Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hypothetically - Trade Partners for Romo and Ware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PincheJimmy


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 1279
Location: Flower Mound, TX
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
You guys do realize that if we trade Romo we lose about $4m in cap space... right?


Don't worry MH, your man-crush isn't going to be traded. You need not worry about having to cry yourself to sleep anytime soon because your obsession is off the team. Jerry won't get rid of him because he makes too much money on him, regardless of how well or poorly he performs. Romo is a mealticket, and Jerry is going to ride that gravy train for as long as he can and milk him for every dime he's worth.


I post a fact and you go troll? Sounds like SOP for you P9 - trying to join your boyfriend on the ban list?


I, too, posted facts. What's your point? Romo isn't going anywhere and we all know it.


Can u prove that he kept Romo because he was a meal ticket? I think he kept Romo because he a pretty good QB, those would be opinions plan , not facts. MH having a man crush on Romo is prolly a fact but I would need to see some evidence on that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Football Mensa


Joined: 13 Dec 2012
Posts: 621
Location: Texas via Louisiana and I love being Cajun...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
I can't see Ware to Pitt at all. Too many olb types in this draft and like you said Star they build throught the draft. I still think Ware to the Pats is the best option.

If we trade Romo and Ware I want to defer the first rounders we would get for them to next year and use the lower picks in the 2013 draft.


iF they were to trade both, Wouldn't you want one of them for this season or would are you banking on getting a top tier QB in 2014?


Yes. (in bold)

Also I if we traded Romo I would draft a qb this year too. However with 3 second rounders we could move into the first if need be or stay put and draft o line , d line and safety help with that many picks. Have 3 first rounders next season gives you the most leverage in the draft and you might could parlay some of those to first in future drafts kind of like the Pats do.
_________________
A circle. The direction the Cowboys continue to travel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WizardHawk


Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 9693
Location: Hawkeye State
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to come of as an arse, or claiming to be some cap guru, but with the cap situation how is it even cost effective to get rid of either?

Ware gets traded, Dallas eats nearly $12M. Romo, they eat another $5M.

Sure, Dallas saves down the road, but if what I've seen is true and Dallas is already $18M in the red, how does eating $17M make trading either feasible?
_________________

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5353
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Not trying to come of as an arse, or claiming to be some cap guru, but with the cap situation how is it even cost effective to get rid of either?

Ware gets traded, Dallas eats nearly $12M. Romo, they eat another $5M.

Sure, Dallas saves down the road, but if what I've seen is true and Dallas is already $18M in the red, how does eating $17M make trading either feasible?


Dallas doesn't eat 12mil for trading/cutting Ware:
If traded/cut, salary is not guaranteed,

All in millions unless noted.
2013-5.5l(Salary)+5.3(SignBonus)+1.4(Misc.Bonus)=12.2 Cap Number
2014- 1.3(SignBonus) 1.4(Misc.Bonus)
2015- 1.3(SignBonus) 1.4(Misc.Bonus)


Total Remaining SB = 7.9mil(5.3+1.3+1.3)
Total remaining Misc. Bonus= 4.2mil(1.4*3)
Combined remaining bonus= 12.1mil(7.9+4.2)


12.2 original cap number - 12.1 mil(total acc bonus) = 100k cap savings.

IMO, unless we are offered a multiple firsts and other picks, I say no. Also, for those of you who you spotrac.com for contracts, for individual players the last column is named 'cap hit'. It probably should be named 'cap number'. Cap hit to me, means hit if cut or traded.


Last edited by GeneralDissaray on Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WizardHawk


Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 9693
Location: Hawkeye State
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Not trying to come of as an arse, or claiming to be some cap guru, but with the cap situation how is it even cost effective to get rid of either?

Ware gets traded, Dallas eats nearly $12M. Romo, they eat another $5M.

Sure, Dallas saves down the road, but if what I've seen is true and Dallas is already $18M in the red, how does eating $17M make trading either feasible?


Dallas doesn't eat 12mil for trading/cutting Ware:
If traded/cut, salary is not guaranteed,

All in millions unless noted.
2013-5.5l(Salary)+5.3(SignBonus)+1.4(Misc.Bonus)=12.2 Cap Number
2014- 1.3(SignBonus) 1.4(Misc.Bonus)
2015- 1.3(SignBonus) 1.4(Misc.Bonus)


Total Remaining SB = 7.9mil(5.3+1.3+1.3)
Total remaining Misc. Bonus= 4.2mil(1.4*3)
Combined remaining bonus= 12.1mil(7.9+4.2)


12.2 original cap number - 12.1 mil(total acc bonus) = 100k cap savings.

IMO, unless we are offered a multiple firsts and other picks, I say no.


Right. Not thinking clear on that.

But, saving 100k if he's traded, basically makes Ware untradable, imo.
_________________

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 44666
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
You guys do realize that if we trade Romo we lose about $4m in cap space... right?


Is that because of his voidable years after 2013? If he stays with Dallas through 2013, those years could be voided, but if he's cut/traded does the bonus money from the voided years accelerate?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo/

His base salary in 2013 is 11.5mil. Here are the misc. non-signing bonus dollars in mil:
2013-5.728
2014-4.336
2015-3.273
2016-1.635

Total bonus money = 14.972 mil
2013 cap cost for Romo = 11.5 +5.728 = 17.228mil
If cut/traded, 17.228 current cap hit - all 4 bonus combined(14.972)
17.228 - 14.972 = 2.256 mil cap gain.

If I made a mistake, please explain it to me.


If he's cut or traded, we eat $14,972,333 and only save his $11.5m salary so we'd be paying $3.5m not to have him on our roster.
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20404
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
You guys do realize that if we trade Romo we lose about $4m in cap space... right?


Is that because of his voidable years after 2013? If he stays with Dallas through 2013, those years could be voided, but if he's cut/traded does the bonus money from the voided years accelerate?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo/

His base salary in 2013 is 11.5mil. Here are the misc. non-signing bonus dollars in mil:
2013-5.728
2014-4.336
2015-3.273
2016-1.635

Total bonus money = 14.972 mil
2013 cap cost for Romo = 11.5 +5.728 = 17.228mil
If cut/traded, 17.228 current cap hit - all 4 bonus combined(14.972)
17.228 - 14.972 = 2.256 mil cap gain.

If I made a mistake, please explain it to me.


If he's cut or traded, we eat $14,972,333 and only save his $11.5m salary so we'd be paying $3.5m not to have him on our roster.


That's not technically correct. The savings or loss is based on what his total cap charge would be for the season less the total accelerated onto the cap by cutting or trading him. In this case, if the numbers above are correct, Romo's total 2013 cap number is $17.228M and his remaining bonus money is $14.972M, so releasing him saves $2.256M against the cap.

The reason it's calculated that way is because the 2013 signing bonus money is already accounted for in his 2013 number, so subtracting out the total remaining bonus money is evening both sides of the accounting ledger to ensure that zero contractual dollars remain.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaddHatter


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 44666
Location: ROH Class of 14
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha - thanks for clarifying
_________________


Sig courtesy of mack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5353
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
You guys do realize that if we trade Romo we lose about $4m in cap space... right?


Is that because of his voidable years after 2013? If he stays with Dallas through 2013, those years could be voided, but if he's cut/traded does the bonus money from the voided years accelerate?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo/

His base salary in 2013 is 11.5mil. Here are the misc. non-signing bonus dollars in mil:
2013-5.728
2014-4.336
2015-3.273
2016-1.635

Total bonus money = 14.972 mil
2013 cap cost for Romo = 11.5 +5.728 = 17.228mil
If cut/traded, 17.228 current cap hit - all 4 bonus combined(14.972)
17.228 - 14.972 = 2.256 mil cap gain.

If I made a mistake, please explain it to me.


If he's cut or traded, we eat $14,972,333 and only save his $11.5m salary so we'd be paying $3.5m not to have him on our roster.


That's not technically correct. The savings or loss is based on what his total cap charge would be for the season less the total accelerated onto the cap by cutting or trading him. In this case, if the numbers above are correct, Romo's total 2013 cap number is $17.228M and his remaining bonus money is $14.972M, so releasing him saves $2.256M against the cap.

The reason it's calculated that way is because the 2013 signing bonus money is already accounted for in his 2013 number, so subtracting out the total remaining bonus money is evening both sides of the accounting ledger to ensure that zero contractual dollars remain.


You mean I was actually right for once? I'm used to missing some small thing, and looking like an idiot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 37268
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others mentioned, I dont think Ware is trad-able from a financial stand point.

I dont think Romo is trad-able from a necessity stand point, but if we were to trade him, it would have to be for a 1st and 2nd - minimum.

I think the best chances are from a new coach, or one on the hotseat:

Jags
Cheifs
Cards
Jets
Bills
Browns
Titans
Bucs

Could all be teams that would make a play. Some are less likely than other, obviously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20404
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Gotcha - thanks for clarifying


No problem at all. The math always appears weird because it winds up looking like the guaranteed money is either being paid for twice or being removed twice until you see it on a balance sheet.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 20404
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
As others mentioned, I dont think Ware is trad-able from a financial stand point.

I dont think Romo is trad-able from a necessity stand point, but if we were to trade him, it would have to be for a 1st and 2nd - minimum.


Agreed. Trading Ware would be difficult and the only way to justify the salary cap cost of trading Romo (i.e., paying "x" in dead money for nothing) would be if we received a boatload of high round draft picks as compensation.

Quote:
I think the best chances are from a new coach, or one on the hotseat:

Jags
Cheifs
Cards
Jets
Bills
Browns
Titans
Bucs

Could all be teams that would make a play. Some are less likely than other, obviously.


Of those teams, the only ones whom I can see that would have genuine interest would be the Jags, Jets, and Cards. And even the Jets are a toss-up due to the potential economic impact of Sanchez' extension. I still can't figure out why the Jets gave him that deal. The guy is a REALLY bad QB.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GeneralDissaray


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 5353
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
As others mentioned, I dont think Ware is trad-able from a financial stand point.

I dont think Romo is trad-able from a necessity stand point, but if we were to trade him, it would have to be for a 1st and 2nd - minimum.


Agreed. Trading Ware would be difficult and the only way to justify the salary cap cost of trading Romo (i.e., paying "x" in dead money for nothing) would be if we received a boatload of high round draft picks as compensation.

Quote:
I think the best chances are from a new coach, or one on the hotseat:

Jags
Cheifs
Cards
Jets
Bills
Browns
Titans
Bucs

Could all be teams that would make a play. Some are less likely than other, obviously.


Of those teams, the only ones whom I can see that would have genuine interest would be the Jags, Jets, and Cards. And even the Jets are a toss-up due to the potential economic impact of Sanchez' extension. I still can't figure out why the Jets gave him that deal. The guy is a REALLY bad QB.


While I think a lot of the players question Romo's ability to come through in season ending games, I'm sure the 30+ crowd(Ware, Ratliff, Hatcher, Witten) does not want to waste the final years of their career developing a rookie. IMO, if we trade Romo, we might as well trade Ware, and I want Ware to retire a Cowboy. Don't see a point in trading Romo, if Garrett is still here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group