Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tom Telesco Hired as New San Diego Chargers General Manager
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kramxel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe we aren't keeping Pagano....

He should be here next year.... getting rid of him, or allowing him to leave, would be dumb!
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take Your Pick- Holmgren is also available for a 8-10 million a year.

Coordinators:
Bill Callahan (OC Dallas)
Juan Castillo (Former DC Philadelphia)
Brad Childress (Former OC Cleveland)
Gunther Cunningham (DC Detroit)
Jerry Gray (DC Tennessee)
Jay Gruden (OC Cincinnati)
Mike McCoy (OC Denver)
Josh McDaniels (OC New England)
Sean McDermott (DC Carolina)
Mary MOrnhinweg (OC Philadelphia:
Mike Nolan (DC Atlanta)
Mike Sherman (OC Miami)
Mark Snyder (DC Texas A&M
Steve Spagnulo (DC New Orleans)
Mel Tucker (DC Jacksonville)
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Broncos OC Mike McCoy is believed to prefer the Chargers' head coaching job over Arizona or Jacksonville's.
As Profootballtalk's Darin Gantt points out, this is hardly surprising considering each team's quarterback situation. However, if McCoy wants the Bolts job, he's going to have to beat out presumed favorite Bruce Arians. The Chargers are also believed to be considering Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith and Bengals OC Jay Gruden.

Better?

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Broncos OC Mike McCoy is believed to prefer the Chargers' head coaching job over Arizona or Jacksonville's.
As Profootballtalk's Darin Gantt points out, this is hardly surprising considering each team's quarterback situation. However, if McCoy wants the Bolts job, he's going to have to beat out presumed favorite Bruce Arians. The Chargers are also believed to be considering Ken Whisenhunt, Lovie Smith and Bengals OC Jay Gruden.

Better?

I guess the team flew out to Denver yesterday/today, and Mike McCoy was supposedly on the flight back with them, could mean McCoy is the new HC for the Chargers. Thoughts on him? since he's one of the guys that i really dont know much about.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:

Better?

I guess the team flew out to Denver yesterday/today, and Mike McCoy was supposedly on the flight back with them, could mean McCoy is the new HC for the Chargers. Thoughts on him? since he's one of the guys that i really dont know much about.

The simplest way I think I can sum the guy up is McDaniels without the ego. I'm still not convinced he's "ready", but then I also had the same concerns about Mike Tomlin when he was hired and look how that turned out. If this is as a HC who is the leader and the dictator of team identity and approach I love it; so basically as long as he's not saddling himself with play-calling but rather just exerts "influence" over the identity of the offense. I think - short of McDaniels without any personnel control - he's the closest thing you're going to find to another Sean Payton on the market right now.
He's highly adaptable, from what I hear has a lethally brilliant mind for the game, and most importantly he understands fitting scheme to the talent rather than the other way around (McD's biggest weakness which is likely a product of immaturity - i.e. McD puts Belichick on a pedestal and rather than try to be like Bill in the sense of "doing his own thing" he tried to be like Bill in "replicating what Bill does"). I don't think Fox is the best influence on McCoy, in that Fox is the one (again, HC who is letting his OC do the play-calling but is asserting a heavy influence on the direction of the team) one with the conservative M.O. dating back to Carolina.
Other positive (at least I hope because it's been a trait of every offense that McCoy has coached on) is that I think there's a decent chance that if he's the hire he bring more zone-blocking to our OL scheme which plays to the strengths of the guys that we actually are retaining (except Clary's who doesn't have the requisite intelligence to operate in any blocking scheme).

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramxel wrote:

He should be here next year.... getting rid of him, or allowing him to leave, would be dumb!

Where are we not keeping him? Nothing is concrete yet, they're simply going to give the new HC the opportunity to select his own staff (which is the way it should be; sorry, but I agree with that wholeheartedly). That staff might include Pagano, it might include a coordinator like Ray Horton or Rocky Seto - both of whom I believe can be just as productive with our current unit (possibly better considering neither play the Wade-ish bend-but-don't-break style).

At this point all that's happened is two teams have expressed an interest in him. That's fine. They're expressing interest for a lateral hire, and Pags is still under contract with us, so we have to grant permission to them to interview him for any lateral hire. We're not going that until after whoever our new HC is decided whether or not he wants Pags in his current capacity on his staff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:

Better?

The simplest way I think I can sum the guy up is McDaniels without the ego. I'm still not convinced he's "ready", but then I also had the same concerns about Mike Tomlin when he was hired and look how that turned out. If this is as a HC who is the leader and the dictator of team identity and approach I love it; so basically as long as he's not saddling himself with play-calling but rather just exerts "influence" over the identity of the offense. I think - short of McDaniels without any personnel control - he's the closest thing you're going to find to another Sean Payton on the market right now.
He's highly adaptable, from what I hear has a lethally brilliant mind for the game, and most importantly he understands fitting scheme to the talent rather than the other way around (McD's biggest weakness which is likely a product of immaturity - i.e. McD puts Belichick on a pedestal and rather than try to be like Bill in the sense of "doing his own thing" he tried to be like Bill in "replicating what Bill does"). I don't think Fox is the best influence on McCoy, in that Fox is the one (again, HC who is letting his OC do the play-calling but is asserting a heavy influence on the direction of the team) one with the conservative M.O. dating back to Carolina.
Other positive (at least I hope because it's been a trait of every offense that McCoy has coached on) is that I think there's a decent chance that if he's the hire he bring more zone-blocking to our OL scheme which plays to the strengths of the guys that we actually are retaining (except Clary's who doesn't have the requisite intelligence to operate in any blocking scheme).

That is the biggest reason why he was my number one choice. He is the opposite of Norv in that regard. Even when the offense was top 5 under Norv, it was never really flexible.....we simply overwhelmed teams with our talent.

Granted he is only 40 and that may be a bit of a concern. But I still like him over Arians and I think Rivers would flourish under him.
kramxel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
kramxel wrote:

Where are we not keeping him? Nothing is concrete yet, they're simply going to give the new HC the opportunity to select his own staff (which is the way it should be; sorry, but I agree with that wholeheartedly). That staff might include Pagano, it might include a coordinator like Ray Horton or Rocky Seto - both of whom I believe can be just as productive with our current unit (possibly better considering neither play the Wade-ish bend-but-don't-break style).

At this point all that's happened is two teams have expressed an interest in him. That's fine. They're expressing interest for a lateral hire, and Pags is still under contract with us, so we have to grant permission to them to interview him for any lateral hire. We're not going that until after whoever our new HC is decided whether or not he wants Pags in his current capacity on his staff.

I believe the team is already in too much turmoil, to even think of letting Pagano go....

Concentrate on the offense, and if Pagano's D regresses, then it's a matter for next year.

You can't fix everything in one offseason.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Raye jumped to Telesco's old spot. Must have been miiiiiiffed.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramxel wrote:
The LBC wrote:
kramxel wrote:

I believe the team is already in too much turmoil, to even think of letting Pagano go....

Concentrate on the offense, and if Pagano's D regresses, then it's a matter for next year.

You can't fix everything in one offseason.

And maybe, just maybe Telesco doesn't see this as a quick fix. Fans need to be prepared for this. It may be a two year turnaround. That doesn't mean you sacrifice the long-term success for the short-term. That's how you end up like the damn Jets.

Sorry, you're not going to convince me that it's the correct thing to do to force a HC to accept a pre-made hire to his staff. If he decides it's what he wants to do then great. If he decides to go in a different direction, you let him, because otherwise why the hell are you hiring him in the first place if you don't buy into his vision for the team? This is Ted Cottrell all over again, except in this case Cottrell's actually good. It still doesn't make it the smart/right move. Pags has the body of work to be hired on his own merits, he shouldn't be force-fed. Period.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the worst things a team can do is force a new GM or HC to hire people/keep people they may not like. Let them put their own stamp, good or bad, on the team.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
One of the worst things a team can do is force a new GM or HC to hire people/keep people they may not like. Let them put their own stamp, good or bad, on the team.

Could be why the Jets will have even more of a problem. And maybe even Cleveland now.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mike McCoy would be the best fit for the Chargers, but it seems like they will probably go with Bruce Arians.

For you guys, I'd probably rank them as:

1. Mike McCoy
2. Ken Whisenhunt
3. Bruce Arians
4. Lovie Smith
5. Jay Gruden

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the Chargers are "nearing a deal" to make Mike McCoy their head coach.
McCoy, who has spent the last four seasons as the Broncos' offensive coordinator, knows the Chargers' personnel well after facing them twice a season. It's a no-brainer to choose Philip Rivers over the woeful quarterback situations in Jacksonville and Arizona. La Canfora says it "looks like" the deal will be finalized today -- meaning Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is still on the market.

Just hope he likes Pagano.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: