Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Take this for what it's worth...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Take this for what it's worth... Reply with quote

Chris Mortenson just made a comment on ESPN32, they said Payton officially signed his contract extention and Mort replied "Look out" I think Payton goes back like he did a few years ago and a lot of people will be out the door.

Remember... this is Mort were talking about but he had a smirk that suggested he had inside info.

STAY TUNED...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Harper41

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think Payton is going to be pissed about the teams failures and the way the defense handled this season mostly. I think we're going to see a LOT of defensive players finding their things on the sidewalk this off-season. I also expect Brees to shatter his previous career highs, Payton is going to be going for the throat A LOT next year.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
I definitely think Payton is going to be pissed about the teams failures and the way the defense handled this season mostly. I think we're going to see a LOT of defensive players finding their things on the sidewalk this off-season. I also expect Brees to shatter his previous career highs, Payton is going to be going for the throat A LOT next year.

Agreed...

Mort seemed to hit that it would be major changes, almost a semi rebuild... at least that's what I got out of his comments and body language. I got to admit, I for one would love to see a MAJOR shake up defensivly. I think everyone on here is aware im ready for a 34 defensive scheme again and that I have no faith in Steve Spagnuolo. I honestly feel that if the Saints don't fire Spags now, they will next offseason and all we will do is draft yet another class of players for a scheme that wont last.

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with giving Spags another year.

What I'll be upset about is 'restructuring' guys like Smith and Vilma because they were quality vets during our superbowl year. A mass house clearing would serve us quite well. No more entitled vets, more fresh blood which is hungry.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
I'm fine with giving Spags another year.

What I'll be upset about is 'restructuring' guys like Smith and Vilma because they were quality vets during our superbowl year. A mass house clearing would serve us quite well. No more entitled vets, more fresh blood which is hungry.

Well the writing is on the wall there... Vilma comes out and publicly defends Spags (Brownie Points) then changes his twitter picture to him and Payton flashing there superbowl rings (brownie points).

Vilma and Smith will be back if Spags is back, I just have that feeling and vibe.

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:

Well the writing is on the wall there... Vilma comes out and publicly defends Spags (Brownie Points) then changes his twitter picture to him and Payton flashing there superbowl rings (brownie points).

Vilma and Smith will be back if Spags is back, I just have that feeling and vibe.

It better not be. Our window for winning with Brees is slowly but surely closing. Being all sentimental with older players while keeping dead weight isn't the answer.

I love Vilma as a person, but as a football player I think he's done. Especially for this team. Smith sucks. Harper has too many holes in his game. Ellis is awful. Those 4 have to go. Especially at their salaries.

I'll be really upset if they keep those guys around.

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CS:

Let me ask you a question... You say your willing to give Spags another year but do you honestly feel this team is anywhere close to landing him the type of impact players he will need to field a competitive defense?

I mean... we are short on draft picks and even shorter on money.

I just see an even worse defense next season. Spags wants players who fit his system but the problem with that is those type of players cost a lot of money or very high draft picks. Two things the Saints are short on.

Personally I'd rather have a DC who will build a defense around the talent we have instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Wouldent the Saints be better off just admitting his hire was a mistake and failure and moving on in another direction?

Your thoughts?

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I think we'll have a much improved D next season if we get Spag's type players.

The issue isn't getting 'impact' players, but moreso getting players who a.) fit his scheme better and b.) don't have GW D habits.

On B.), how many times have we seen the bad habits from a GW D creep in?

How about a secondary that doesn't wrap up but does the stupid shoulder charge thing ('remember me hits') that lead to missed tackles? How about when guys like Ellis and Smith pinned their ears back and charged forward ignoring their run D assignments? Heck Harper even mentioned he was more free in GW's scheme and had more responsibility in Spags' D.

The problem is, this D has too many entitled vets who are still stuck in the mental state of GW's scheme. We're talking about a scheme where some of these players put up their best numbers (Harper), but eventually highlighted how leaky it really is. The team is full of those players with terrible habits.

It's clear that there is some resentment towards Spags from the 'old guard' due to the added responsibility and more accountability that is asked from certain players. The anonymous player who called out Spags imo demonstrates the inability for these players to learn and grow, but loved the wild west D GW ran due to lack of real responsibility.

You need to clear house this offseason and give Spags one more change. Get him hungry players who fit his scheme. Get him a pair of safeties that can cover a 300 lb man and not blow it. Give him a D-line that can not only beat an O-linemen once in a while but will also put effort in on the run game. Give him a LBer who can cover. Guys who are ok with the responsibility and added needs in a Spags D. Not a D that is full of entitled vets who whine because they aren't getting their way.

If the D struggles say by game 5-6 next season, then fire him mid-season for all I care. But with this personnel, especially with some of the habits the D has formed, I have sincere doubts many DC's could have produced much more else.

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF that's the case and if the Saints and Payton feel Spags is the guy to rebuild this defense...

Then it should go beyond the players, Spags should be allowed to make changes as he sees fit in his defensive staff as well. Even if that means bouncing Joe Vitt who has yet to put a overall quality linebacking core on the field for us.

Wanna keep Spags... than let him do it his way. His players AND his coaches too.

Raves

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
IF that's the case and if the Saints and Payton feel Spags is the guy to rebuild this defense...

Then it should go beyond the players, Spags should be allowed to make changes as he sees fit in his defensive staff as well. Even if that means bouncing Joe Vitt who has yet to put a overall quality linebacking core on the field for us.

Wanna keep Spags... than let him do it his way. His players AND his coaches too.

This I fully agree with.

Lofton - His Player
Jordan - Became his player
Hicks - His player
Bunkley - I think was a compromise due to a lack of linebackers
White - His player
Jenkins - His player as long as he gets his head right

Bring in a Kenny Phillips and I think Jenkins will be better, I really do. The rest is work that needs to be done but I think guys like Galette can do it if we get better at linebacker.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Harper41

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Malcolm Jenkins to the extent that I honestly get aggravated when I see someone post his name on this forum. That guys a freaking joke. We get bring in pro bowlers at every position around him and he'd still find a way to freaking suck. Give it up guys, Jenkins is a monumental bust.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: