Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Prospects Opinion Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Draft Prospects Opinion Thread Reply with quote

I know there is another draft prospect thread but it was mainly just the OPs thoughts on a few guys and everyone commented.

For this I will continously update this OP with forums thoughts and opinions of players that people are Mock'ing we will take.

So give me your thoughts on the names bolded from other mock drafts and I will credit you with that criticism/praise...

I will limit it to 4 rounds

17. Jarvis Jones, DE, Georgia
- will be a DND by draft day. He has a spinal issue that will not allow him to play very long. - jebrick

17. Manti Te'o- LB- Notre Dame
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=510006

17. Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB
- he played with a great DL and doesn't have the skillset for a high draft OLB. - armsteeld

17. Dion Jordan DE/LB Oregon

17. Chance Warmack - G - Alabama
- Hard nosed, road grader from the Champs in 'bama. - SteelFire

17. Jonathan Hankins, DT, Ohio st.

47. Chase Thomas, LB, Stanford

48. Gio Bernard RB UNC
- Huge fan of Bernard in Rd 2 or if we move down to the late 20's. Prototype run/pass threat in today's NFL. - treat88

48. OT Justin Pugh, Syracuse

48. Nico Johnson, LB Alabama

48. Jesse Williams DT Alabama
- Jessie Williams is the best pure 3-4 NT in the draft...Casey Hampton redux. - AlanFanecaFan

48. Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State

79. DJ Swearinger, S, South Carolina
- I really like DJ Swearinger. Big hitter, some say he's a tad stiff, but he has the speed to make plays everywhere. Swearinger covers WR/TE in the slot and plays with great coverage. Looks like a player who will draw penalties for big hits, but as seen in the Arkansas game will make big plays. - SteelProven

80. Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
- Ellington is more of a change of pace RB. Not a workhorse that the Steelers need. At 5-9, 192 he won't be able to sustain the punishment of being a fulltime starter. - 1BackInBlackFan

113. Ryan Nassib,QB, Syracuse
- Both Nassib & Dysart could be the best two Qb's in this draft. Look for Nassib to be gone by Buffalo's 2nd round pick. - JPN

112. Zac Dysert, QB Miami OH

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Last edited by JDLefebvre on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:53 pm; edited 15 times in total
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jarvis Jones will be a DND by draft day. He has a spinal issue that will not allow him to play very long.

I'm not a fan of Te'o but it all depends on who is there. There are many that I would take before Te'o but he is not chopped liver.

Love Montgomery at 17

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't like any of those guys at 17. Those high on Montgomery, he played with a great DL and doesn't have the skillset for a high draft OLB.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
treat88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge fan of Bernard in Rd 2 or if we move down to the late 20's. Prototype run/pass threat in today's NFL.

Also big on Vaccaro. True CF cover FS in the mold of a bigger Earl Thomas.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at 17 I'd love to get Te'o but I feel he won't be there.

Since that will likely be the case I'd love to get a DB and wait till round 2 or 3 to draft an ILB. Nabbing Nico Johnson in round 2 or he may fall to 3 I feel would really help the run D who struggled at times because both of the steelers starting ILb's were under 240 last year. Nico isn't great at pass coverage but he's a solid run stuffer that the D needs next to Timmons.

Eric Reid and TJ McDonald seem to be FS's on the rise again as Vaccaro and Elam take a little step back into round 2. Johnathan Banks and Xaiver Rhodes are CB who's always been personal favorites of mine because of their size. If we lose Keenan Lewis and it's a possiblity, they will want to draft a CB.

Keep your eye out for WR's and TE's also. Mike Wallace is all but assured to be gone and with Heath Miller's knee injury there is no guarentee he is retained either.

Keenan Allen is the best WR prospect and may last to 17.
Terrance Williams is next and then Justin Hunter.

They are all three big wrs but also have speed and the team badly needs that combo.

For TE's Tyler Eifert is in the mold of Kyle Rudolph and I feel will be a pro caliber TE. He his big, fast for a TE and has strong hands. If Miller is gone (which I hope isn't the case) it would not shock me if Eifert is the selection.

Last edited by turtle28 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Nassib & Dysart could be the best two Qb's in this draft. Look for Nassib to be gone by Buffalo's 2nd round pick.

...you have a forum resume?
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellington is more of a change of pace RB. Not a workhorse that the Steelers need. At 5-9, 192 he won't be able to sustain the punishment of being a fulltime starter.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff guys... keep em coming

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
steelers43

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMK4a-NcbJ4

Andrew Jackson ILB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8QzQOVKiu0

Andrew Jackson*, ILB, Western Kentucky
Height: 6-1. Weight: 265.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2012): 2-4.
12/15/12: Jackson has totaled 116 tackles, 16.5 tackles for a loss, two sacks and four forced fumbles this season. He held his own against Alabama with seven tackles and 1.5 tackles for a loss. Jackson had a huge game against Florida Atlantic with 19 tackles, 3.5 tackles for a loss, a pass batted and a forced fumble that was returned 75 yards for a touchdown by teammate Quanterus Smith.

Jackson is one of the most physical players in college football. He lays the hammer on linemen and ball-carriers.

8/31/12: The Lakeland, Fla. product Jackson grew up in Ray Lewis' hometown and has patterned his game after the future Hall of Famer. Jackson had 109 tackles with 17 tackles for a loss, 3.5 sacks, one interception and one forced fumble in 2011. The sophomore played well against the better competition with 12 tackles and a sack against Kentucky and eight tackles and a sack against LSU.

Jackson is a thumper of a linebacker. He has good instincts and some quickness. Jackson is extremely physical and has real presence on the field with a big-time demeanor. It was his first season of playing time, so the junior has a lot of potential and a high ceiling to get better in 2012 and 2013. (waltersfootball)

" The dead know only one thing... It's better to be ALIVE"

"Your Coach is a Cheater, Your Super Bowls are lies, you back-up at Michigan"(Tom Brady) stated by Tosh O
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
Ellington is more of a change of pace RB. Not a workhorse that the Steelers need. At 5-9, 192 he won't be able to sustain the punishment of being a fulltime starter.
agreed. That's why everyone has him mocked late 2nd, early 3rd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelers43 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMK4a-NcbJ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8QzQOVKiu0

Andrew Jackson*, ILB, Western Kentucky

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013ILB.php

Quote:
Height: 6-1. Weight: 265.
Projected 40 Time: 4.72.
Projected Round (2012): 2-4.
12/15/12: Jackson has totaled 116 tackles, 16.5 tackles for a loss, two sacks and four forced fumbles this season. He held his own against Alabama with seven tackles and 1.5 tackles for a loss. Jackson had a huge game against Florida Atlantic with 19 tackles, 3.5 tackles for a loss, a pass batted and a forced fumble that was returned 75 yards for a touchdown by teammate Quanterus Smith.

Jackson is one of the most physical players in college football. He lays the hammer on linemen and ball-carriers.

Jackson is a thumper of a linebacker. He has good instincts and some quickness. Jackson is extremely physical and has real presence on the field with a big-time demeanor. It was his first season of playing time, so the junior has a lot of potential and a high ceiling to get better in 2012 and 2013. (waltersfootball)
if we don't get Nico Johnson he's is the guy i want! I saw him in the bowl game. Levon Kirklandesque in size, I think that 265 is generous. Wouldn't be surprised if he's actually 10-15 lbs heavier. I think he's going to be a stud and should go round 3 or 4.
SteelFire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Chance Warmack Reply with quote

Love him.

Hard nosed, road grader from the Champs in 'bama.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Chance Warmack Reply with quote

SteelFire wrote:
Love him.

Hard nosed, road grader from the Champs in 'bama.

Confused

Who???

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing Eddie Lacy haha

Eddie Lacy is everything... Mendenhall was supposed to be! I'm furious, Mendenhall ought to watch highlights of Lacy! Evil or Very Mad

After watching Bama vs ND...

I'm almost sure Jesse Williams will end up playing for the Steelers. Dude is flat-out beast, easily most versatile 3-4 defensive lineman. He just blow up everybody and clogged lanes. His pass-rushing have left some to be desired but man... He could be easily top 10, maybe top 5 by combine due to the athleticism he has. However if he's there by 17th pick... He's ours.

I have said this many times, but I'm high on Shamarko Thomas as Polamalu's replacement. Superb athlete, very intelligent, hard-hitting, and has really good overall game as a safety. Improved his tackling fundamentals this year (no injury to prove this) where last year and 2 he'd throw his body around. Probably fair to say he's a safety who hit like a linebacker and chase down like a cornerback (speed-wise) and runs in 4.3 at 5'10" 210 lbs.

So far I have seen some project him between 3rd-4th. Personally, he's a late 1st round to 2nd round prospect. Would love for him to play in Steelers uniform, of course... he's one of 4 potential draftees from my old high school for this year draft Shocked impressive...
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you more down on Dion than before Gator? Seems like you're not pimping him as much. Believe you supported Te'o and now Jesse Williams. Who would you take if all 3 are there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: