Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DC.com Articles: 4-3, Ryan, Changes, Keep or Cut
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: DC.com Articles: 4-3, Ryan, Changes, Keep or Cut Reply with quote

Quote:
s there a chance the present personnel would be better suited to a 4-3 defensive scheme?

Bryan: They played a 4 man line when they went to the nickel. The trick will be if you resign Spencer, so let’s say you do, he could play left end, Lissemore or Ratliff play the one and Hatcher or Crawford the three. Wilber, Albright at the Sam with Lee as the Mike and Carter the Will. Regardless, I am still drafting defensive linemen, whether you play a 4-3 or 3-4.

Rowan: I think it could be, depending on if Spencer’s back. If he is, Spencer and Ware can play the end positions, with Ratliff and Lissemore on the inside. Tyrone Crawford and Jason Hatcher could both still stay in the mix inside, as well. It may take more pressure off Ratliff, who’s obviously dealt with a handful of injuries. The trick would be finding the right guy to play the third linebacker spot beside Lee in the middle and Carter on the outside. That guy could be Albright or Wilber.

Quote:
When Ryan was in line to take this job, I reached out to friends that I had with the Browns to ask them about Ryan and what he could bring to this team. The majority of the dialog was extremely positive but to a man the one area they focused on was his lack of organization and maybe this is his fatal flaw. There were reasons that Ryan always spoke how fortunate he was to have Matt Eberflus, Brian Baker and Ben Bloom to help him coach and to his credit, he was absolutely correct. They are outstanding coaches.

There is a side of me that believes that Ryan lost this job in the eyes of the general manager and head coach because there simply were times where he tried to do too much with this defense and the lack of organization got him in trouble. The scheme was more important than just lining up and playing. Every game was a track meet from the sideline to the field with Ryan trying to match personnel and I understand that is part of the game but there were times where you saw either too many men on the field or not enough. My gut tells me that the general manager and head coach want a simpler approach in how this team plays defense. It is more about how you can line up in your base front, get off blocks and tackle. It’s fundamental football and not about having seven linebackers on the field.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Broaddus-Arguments-Make-Sense-For-Both-Sides-Of-Decision-/4fd70feb-55b8-4226-9f90-624d21b0f9ac

Quote:

Would think the entire defensive staff will be gone, meaning the only assistants returning would be offensive line coach Bill Callahan, special teams coach Joe DeCamillis, unless he’s hired as the head coach of the Chicago Bears, which seems unlikely, wide receivers coach Jimmy Robinson and tight ends coach John Garrett. Oh, Chris Boniol, too, who has worked wonders with Dan Bailey.

Now, if the Cowboys elect to bring in an offensive coordinator, well, a new one as Callahan actually has that title, one who would also call the plays, then perhaps he would like to bring in some of his own people. At this point, anything and everything is possible. There’s even a chance Jason Garrett is the only one returning on the staff outside of Boniol.

Think this absolutely guarantees the Cowboys will be playing a 4-3 in 2013, with DeMarcus Ware moving to defensive end and Bruce Carter moving to the weak side. Obviously, personnel-wise, much depends on whether Spencer returns.

Guess in the end, my two cents is this: Ryan didn’t deserve to be fired and his dismissal, at least to me, was stunning. But having digested the news for 14 hours or so now, maybe this wasn’t a bad move for the team. Know Ryan was popular with the majority of the players, especially Sean Lee, Jason Hatcher, Bruce Carter and Anthony Spencer, but am guessing his replacement could be just as popular. And perhaps produce better results. Maybe blitz more, maybe create some turnovers.

If nothing else, this move sounded the alarm. Jones wasn’t issuing any sort of warning shot last week. He was preparing one and all for an offseason of change. Think we’re just getting started, too.

A new defensive coordinator should be in place by week’s end, think a play-caller will be hired as well, allowing Garrett to concentrate on being a head coach. Maybe even a consultant of sorts, too, in the front office. Who knows? It’s all in play now outside of Romo will be the quarterback, Garrett will be the head coach and after that, well, it’s not going to be a boring winter and spring at Valley Ranch.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-JeffSullivan/Some-of-the-Thoughts-That-Run-Through-an-Oversized-Bald-Head/49ee6755-e820-4bd6-851a-32d8a7df8158

Quote:
1. Doug Free: $7 million ($11.2 million)

It’s really difficult to move on from a player in whom you invested so heavily; it almost feels like giving up. In economic terms, though, Free’s $32 million contract is a sunk cost. The Cowboys need to look at how Free’s potential future play matches up with his cost against the cap, and there’s no doubt that the right tackle who allowed seven sacks and pressure on 6.2 percent of pass snaps isn’t worth an $11.2 million cap charge in 2013.

Cut or Keep: Cut

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-JonathanBales/Running-the-Numbers-Cowboys%E2%80%99-5-Worst-Cap-Based-Values/ce7834a2-f241-4b53-bb90-e4d2ba2af44a

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the move to a 4-3

Quote:
So with the Cowboys firing defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and with coach Jason Garrett explaining that the franchise plans to “move forward in a different direction philosophically on defense,” the obvious conclusion to be drawn is that the team could be changing its defense from a base 3-4 alignment to a 4-3.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/08/cowboys-could-be-moving-to-4-3-defense/

Quote:
It’s uncertain how the Cowboys’ personnel would be affected by a full-fledged move to the 4-3. But Coleman and Spencer are free agents and nose tackle Jay Ratliff may be better suited to play as one-gap interior lineman. Dallas has also incorporated elements of the 4-3 in its sub packages so the transition may not be as awkward as it would seem.

If the Cowboys do choose to change their scheme, they’ll have the opportunity to land a coordinator who has had success with that system. Former Chicago coach Lovie Smith, who oversaw defenses that finished in the top five in points allowed during four of his nine seasons with the Bears, is available.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/could-the-cowboys-be-on-the-verge-of-making-a-move-to-a-4-3-defense.html/

Quote:
Elsewhere, Kiffin left his post with the USC Trojans and his son, Lane, in a reported effort to get back into the NFL game. He was the brains behind the stout defenses with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the late 1990s and early 2000s as well as the popular Tampa-2 coverage scheme.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/8/3853722/lovie-smith-cowboys-coacing-rumors-monte-kiffin

Quote:
What about going with the Wide 9? it's a perfect scheme for undersized defensive ends (which Ware and Spencer are, and so is Victor Butler for that matter) and we have the elite linebackers that Philadelphia didn't to make it a sound defense. Sean Lee and Bruce Carter could do what the turnstiles in Philly couldn't. To that effect, the Eagles let Jim Washburn go midseason. There were reports that he was undermining Juan Castillo however, so I don't know how well that would fit with Jason Garrett.

These are just a few of the names and ideas that are out there. I haven't even mentioned guys like Eric Mangini or Romeo Crennel. The Cowboys very well could already have their man in place. Heck, some folks might not even be interested in joining the Cowboys circus. As @Jickes1 said, this is "probably best DC position available now... So much talent at key spots..." Whether or not you agree with Ryan being let go, he's not here anymore. Who will fill that chair in the meeting room?

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/1/8/3853902/dallas-cowboys-fire-rob-ryan-defensive-coordinator-search-34-43-tampa-2-wide-9

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In other words, a statement from Jerry Jones is more like an interview with Valley Ranch's pet parrot - you'll get a lot of direct information, but mostly out of context - and you really shouldn't think that the parrot's calling the shots.

This has been analyzed over the years, and it became obvious when Jones began talking about 'the process.'

Back to the recent statements and happenings.

Garrett: We'll discuss changes.
(discussion happens)
Jones: We're going to be very uncomfortable at Valley Ranch.
Garrett: We'll do whatever it takes to win.
(Rob Ryan fired)

If Bill Belichick tells the media essentially that there's been no decision to hire or fire anyone, and then the next day someone is fired, why doesn't the world jump up, screaming "Robert Kraft did it! Belichick's obviously had no idea this would happen!" Why is that?

It seems there is a pervasive paranoia that Jerry Jones is making decisions on his own, randomly asserting himself and sabotaging his pride and joy. We forget that we have a real, functional front office - occupied by more than just Jerry and Spaulding. We take Jerry Jones for the image he projects as the controller of all things Cowboys, glossing over the interviews in which he divulges that he is always consulting others for advice, and always trying to do what's best for the Cowboys

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/1/9/3853940/rob-ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually wouldn't mind the Wide 9 scheme. Maybe it would prevent Ware from running halfway around the world to get behind the QB and do nothing on the play. Yes, I've heard of contain, but my Lord what were they thinking of letting him do that every time.. Especially with no pressure up front to prevent the QB from simply moving up and completely taking Ware out of the play.

Ok, there was my one and only rant on Ware.

I just hope they make a change and get some guys that have the potential to pass rush the QB as well as hold their ground in the run game. I feel like we put too much emphasis on big body DE and we ignored the fact that Spears and Coleman were ineffective against the pass unless Ware or Spencer made the QB run for their life and run into one of them. I watched the Ravens DE's running all over the place. Can't have potbellied Dlinemen any more unless they are a true NT or they have wheels.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
In other words, a statement from Jerry Jones is more like an interview with Valley Ranch's pet parrot - you'll get a lot of direct information, but mostly out of context - and you really shouldn't think that the parrot's calling the shots.

This has been analyzed over the years, and it became obvious when Jones began talking about 'the process.'

Back to the recent statements and happenings.

Garrett: We'll discuss changes.
(discussion happens)
Jones: We're going to be very uncomfortable at Valley Ranch.
Garrett: We'll do whatever it takes to win.
(Rob Ryan fired)

If Bill Belichick tells the media essentially that there's been no decision to hire or fire anyone, and then the next day someone is fired, why doesn't the world jump up, screaming "Robert Kraft did it! Belichick's obviously had no idea this would happen!" Why is that?

It seems there is a pervasive paranoia that Jerry Jones is making decisions on his own, randomly asserting himself and sabotaging his pride and joy. We forget that we have a real, functional front office - occupied by more than just Jerry and Spaulding. We take Jerry Jones for the image he projects as the controller of all things Cowboys, glossing over the interviews in which he divulges that he is always consulting others for advice, and always trying to do what's best for the Cowboys

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/1/9/3853940/rob-ryan

I really liked this article. I think its fair in the criticisms of Jones and the process of JG.

Here is another snippet from the article:

Quote:
In Garrett's official press release, he cited 'philosophical change' as the reason for moving on. A source told Charean Williams that the Cowboys organization felt that Ryan's schemes were not fundamentally sound (in other words, they left holes open in order to crowd other areas).

Does the realization that Rob Ryan often glossed over assigning men to cover fullbacks (and sometimes halfbacks, much to our dismay) sound like something that Jerry Jones just thought up this afternoon, forcing the move onto Jason Garret and company? Or does it sound like something a head coach would notice when reviewing the years' tape, making the move when he felt it was appropriate?

Of course, many originally believed that the move was (justified or not) based on performance. Some cried foul, saying that the injuries forced Ryan's hand, and he performed admirably in the face of that adversity. Others lauded the move, saying that Ryan's consistently poor defensive passer rating was inexcusable. Still, this results-based firing led many to believe it was the impulsive Jones, and not the process-oriented Garrett who pulled the trigger.

The insight that this was a philosophical disagreement, I believe, was telling. I don't believe Jerry Jones knows much about what makes a fundamentally sound defense, and I believe even less that he could point out these flaws on tape. Garrett wants things done 'the right way,' and part of that means filling every hole, on every snap, when you're on defense. The disorganization likely didn't help matters, either.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom quote is probably spot-on. I'd bet good money that Jerry has no idea what he'd be looking at if he watched tape.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
parker1035

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
The bottom quote is probably spot-on. I'd bet good money that Jerry has no idea what he'd be looking at if he watched tape.

Was going to say the exact same thing. Doesn't matter who we bring in, unless Jerry lets the HC do everything he wants. This is a step in the right direction.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rationale that the team used 4 DL on passing situations to rationalize the move to the 4-3 is completely irrational. The DL were asked to go after the QB and weren't asked to defend the run. In addition, the team had 1 sometimes only 2 LBs and, again, they were asked to defend the pass. The position of the safeties also differ on passing situations.

Moving to the 4-3 means a lot of change. It means changes to how the LBs are used and a big change for someone like Bruce Carter. The safeties' responsibilities also change, being used less in blitzes and more in the running game.

If the team re-signs Spencer, he'll be the Slam LB. There's no way the team can go with him and Ware as the starting DEs. The team would just get run over with such an undersized DL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:

The rest of it is probably spot on as well, Id bet good money on that too
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
The team would just get run over with such an undersized DL.

The two top rated 4-3 DLS:

Hawks:
Bryant - 6-4 323
Branch - 6-6 325
Mebane - 6-1 311
Irvin - 6-3 248

Bears:
Wootton - 6-6 270
Melton - 6-3 295
Paea - 6-1 300
Peppers - 6-7 287

Cowboys:
Crawford - 6-4 285
Ratliff - 6-4 303 OR Hatcher - 6-6 305
Spears - 6-4 315 OR Lissemore - 6-3 303
Ware - 6-4 254

Albright has also played some DE for us in the nickle, he was a DE in college if I recall correctly. He is 6-5 260.

So we would be big compared to the Bears, small compared to the Seahawks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hatcher could play DE at a reasonably high level.

Hatcher
Spears
Rat
Ware

With

Craw
Liss

subbing in - obviously we would still need to address the trenches.

Last edited by Matts4313 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to post ever teams, but just looking at it. With the line up I posted above, we would be bigger than Broncos, WAY bigger than the Falcons, and slightly smaller than the Dolphins.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving to the 4-3 means a lot of change. It means changes to how the LBs are used and a big change for someone like Bruce Carter. The safeties' responsibilities also change, being used less in blitzes and more in the running game.

I don't see the changes being something that difficult to over come. Most of these players played in a 43 in college. And, quite a few aren't that far removed from those days.

Quote:
If the team re-signs Spencer, he'll be the Slam LB. There's no way the team can go with him and Ware as the starting DEs.

With or w/o the change in scheme, the odds of resigning Spencer are minimal at best.

Kiltman on avy Pepper90 on sig
George Selvie Fan Club
parker1035

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rationale that the team used 4 DL on passing situations to rationalize the move to the 4-3 is completely irrational. The DL were asked to go after the QB and weren't asked to defend the run. In addition, the team had 1 sometimes only 2 LBs and, again, they were asked to defend the pass. The position of the safeties also differ on passing situations.

If the team re-signs Spencer, he'll be the Slam LB. There's no way the team can go with him and Ware as the starting DEs. The team would just get run over with such an undersized DL.

My point exactly. Always people gotta say we need big linemen. Ware holds his own against constant double teams of guards and tackles an tackles and tight ends and tackles and running backs. Spencer is bigger than Ware and he is an outstanding run stopper. He was a 4-3 DE coming into the draft, so I don't know where you are coming from saying he or Ware are too small. Our DT's would not have to be true NT's also. The players we have fit the 4-3 much better than a 3-4. There are endless possibilities to where players line up. Ware could play the "Von Miller" role and we in fact need another DE. But it cannot be another slug that has no pass rushing capabilities. You gotta remember, our linebackers become run first in a 4-3, and they are very capable of doing so and going into coverage.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: