Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DC.com Articles: 4-3, Ryan, Changes, Keep or Cut
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePlaymaker86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
The rationale that the team used 4 DL on passing situations to rationalize the move to the 4-3 is completely irrational. The DL were asked to go after the QB and weren't asked to defend the run. In addition, the team had 1 sometimes only 2 LBs and, again, they were asked to defend the pass. The position of the safeties also differ on passing situations.

Moving to the 4-3 means a lot of change. It means changes to how the LBs are used and a big change for someone like Bruce Carter. The safeties' responsibilities also change, being used less in blitzes and more in the running game.

If the team re-signs Spencer, he'll be the Slam LB. There's no way the team can go with him and Ware as the starting DEs. The team would just get run over with such an undersized DL.

For what it's worth, Carter did play OLB at UNC. So, the position wouldn't be completely foreign to him.

I had looked up the size of our guys a couple of weeks ago and compared them to the Giants DL, because I thought we might be undersized to run the 4-3, but we're really not, especially if we can a D-Lineman early in one of the first two rds of the draft.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

Very interesting.

For as well as he did at the end of th season and like I said yesterday, RR was more talk than substance.

Kiltman on avy Pepper90 on sig
George Selvie Fan Club
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt's, what is that chart of? What are the figures?

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:

Its their average league ranking in each category.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

Its their average league ranking in each category.
gotcha

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say franchise Spencer again. Gives us insurance, in case we don't feel we have a replacement, or are unable to draft a potential replacement at DE this year. I like the flexibility of the 3-4, but it seems so difficult and expensive to get/keep a true NT and OLB. I like the idea of our best pass rushers being able to not have to worry about coverage. I hope we go 4-3.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we don't bring in 100 year old Kiffin, and I'm not sure what Wannstedt brings other than a great mustache.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
I say franchise Spencer again. Gives us insurance, in case we don't feel we have a replacement, or are unable to draft a potential replacement at DE this year. I like the flexibility of the 3-4, but it seems so difficult and expensive to get/keep a true NT and OLB. I like the idea of our best pass rushers being able to not have to worry about coverage. I hope we go 4-3.

You franchise Spencer and you're losing $12-13m in cap space - either sign him or lose him but you'd be hard pressed to franchise him and stay under the cap even with major cuts and restructured.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:

Sign him...franchise is too much money and would force us to get an OLB in 2014. Additionally...Spencer is made for a 4-3 base on what Broddaus has stated. No reason to cut Ratliff because his dead money would be the equivalent of his savings=1 million. He could be our DT along with Hatcher. Both Hatcher/Ratliff could be stop gaps at DTs for at least another year rotating them in and out with Lissemore/Price/Callaway. I'm hoping we can shore up our OLINE with the 1st and 2nd round picks. Then 3rd and 4th could be a DT or S.
buckwild

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
I hope we don't bring in 100 year old Kiffin, and I'm not sure what Wannstedt brings other than a great mustache.

This is the father of the 4-3 defense, and - Lebow seems to be doing well running the Steelers defense. Lebow is about 20 years older than Kiffin.

Who do you think taught, Lovie Smith all he knows! Just because he is old doesn't mean that he can't still coach.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a move to a 4-3, is a sign of the FO not believing that they will be able to sign Spencer and unwilling to franchise him again, and having more faith in finding a 4-3 DE then a NT and OLB in the draft?

I don't like the firing of Rob, but I have to say that I do like 4-3 defences. Just not quite sure how good I feel about Ware with the hand in the ground on a regular basis? as someone has pointed out to me before, he has had his fair share of injuries lately. Well, we must hope that his shoulder will be able to hold up when running into 310+ guys when passrushing 99% of his time on the field next year.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LM: Are you working with Donald Trump? Heís a Jets fan, right? Maybe A.J. to the Jets one day?

KW: I actually spoke with him earlier today, and he was wanting to meet with both of us if we make it up to New York. Iím working with his publicist trying to handle all of this media madness right now. And A.J. really wants to play for the Dallas Cowboys, so weíll see what happens.

Read more: Katherine Webb - Monday Night's Most Distracting Fan - Esquire http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/katherine-webb-overshadows-qb-boyfriend-14954384#ixzz2HaZcpHSY

Quote:
Is Rob Ryan the scapegoat who allows Garrett and the offense to escape relatively unscathed?

If you believe that, you donít know Jerry.

The assumption persists that Jones will force Garrett to relinquish his play-calling duties. The question is whether offensive coordinator Bill Callahan takes over or the Cowboys turn outside the organization.

The ownerís unrest isnít restricted to who wears the headset and barks calls during a game. It goes to the offensive scheme.

Garrett has presided over this offense for six seasons as the offensive coordinator or head coach. The Cowboys have ranked among the NFLís top seven in four of those seasons.

Thatís in yards gained. The offense has cracked the top 10 in points just twice, and one of those came when backup Jon Kitna started nine games for an injured Tony Romo.

The disconnect between yards gained and points scored has been an issue these past two seasons. Itís the sign of an inefficient offense, one that has grown stale.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/moore-why-you-can-expect-cowboys-to-make-offensive-changes-as-well.html/

Quote:

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more than okay with her becoming A Dallas Cowgirl Cheerleader.

In other news, Nate Silver predicts a Patriot / Seahawks Super Bowl.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:

This is the father of the 4-3 defense, and - Lebow seems to be doing well running the Steelers defense. Lebow is about 20 years older than Kiffin.

Who do you think taught, Lovie Smith all he knows! Just because he is old doesn't mean that he can't still coach.

Lebeau is 3 yrs older(75) than Kiffin(72). Steelers D wasn't very good this year. Not doubting Lebeau/Kiffin's knowledge, but not sure if they have the energy the job demands. Plus, they have no motivation. They've done everything they have wanted to do in football. Rather have Keith Butler or Lovie Smith.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:

You franchise Spencer and you're losing $12-13m in cap space - either sign him or lose him but you'd be hard pressed to franchise him and stay under the cap even with major cuts and restructured.

2012 Franchise 8.8mil
2013- 8.8 * 120% = 10.56mil.

Lamar Woodley:Contract: 6 yr(s) / $61.5mil Average Salary: 10.25 mil
Terrell Suggs:Contract: 6 yr(s) / $62.5mil Average Salary $10.4mil
Amhad Brooks:Contract: 6 yr(s) / $37mil. Average Salary: $6.166mil
Tamba Hali:Contract: 5 yr(s) / $57.5mil. Average Salary $11.5mil
D. Ware:Contract: 7 yr(s) / $79mil. Average Salary $11.285mil
Avg = (49.601/5) = 9.92mil per year.

Unless we can get a deal close to Brooks, we are averaging almost the franchise number. My guess would be he signs for around 8mil/year. At that cost, I'd rather keep him one more year, and eat 2mil in cap space, than dole out that kind of contract to an inconsistent player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: