Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Offseason before the SuperBowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trivium2009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Mock Offseason before the SuperBowl Reply with quote

This will be my last mock until the Off-season starts. I thought for a while on this, so enjoy.

Patriots Free Agents List
Wes Welker
Patrick Chung
Julian Edilman
Trevor Scott
Sebastion Vollmer
Danny Woodhead
Aqib Talib
Donald Thomas
Kyle Arrington
Deion Branch
Marcus Harrison
Marquice Cole
Derrick Martin

Free Agents Re-signed
Wes Welker WR- 2yr
I Believe Welker has earned this two yr contract and this will also make sure Brady has his security blanket. I will say though if he struggles in this years playoffs again that this could become a long process.

Aqib Talib CB- 3yr
Talib came in and made a difference right away. His stats don't show you much but his presents alone made teams think twice before throwing the ball and thats with only playing about halve the season.

Julian Edilman WR- 1yr
I'm not completely sold on Edilman, as he only had a few flashes this year which I think gets him this contract.

Donald Thomas OG- 2yr
Not the flashiest Guard but has done a great job holding his own. Could see him fighting for the starters jobs at RG

Sebastion Vollmer OT- 4yr
Very hesitant on this one mainly because of injury history, but after thinking about it, its going to be hard to find a RT as good as Vollmer in this Free Agent class.

Marquice Cole CB- 1yr
Cole has been a good depth guy this year but nothing spectacular. Camp body.

Possible Re-signs (if reasonable)
Patrick Chung S- 1yr
Chung more than likely either want more money than we are willing to pay or wants a longer deal. With this I think we find Chung in a different Uniform next year.

Kyle Arrington CB- 1yr
Showed flashes and had a few good games. If he is willing to take a pay cut and a one yr deal Patriots resign him, but anything more he walks.

Free Agents Patriots May Look To Sign
Dwayne Bowe WR- Signs with Dolphins
Greg Jennings WR- Signs with Texans
Brian Hartline WR- Resigns with Dolphins
Danny Amendola WR- Resigns with Rams
Israel Idonije DT/DE- Signs with Cincinnati
Henry Melton DT- Resigns with Bears
Amobi Okoye DT- Signs with Patriots
Brent Grimes CB- Signs with 49ers
Quentin Jammer CB- Signs with Patriots
Dominic Rodgers Cromartie CB- Resigns with Eagles
Jarius Byrd S- Signs with Patriots
Dashon Goldson S- Resigns with 49ers
Ed Reed S- Retires or resigns with Ravens
LaRon Landry S- Signs with Broncos

Free Agents Patriots Will Sign
Amobi Okoye DT- 1yr
Patriots need someone who can disrupt the pocket a DT. Okoye isn't an elite pass rusher from the DT spot but will still get the job done.

Quentin Jammer CB- 1yr
Our secondary still needs work but not as bad as it needed last year. Jammer brings a physical type veteran presents to an otherwise young CB depth chart. Also bring a security blanket just in case Talib gets into trouble again.

Jairus Byrd S- 3yr
And this is why we don't get a top of the line DT. We save our money for Jairus Byrd. Byrd is the type of Safety the Patriots have been needing since the days of Rodney Harrison. Byrd is a ball hawking S who is also not afraid to lay the wood on WRs if need be. This signing will cost us but it will be worth every penny.

Patriots Draft Picks
1st Round #32
2nd Round #63
3rd Round #94
7th Round #202
7th Round #222

Patriots Draft
1st Round #32 (Trade) Patriots Trade #32 with Tampa Bay for #44 and #141
With the lack of multiple pick this year and with the Patriots using two first last year, it only seems smart to trade down in this draft. Towards the end of round 1 the players available are either not of Patriots interest or to much of a reach to take here anyway.

2nd Round #44 (via Tampa)- Da'Rick Rodgers WR Tennessee Tech
Ok here is one of two risky picks in this mock. Rodgers has all the talent in the world and could have been the number 1 WR in this class, but with him getting into trouble numerous times has hurt his draft stock. I had to think hard about this pick because I didn't know if it was worth the early second round pick. In the end I just see it being too much talent and potential to pass up. Rodgers will bring his big play making ability to a old and weak WR core.

2nd Round #63- Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina
Now I know we already signed Okoye, but he is def not the long term solution. Williams has the ability to rush the pocket and hold up against the run which bods well with BB and the Patriots. He kinda reminds me of a guy BB really liked coming out of collage a while back, Gerard Warren with a quick first step and great upper and lower body strength. Future heir to Wilforks thrown

3rd Round #94- William Gholston DE Michigan St.
This could end up being a bust pick or a glory pick. Gholston is a very talented End but has major motor issues and will need a great Coach to motivate him every week. I understand we have Nink and Cunningham, but nither of them really should be every down guys maybe Nink but def not Cunningham who should be a situational pass rusher. Gholston has a great first step and power to get off blocks but will really on one rush move too much and will get frustrated at times.

5th Round #141 (via Tampa)- Xavier Nixon OT Florida
This is not only a very good depth pickbut a very good security blanket for if Vollmer goes down again. Now I know what your saying. We have Cannon. Well I see Cannon as more of someone who fits better as a Guard.

7th Round #202 (via Tampa)- Tyrann Mathieu CB LSU
Second risky pick in this mock all though not as risky. Mathieu like Alfonzo Dennard a year before was suppose to be a high first round pick but because of a bad history his draft stock plummets which turns out to be in favor of the Patriots at this point. The Patriots get a guy who had he stayed out of trouble would have had to trade up for his services but now they have the chance to get yet another steal.

7th Round #222- T.J. Johnson C South Carolina
Depth pick here. Johnson is nothing really special but does come with some potential.

Well there you have it my final mock before the SuperBowl plz tell me what you think and how I can change it a bit.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think we make a big splash in FA, I see more signings like Fanene and Gregory as opposed to the Dan Snyder approach.

I don't think William Gholston falls that far, he will go higher on measurables alone.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola Status: Being Severely Underutilised
derekstanggt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! Lots of work on this!

I love the guys we retain, I think we need to definitely lock up Welker, Vollmer and Talib, though Vollmer might require a decent chunk of change.

I donít quite understand your vision for the DBs though. While Iím drooling at the thought of signing Byrd and maybe Jammer (if cheap), it looks like thereíd be a logjam back there.

CB:
Talib
Dennard
Jammer
Dowling
Mathieu
Arrington
Cole
Martin
Williams

Talib, Dennard, Jammer would be our top 3 CBs, so does this mean you want to completely give up on Dowling? Arrington is actually a pretty good #3 corner, and he knows the system well, but pushing him down to #4 or #5 would relegate him almost entirely to the bench. And what about Mathieu? Redshirt season?

S:
McCourty
Byrd
Gregory
Wilson
Ebner

What about at S? Are you also giving up on our 2nd round pick Wilson? BB seems to like Gregory, so it would seem that he would continue to get playing time, but even as the #3 S, he wonít get much.

I also like the Edelman signing, and I see him as more valuable than most. He knows the system well, and has experience in it and with Brady. I see his versatility as extremely valuable too; #3/4 WR, PR, kickoff coverage. I hope he gets a 3 yr deal. The WR position will be a bit shaky next year. Branch is as good as gone, and we canít expect a rookie to step up in his first yr. Our best bet is to sign a big name WR (Jennings, Amendola) or get Edelman more involved. Unless of course Bill wants to run a super jumbo package every play next year with Gronk, Hernandez and Ballard.

Nice job overall.
Sciz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among other problems, there's not nearly enough cap room to sign everybody that you want.
trivium2009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekstanggt wrote:
Great job! Lots of work on this!

I love the guys we retain, I think we need to definitely lock up Welker, Vollmer and Talib, though Vollmer might require a decent chunk of change.

I donít quite understand your vision for the DBs though. While Iím drooling at the thought of signing Byrd and maybe Jammer (if cheap), it looks like thereíd be a logjam back there.

CB:
Talib
Dennard
Jammer
Dowling
Mathieu
Arrington
Cole
Martin
Williams

Talib, Dennard, Jammer would be our top 3 CBs, so does this mean you want to completely give up on Dowling? Arrington is actually a pretty good #3 corner, and he knows the system well, but pushing him down to #4 or #5 would relegate him almost entirely to the bench. And what about Mathieu? Redshirt season?

S:
McCourty
Byrd
Gregory
Wilson
Ebner

What about at S? Are you also giving up on our 2nd round pick Wilson? BB seems to like Gregory, so it would seem that he would continue to get playing time, but even as the #3 S, he wonít get much.

I also like the Edelman signing, and I see him as more valuable than most. He knows the system well, and has experience in it and with Brady. I see his versatility as extremely valuable too; #3/4 WR, PR, kickoff coverage. I hope he gets a 3 yr deal. The WR position will be a bit shaky next year. Branch is as good as gone, and we canít expect a rookie to step up in his first yr. Our best bet is to sign a big name WR (Jennings, Amendola) or get Edelman more involved. Unless of course Bill wants to run a super jumbo package every play next year with Gronk, Hernandez and Ballard.

Nice job overall.

Thank you for the questions and yes I know that with my signings and drafting that I created some sort of a log jam, and for good reason hear me out. First off Martin and Williams will not be apart of our 53 man roster. Martin isn't getting resigned and Williams will be released. As I quoted in my mock Jammer is not just brought in to play slot but as a security blanket for Talib who is one more strike from being kicked out of the NFL, and in the same time gives us an upgrade for a year. Arrington I see as a 3rd/4th option on our depth but like I said he is a possible bring back. As for Mathieu he too has question marks surrounding him and will probably do what Alfonzo did this year but more so the whole year so he can get his act together and then next year after Jammer, Arrington, and Dowling is gone will resume the Slot spot. And finally for Dowling yes I have given up on him. He is made of very fragile glass and will more than likely be released before his contract is up.
Now to the Safeties. I have not given up on Wilson, but when you have a chance to get a difference maker at a spot your weak at you take it. Byrd will give us a very solid secondary for at least 3yrs with his ball hawking ability. Gregory was brought in to only be a stop gap solution and he has done ok but nothing to warrent an automatic starting job. Same goes for Wilson who honestly came out of no where with his 4int but after that didn't do anything worth noting. I understand your argument with it being to crowded but for our weakest area that could turn out to be a good thing. As for signing Jennings or Amendola. Amendola will get a big contract to stay with the Rams helping Bradford grow as a QB, and Jennings will be leaving the Packers only because of next year Matthews and Raji are free agents and they don't have the cap to keep all three, so with that he will be a free agent and a WR I would love the Pat to get but just don't see it with teams like the Dolphins, Chiefs, Jets, Texans.... all needing a WR and with more cap space at that point then us. Plus Jennings getting hurt the past two three years doesn't help me find it a good reason for the Pats to sign him with the injury bug we got this year. Plus he would be burried on our depth chart
ConnPatFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mock Offseason before the SuperBowl Reply with quote

Wes Welker:
I would be very happy with a 2 or even 3 year deal. I think he is the second most important piece of our offense.

Aqib Talib:
Not sure Talib will be resigned. If he is, I think it is very bad news for Dowling.

Julian Edilman:
I think Edilman is worth more than a one year deal, not at big money, but 3 yr 6.5 mil or so.

Donald Thomas:
Possible someone throws starter money at him, in which case I don't think we keep him(not 100% sure tho).

Sebastion Vollmer:
Honestly, it will be hard to say what the right choice with him was till a few years down the road. Depends on the price/contract.

Kyle Arrington CB- 1yr
Showed flashes and had a few good games. If he is willing to take a pay cut and a one yr deal Patriots resign him, but anything more he walks.

Jairus Byrd:
Maybe I'm off base, but I see both McCourty and Byrd as too similar.
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I agree with Byrd being an immediate upgrade over any Safety we have on the roster, I find it hard to believe Buff wont tag him, if not to attempt to sign him long term to at least have him for another year and keep him from all teams including the perrenial power house rival in NE. I think we take the draft approach with a safety. I like your resigns from the team, especially Talib and Julez. I think both will be complex resigns, Talib with his play and his influence on the field/team to contrast with his past off field shananigans. Julez with his connection/affection from BB and flashes of min-welker and than some will contrast with his innability to stay healthy when he finally get hot playing wise.

Sig by Smack
AAP Chandler Jones
2.5 Sax, 17 tackles, 1 TD
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. No way you could get all of this under the cap.

2. I'm not opposed to drafting Da'Rick Rodgers, but the 2nd is too high for me when there are simply better prospects on the board. I know people throw around Dez Bryant comparisons, but Rodgers isn't nearly as fast as Bryant or even Marshall. We already have excellent possession guys like Gronk and Hernandez on board. I'd rather go for a faster guy with skills like Wheaton, Patton, or Dobson, PLUS no baggage.

3. No way Sylvester Williams is there in the 3rd. And if we're gonna pick up a UT type in the draft, why bother to sign Okoye? Mathieu and Gholston will also be gone well before you have us taking them IMO.

Overall, I like the finished product on paper but the whole thing is too unrealistic. We've yet to see if the Pats can retain all their significant contributors, let alone shell out for a guy like Byrd. Talib, Vollmer, and Welker all have a significant likelihood of walking, and that's before getting to minor FAs like Woodhead or Edelman.

The one draft pick I really liek is Sylvester Williams, but he's a top 45 talent.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need speed.
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs less NBT?

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: