Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Pettine Hired As Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Insomniac99


Joined: 12 Sep 2011
Posts: 44
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Mike Pettine Hired As Buffalo Bills Defensive Coordinator Reply with quote

Quote:
Buffalo Bills head coach Doug Marrone is not screwing around, folks.

Mere hours after word leaked that Marrone will hire 33-year-old Nate Hackett as his offensive coordinator, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting that the team has hired former New York Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine for the same role. That means that less than 48 hours after he was introduced as head coach, Marrone's coordinators are in place.

Pettine, 46, has been an NFL coach for 11 seasons, working alongside Rex Ryan for all but one of them. He got his pro start with the Baltimore Ravens in 2002, moving up from a generic assistant role to coach the defensive line and outside linebackers before following Ryan to the Jets in 2009. There, he has been Ryan's defensive coordinator for four years, calling the game on Sundays for the last two.


http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/1/9/3854778/mike-pettine-buffalo-bills-defensive-coordinator-doug-marrone

edit: I guess they also poached DB Coach Jim O'Neil from the Jets as well.

https://twitter.com/ByTimGraham/status/289017349657477121
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RainbowCarebear


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 33834
Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid hire. Let's see if Pettine can do without Rex.
_________________

"You will never walk again... but you will fly"
“You forget. My father had four sons.”
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheKillerNacho


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 9071
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Does that mean Buffalo will switch to a 3-4? Awful if that's the case. Does Pettine have any experience with the 4-3 defense?
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
EccentricFan


Joined: 05 Jun 2012
Posts: 878
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
... Does that mean Buffalo will switch to a 3-4? Awful if that's the case. Does Pettine have any experience with the 4-3 defense?


Something I'm a bit concerned with too. It's my understanding he has some 4-3 experience, even if the bulk of his work is 3-4. I hope there's a press conference or something explaining his plans soon, but I'd much rather have him expanding his comfort zone than forcing the Bills defense to switch to a 3-4.

The defense is just much better suited to a 4-3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jetsman82


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 19696
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
... Does that mean Buffalo will switch to a 3-4? Awful if that's the case. Does Pettine have any experience with the 4-3 defense?

Assuming he runs Ryan's defense, it won't matter. Ryan employed a wide variety of 4-3 and 3-4 looks.

I will caution this to Bills fans: ever since Pettine took over play calling, the defense wasn't playing as well, and was a lot less aggressive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BenchSanchez


Joined: 27 Jan 2012
Posts: 1345
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad he's gone. I can't handle someone leaking stuff to the media.
_________________

New York Jets • Rutgers Scarlet Knights • Brooklyn Nets • New York Mets
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DubiDo0


Joined: 08 Jun 2009
Posts: 400
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenchSanchez wrote:
Glad he's gone. I can't handle someone leaking stuff to the media.


What exactly was said? This has concerned me as well.
_________________
Let's Go Buffalo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jetfuel


Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 1388
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys can have this rat. I'm really surprised that he even is still in the NFL. He was the person that leaked all the information to the media causing most of the circus. When he took over the D for the jets they were getting no pressure on the QB at all. Also I don't know who this O'neil guy is. The DB coach was Dennis Thurman. He is now the new DC for the jets. I really feel bad for the bills this was a very very poor hire. He is a bad caoch that leaks information and you can not trust him. He would work great in Congress but no for the Bills.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scar988


FF Fanatic
Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29478
Location: Marietta, GA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettine fits his defense to the talent. Not the talent to his defense. so he'll run a 4-3 in Buffalo.
_________________

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fretgod99


Global Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 18782
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scar988 wrote:
Pettine fits his defense to the talent. Not the talent to his defense. so he'll run a 4-3 in Buffalo.
I'm always encouraged about a coach's future when I hear this.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trentwannabe


Joined: 28 Dec 2007
Posts: 3356
Location: Igloo, Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfuel wrote:
You guys can have this rat. I'm really surprised that he even is still in the NFL. He was the person that leaked all the information to the media causing most of the circus. When he took over the D for the jets they were getting no pressure on the QB at all. Also I don't know who this O'neil guy is. The DB coach was Dennis Thurman. He is now the new DC for the jets. I really feel bad for the bills this was a very very poor hire. He is a bad caoch that leaks information and you can not trust him. He would work great in Congress but no for the Bills.


I have heard this a lot, but am wondering if there is any real source to it? Its not that I don't believe it, I am just curious who broke this "he's the leak" news.

Also it is a very bold hire by Marrone, proves he isn't intimidated by Rex or anyone.
_________________
R.I.P. You will be missed. #BillsMafia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BenchSanchez


Joined: 27 Jan 2012
Posts: 1345
Location: New Jersey
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
jetfuel wrote:
You guys can have this rat. I'm really surprised that he even is still in the NFL. He was the person that leaked all the information to the media causing most of the circus. When he took over the D for the jets they were getting no pressure on the QB at all. Also I don't know who this O'neil guy is. The DB coach was Dennis Thurman. He is now the new DC for the jets. I really feel bad for the bills this was a very very poor hire. He is a bad caoch that leaks information and you can not trust him. He would work great in Congress but no for the Bills.


I have heard this a lot, but am wondering if there is any real source to it? Its not that I don't believe it, I am just curious who broke this "he's the leak" news.

Also it is a very bold hire by Marrone, proves he isn't intimidated by Rex or anyone.


It was so bad a year so or ago that if I'm not mistaken while in the building he had to use a special phone so his calls could me monitored because he was leaking so much. Laughing
_________________

New York Jets • Rutgers Scarlet Knights • Brooklyn Nets • New York Mets
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thelonebillsfan


Joined: 22 Jan 2009
Posts: 8957
Location: In the ether
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
scar988 wrote:
Pettine fits his defense to the talent. Not the talent to his defense. so he'll run a 4-3 in Buffalo.
I'm always encouraged about a coach's future when I hear this.


Yea.

I'v been apprehensive about this hire, but that, that gives me a little bit more hope.
_________________

Adopt a Bill: WR, Robert Woods 5 rec, 86 Yards, 1 TD's
Adopt a Bill: DE/OLB, Mario Williams 8 TKLS, 4.5 Sacks, 4.5 TFL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. Philly


Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 35730
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought he would be blackballed from a job.
_________________


simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies


#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10039
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the great state of New York!!

I am excited about this hire.

I think we might run a 4-3 base D with some 3-4 looks thrown in. A hyrbid defense if you will.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group