Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Pettine Hired As Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetfuel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
jetfuel wrote:
You guys can have this rat. I'm really surprised that he even is still in the NFL. He was the person that leaked all the information to the media causing most of the circus. When he took over the D for the jets they were getting no pressure on the QB at all. Also I don't know who this O'neil guy is. The DB coach was Dennis Thurman. He is now the new DC for the jets. I really feel bad for the bills this was a very very poor hire. He is a bad caoch that leaks information and you can not trust him. He would work great in Congress but no for the Bills.

I have heard this a lot, but am wondering if there is any real source to it? Its not that I don't believe it, I am just curious who broke this "he's the leak" news.

Also it is a very bold hire by Marrone, proves he isn't intimidated by Rex or anyone.

Manish reported that he was the leak. They also gave him a cell phone that he HAD to use so they can keep track of what he was doing and saying to the media. My brother is a big bills fan for 20 plus years and he is not happy about this hire. I really think he would have been luck to even find a desk job in the NFL let alone a coaching job. There are way too many good young DC and old DC out to give him one of the 32 jobs out there. Here is a short list that would have been better hires. Romeo Cornel, Ken Norton Jr., Bryan Cox, and Lovie Smith (if not a head coach) just to name a few. I'm sure there are a lot more out there.
green24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfuel wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
jetfuel wrote:
You guys can have this rat. I'm really surprised that he even is still in the NFL. He was the person that leaked all the information to the media causing most of the circus. When he took over the D for the jets they were getting no pressure on the QB at all. Also I don't know who this O'neil guy is. The DB coach was Dennis Thurman. He is now the new DC for the jets. I really feel bad for the bills this was a very very poor hire. He is a bad caoch that leaks information and you can not trust him. He would work great in Congress but no for the Bills.

I have heard this a lot, but am wondering if there is any real source to it? Its not that I don't believe it, I am just curious who broke this "he's the leak" news.

Also it is a very bold hire by Marrone, proves he isn't intimidated by Rex or anyone.

Manish reported that he was the leak. They also gave him a cell phone that he HAD to use so they can keep track of what he was doing and saying to the media. My brother is a big bills fan for 20 plus years and he is not happy about this hire. I really think he would have been luck to even find a desk job in the NFL let alone a coaching job. There are way too many good young DC and old DC out to give him one of the 32 jobs out there. Here is a short list that would have been better hires. Romeo Cornel, Ken Norton Jr., Bryan Cox, and Lovie Smith (if not a head coach) just to name a few. I'm sure there are a lot more out there.

Not true. Mike Francessa accused Pettine of being the leak. Manish is the one that he was leaking stories to.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubiDo0 wrote:
BenchSanchez wrote:
Glad he's gone. I can't handle someone leaking stuff to the media.

What exactly was said? This has concerned me as well.

I don't think it is much to be concerned with. Marrone got the story from Pettine's side during the interview and the Jets offered him a new contract so it couldn't have been to bad of a situation.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
Thought he would be blackballed from a job.

Dunno... maybe he's made enough of a buddy-buddy relationship with Manish Mehta that MM will give feed him some insider intel on the Jets? Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to see how he does without Rex, though he had to go. I'm amazed he got a job at all to be honest.

Adopt a Jet: Sheldon Richardson

Tackles - 77
Sacks - 3.5
Forced Fumbles - 1
4 Carries - 4 Yards - 2 TDs
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukjets21 wrote:
I'm interested to see how he does without Rex, though he had to go. I'm amazed he got a job at all to be honest.
I really want to know exactly what Pettine said to the media. Was what he said so terrible? Did he give up secrets or something? I'm honestly curious.

Reason being if it was as bad as Jets fans are making it out to be then he wouldnt have gotten an interview at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
ukjets21 wrote:
I really want to know exactly what Pettine said to the media. Was what he said so terrible? Did he give up secrets or something? I'm honestly curious.

Reason being if it was as bad as Jets fans are making it out to be then he wouldnt have gotten an interview at all.

Nobody's really exactly sure what he said, exactly. But what we do know is that it got so bad that the Jets issued a special phone that he had to use for all out going and in going calls in order to make sure he wasn't leaking anything else to the media.

You can be a good coach and a terrible presence and still get a job, Petrino is an example.
ukjets21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
ukjets21 wrote:

He was accused of being the person leaking all the stories from the locker room to Manish Mehta. He also had to have a specially monitored phone last year due to leaking things, I'm not sure of the specific things that were leaked though.

With all that said I am more interested in seeing how he does without Rex, the defence was always better with Rex calling the shots, and has been recently when Rex took over again.

Adopt a Jet: Sheldon Richardson

Tackles - 77
Sacks - 3.5
Forced Fumbles - 1
4 Carries - 4 Yards - 2 TDs
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:

Not being afraid of someone doesn't translate to beating them. Just ask Rex and how he's dared against Belichick for the past two years:lol:

I kid. I do think it shows a little something from Marrone, but if I were a Bills fan I would have wanted an OC and DC with more experience and credibility, especially for a new HC like Marrone.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:

Not being afraid of someone doesn't translate to beating them. Just ask Rex and how he's dared against Belichick for the past two years:lol:

I kid. I do think it shows a little something from Marrone, but if I were a Bills fan I would have wanted an OC and DC with more experience and credibility, especially for a new HC like Marrone.
I'm cool with the OC not having much experience. He is being touted as an up and coming coach.

As for the DC. I'll admit I would have preferred a DC who was a full out DC. Not someone who was a DC but didnt call the shots.

I hope Pettine will fit his defense to fit the talent we have in Buffalo, not the other way around.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Pettine was quoted as saying this: "You donít fit your players to your scheme, but you fit your scheme to your players."

like I said. He may not veer far from the 4-3. But he should have some 3-4 and 46 concepts instilled into the current Bills framework.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
El ramster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll know everything going on in the Bills locker room
Cool

Solid hire! Should also help being from a division rival.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He confirmed the Bills will be running a hybrid defense.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Mario Williams fit in all of this?
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
How does Mario Williams fit in all of this?

my guess is he's a DE in the 4-3 and the 5 technique the 3-4. If we fail to draft a hybrid player in the draft who can be a DE/OLB then I assume Mario may play OLB in the 3-4.

I'm all about my BILLS, I'm on my Stevie Johnson .... I mean Sammy Watkins.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: