Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bouchette on the 2013 Steeler Oline
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Bouchette on the 2013 Steeler Oline Reply with quote

Quote:
Three regular starters in the Steelers offensive line likely won’t return in 2013 and all three players who took turns starting at right tackle should start at three separate positions next season.
Look for Max Starks and Ramon Foster to leave in free agency and Willie Colon to be released. Colon’s knee injury that placed him on injured reserve for the third straight season was the last straw. The Steelers want to move on and they believe they have the right man to replace him.
The Steelers drafted Kelvin Beachum – their fourth and final pick in the seventh round last year – to play guard even though he started all 52 games in his four years at SMU. When Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams were shelved by injuries after starting at right tackle, the Steelers turned to Beachum. He started there the final five games and did a nice job. It helped convince them he can start at guard – coincidentally, moving from and to the same position that Colon did.
They will turn the right tackle job over to Adams. Gilbert will start at left tackle. There was a time many assumed Adams would play left tackle, but he is a more natural right tackle, a better run blocker, and Gilbert’s more natural position is left tackle.
David DeCastro will take over at right guard as he did at the end of the season when he became healthy from his preseason knee injury. And, of course, there is three-time Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey.
Their backups are to be determined because at the moment only John Malecki is under contract from their season-ending roster.
That, ladies and gents, is your 2013 Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line. Check back for medical updates

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't go into next year with 3 new starters on the OL...

I expect one of Max, Foster and and T-Rex arms is resigned...I hope it's either Max or Foster.

Urbiks deal with BUF set the market for solid RGs.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a lot more faith in Gilbert than I do. This leaves our bench empty essentially as we also have to re-sign Legs.

Ive always been a Malecki fan, but even I wouldn't bank on that especially leaving us without OT options.

...you have a forum resume?
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

careful what you say. Sensibility and our offensive line are typically mutally exclusive

some examples:

1. They won't REALLY offer an extension to willie Colon after he spent the last 2 season on IR, will they?

2. They won't REALLY put a pair of rookies side by side on the same side of the offensive line against one of the best defensive lines in the NFL will they?

3. They won't REALLY force a rookie coming off a season-long IR to go 1 on 1 with Geno Atkins most of the game, will they?

4. They won't REALLY go into a season thinking Jonathan Scott is the answer at LT will they?

Let's take a look at some offensive starters we've relied upon for multiple seasons, but eventually let go:

Sean Mahan
Justin Hartwig
Chris Kemoeatu
Trai Essex
Darnell Stapleton

notice something about them? They're all unemployed, despite all being of playing age.

Of course, we'll let Max Starks go, because he's competent, and our FO has their heads so far up their hindquarters concerning the offensive line.

Murphy's Law of Steelers' Offensive Linemen:
1. If they're competent, get rid of them
2. If they suck, sign them and cite "positional versatility"
3. If they suck and have no positional versatility, make excuses and pray for the health of the franchise
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked Bouchette's analysis but I'll believe this when I see it. Not sure why they would let both Starks and Foster go? Too much of a risk to me. I would like to see Starks come back at least. I understand they look at Gilbert as the LT of the future but he's been injury-prone and inconisistent so far. I don't think they should give up on him at all but signing a proven and longtime Steeler veteran like Starks is the sensible decision.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the salary situation. The team is very close to not being able to push salaries out any more.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:

I expect one of Max, Foster and and T-Rex arms is resigned...I hope it's either Max or Foster.

I agree with this.

How is Max going to leave via Free Agency? ... where exactly do they think he's going to go that is better than his situation in Pittsburgh where the franchise QB loves him like a brother?

Foster will be re-signed, no point in creating a hole at LG there.

Colon will be the only player not retained for mainly the injury problems. He wasn't that bad at guard, the dude just can't stay healthy.

Gilbert and Adams will battle it out for the starting RT spot.

The team will draft an interior OL in rounds 4-6 to develop for depth.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

I agree with this.

Max is going to leave via Free Agency... where exactly do they think he's going to go that is better than his situation in Pittsburgh where the franchise QB loves him like a brother?

Foster will be re-signed, no point in creating a hole there.

Colon will be the only player not retained for mainly the injury problems. He wasn't that bad at guard, the dude just can't stay healthy.

Agree with everything here. Our line into next season should be:

Starks-Foster-Pouncey-DD-Adams with Gilbert and Beachum as our main backups. This is unless we draft Warmack in the 1st round and then he'd take over Foster's spot.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

I agree with this.

Max is going to leave via Free Agency... where exactly do they think he's going to go that is better than his situation in Pittsburgh where the franchise QB loves him like a brother?

Foster will be re-signed, no point in creating a hole there.

Agree with everything here. Our line into next season should be:

Starks-Foster-Pouncey-DD-Adams with Gilbert and Beachum as our main backups. This is unless we draft Warmack in the 1st round and then he'd take over Foster's spot.
Free agency comes before the draft. If they sign Foster, they won't draft Warmack. If they can't sign Foster, then possibly they'd take Warmack.

IMHO I still feel you only need so much high talent on an OL. Two 1st round picked interior lineman and two 2nd round picked OT's should be looked at and developed for a few years before drafting another high draft choice along the OL.

If they are going to draft a replacement for Foster, it doesn't have to be Warmack, they can wait till the mid rounds to get someone. I actually have faith that if Foster is gone, Beacham would be a perfect fit at guard, he doesn't look like an OT to me, he looks more like and OG., shorter and "wide and all outside" lmfao! Laughing

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Turtle, it just depends how cheap they can get Foster. If he's asking for a higher price, then let him walk and draft a guard. If you can get him for cheap, then sign him and have him and Beachum fight it out for the LG spot.
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that Bouchette has a blow up the roster scenario. THey are 10M over the cap. Not much but how long can they keep pushing salary out 1 year.

almost any scenario that gets rid of Colon is alright with me.

jcm412

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get how everyone is so sure Starks and Foster will be resigned. Starks will get payed by someone who needs a LT. He finally proved he can be a solid LT and is healthy.

Foster is going to get paid too much as well.

With our cap problems I really can't see us keeping either. I personally agree with Ed.
popie70

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
I don't get how everyone is so sure Starks and Foster will be resigned. Starks will get payed by someone who needs a LT. He finally proved he can be a solid LT and is healthy.

With our cap problems I really can't see us keeping either. I personally agree with Ed.

If that were the case than how come no one has tried to sign him before? I agree he has done a solid job but you are never sure if he will come back for camp at 400lbs. That's why no other teams have tried to make a move on him.

I think it is more likely that foster is signed by another o-line desperate team to a bigger contract than his play merits. I could see Starks coming back and battling it out with Gilbert
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree, jcm412.

Personally still don't see a 1st round O-lineman unless the name is Luke Joeckel who could be something very special. Yes, Chase Warmack is a damn good guard but... Don't see it. There isn't really a big separation between him and Jonathan Cooper (who is also a 1st round prospect BTW) and other two is a potential 1st round prospects (Warford of Kentucky and Dallas Thomas of Tennessee)

I would rather have Warford in 2nd over Warmack in 1st because of the insufficient players at position we need compared to surplus amount of guards in this draft.

Few prospects that I like and has a mauling personality
Cyril Richardson, Baylor 6'5" 335 lbs.
Travis Frederick, Wisconsin 6'4" 338 lbs.
Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State 6'4" 320 lbs.
James Wilson, Florida 6'3" 315 lbs.

They all vary between 2nd round-6th round. As you can see, this is why I'm not high on a guard in 1st round because the depth is fanastic.
jcm412

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:
jcm412 wrote:

If that were the case than how come no one has tried to sign him before? I agree he has done a solid job but you are never sure if he will come back for camp at 400lbs. That's why no other teams have tried to make a move on him.

I think it is more likely that foster is signed by another o-line desperate team to a bigger contract than his play merits. I could see Starks coming back and battling it out with Gilbert

Teams have short term memory in the NFL. Its more about what you have done lately. He played his best season yet and stayed healthy. I would bet a team like the Chargers or something will over pay him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: