking on my part. Chances are we do not sign a DE and we don't draft one until the late rounds of this years draft but hey, its always good to hope

I think your final assessment is correct. I really don't see us signing a DE in FA because we already have a fair amount of money in our DE's. Robison and Griffen were both 4th round picks, so my guess is that we go out and grab another one in the draft in around the 4th round again. Assuming there's value there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: