Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bouchette on the 2013 Steeler Oline
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
popie70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
popie70 wrote:
jcm412 wrote:
I don't get how everyone is so sure Starks and Foster will be resigned. Starks will get payed by someone who needs a LT. He finally proved he can be a solid LT and is healthy.

Foster is going to get paid too much as well.

With our cap problems I really can't see us keeping either. I personally agree with Ed.

If that were the case than how come no one has tried to sign him before? I agree he has done a solid job but you are never sure if he will come back for camp at 400lbs. That's why no other teams have tried to make a move on him.

I think it is more likely that foster is signed by another o-line desperate team to a bigger contract than his play merits. I could see Starks coming back and battling it out with Gilbert

Teams have short term memory in the NFL. Its more about what you have done lately. He played his best season yet and stayed healthy. I would bet a team like the Chargers or something will over pay him.

I could see maybe the Cardinals but the Chargers just got burned by Gaither and his laziness. Not saying Starks is that lazy but fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and you can call me AJ Smith
Dcash4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cant see us going into that situation - unless a vet FA is brought in as a solid back up.

He asks our line to hold up with a combined 9 years of experience and 0 depth outside of Legs. I cant believe that the smartest thing for a football team to do.

If Foster can be brought back at a semi reasonable amount...i do what i can to ensure that. A starting Guard who can play RT for me in a pinch, and would keep Beachum as a jack of all back up... im for that.
3rivers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
careful what you say. Sensibility and our offensive line are typically mutally exclusive

some examples:

1. They won't REALLY offer an extension to willie Colon after he spent the last 2 season on IR, will they?

2. They won't REALLY put a pair of rookies side by side on the same side of the offensive line against one of the best defensive lines in the NFL will they?

3. They won't REALLY force a rookie coming off a season-long IR to go 1 on 1 with Geno Atkins most of the game, will they?

4. They won't REALLY go into a season thinking Jonathan Scott is the answer at LT will they?

Let's take a look at some offensive starters we've relied upon for multiple seasons, but eventually let go:

Sean Mahan
Justin Hartwig
Chris Kemoeatu
Trai Essex
Darnell Stapleton

notice something about them? They're all unemployed, despite all being of playing age.

Of course, we'll let Max Starks go, because he's competent, and our FO has their heads so far up their hindquarters concerning the offensive line.

Murphy's Law of Steelers' Offensive Linemen:
1. If they're competent, get rid of them
2. If they suck, sign them and cite "positional versatility"
3. If they suck and have no positional versatility, make excuses and pray for the health of the franchise

you beat me to it Laughing

This idea of Gilbert at LT is scary. I say keep starks and how about this:

starks ,beechum/foster or draft, mo, DD , Adams

This FO won't do this though . If they really believe Gilbert can play LT, I just have to wait and see. This could finalize their blindness towards OL or evaluating OL, because it is the most critical OL position most would say.

Even if they can trade colon for anything, it could allow them to sign starks who was a good player.

Gilbert declined last year, and to think he will start LT is quite a leap Idea
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starks should only be brought back for insurance. I know not many feel comfortable with Gilbert at LT. But the Steelers have to see what he's made of and let him play. Keep Starks around on another 1 yr contract just in case.

Does it really matter if the Steelers have 3 new starters would it be any different from what they do during the season?

Gilbert/Starks, Foster/FA/Draft pick/Beachum, Pouncey, DeCastro, Adams/Beachum.

The Steelers OL biggest obstacle isn't who's playing as its about during the season who's healthy. I'll say this "if" this OL stays healthy all season then this offense will go places.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starks turns 31 tomorrow and he has had injury issues and weight issues. I don't see another team investing a lot in him and as long as its close I think he would give the Steelers a hometown discount. He has been available before and no one has signed him. This isn't his first above average season. Foster is an average to slightly above average guard. I can't see him getting offered a lot of money either with how poorly we were at run blocking. I know Geno Atkins is good but he threw Foster around a little bit. I'm surprised people think they are going to be hot commodities. Its not like we had one of the best lines in the league or anything.

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers should draft Warmack even if they sign Foster. The Steelers OL over the years hasn't been reliable so there has to be capable backups. Foster plays 3 positions along the OL and has played average to above at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going into this season, I thought this was the our last year to really make a run at a championship. This off-season is beginning to look pretty rough and we might be in re-tool mode for the next few seasons. Obviously nothing has happened yet but it seems we are going to go into the draft with a lot of holes to fill so we better hope steelers have one of their better drafts or we could be in trouble for the next 2-3 seasons

props to dawg24
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

How is Max going to leave via Free Agency? ...

simple. He packs his bags and goes.

turtle28 wrote:
where exactly do they think he's going to go that is better than his situation in Pittsburgh where the franchise QB loves him like a brother?

well, I'd be willing to bet Arizona or Chicago will easily pay him a helluva lot more money than he'd get here. Remember, the Steelers are the franchise that has continuously disrespected him, cut him, benched him, and tried to get rid of him. He's a pretty good and quite reliable LT, and if you look at the LTs across the NFL, you might be surprised at how many are worse than Max.

turtle28 wrote:
Foster will be re-signed, no point in creating a hole at LG there.

they started Legursky over Foster. They have shown the same contempt for Foster that they did for Max. I don't know why, but even when Foster showed a lot more than our other interior OL, Foster seemed to be 3rd man out aside from injuries.

turtle28 wrote:
Colon will be the only player not retained for mainly the injury problems. He wasn't that bad at guard, the dude just can't stay healthy.

yeah, he actually was pretty bad.

turtle28 wrote:
Gilbert and Adams will battle it out for the starting RT spot.

You'd think they would battle it out for the starting LT spot, since that is considered far more important then RT. Of course, you'd think we would never have extended a 340-lb penalty-ridden IR-living overpaid albatross like Fat Willie Colon, but we did.

jebrick wrote:
almost any scenario that gets rid of Colon is alright with me.

same wavelength, you and I....
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the game was whatever lineman fell to the ground first, Colon would win every time!! If the rule was whatever lineman fell to the ground 10 seconds after the play is over, Kemo would win every time!! Maybe they think there's gold on the ground!! Laughing Laughing

Btw, how would you rate our offensive lineman overall from who we have now? Here's my list, assuming they're healthy:

1. Starks
2. Pouncey
3. Adams
4. Foster
5. Beachum
6. Decastro (I assume, by default. i think he'll be much higher but right now, he's this low)
7. Legursky at center
8. Colon
9. Gilbert

Tough since they play different positions, and I might be crazy. But that's my general list. Decastro is tough because he has the most potential, but not much productivity with his injury and all.

Last edited by at23steelers on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
If the game was whatever lineman fell to the ground first, Colon would win every time!! If the rule was whatever lineman fell to the ground 10 seconds after the play is over, Kemo would win every time!! Maybe they think there's chocolate-covered bacon on the ground!! Laughing Laughing

fixed.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
If the game was whatever lineman fell to the ground first, Colon would win every time!! If the rule was whatever lineman fell to the ground 10 seconds after the play is over, Kemo would win every time!! Maybe they think there's chocolate-covered bacon on the ground!! Laughing Laughing

fixed.

Laughing Laughing GOT IT!! In practice, I bet at random times Kugler threw bacon on the ground during the play to see who was paying attention and Colon excelled at the awareness from smelling it!! Now, Zierlein messed up with this strategy, because he would always throw the bacon on the ground after the play, which is when Kemo charged in on top of everyone to take it!! Too bad they were fooled during games!! Laughing Wink
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M. Starks is 31 yrs old why would a team want him now? M. Starks will do what he normally does go into FA with no viable suitors. When TC rolls around he'll be signed to a 1 yr deal. It really isn't hurting the Steelers bringing him back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
If the game was whatever lineman fell to the ground first, Colon would win every time!! If the rule was whatever lineman fell to the ground 10 seconds after the play is over, Kemo would win every time!! Maybe they think there's gold on the ground!! Laughing Laughing

Btw, how would you rate our offensive lineman overall from who we have now? Here's my list, assuming they're healthy:

1. Starks
2. Pouncey
3. Adams
4. Foster
5. Beachum
6. Decastro (I assume, by default. i think he'll be much higher but right now, he's this low)
7. Legursky at center
8. Colon
9. Gilbert

Tough since they play different positions, and I might be crazy. But that's my general list. Decastro is tough because he has the most potential, but not much productivity with his injury and all.

This list makes me laugh. Ridiculously bad.

Sig courtesy of miafins23 Thanks
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mo: Ok whats yours then Mo?
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mo: Ok whats yours then Mo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: