Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hypothetically - Trade Partners for Romo and Ware
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Hypothetically - Trade Partners for Romo and Ware Reply with quote

We've had a bit scattered discussion on this topic. Anyway, what teams make the most sense in trading for Romo or Ware?

Romo:
NY Jets, IMO, make the most sense. They desperately need a QB and still consider themselves to be legitimate playoff contenders.

Arizona Cardinals could be players, but it depends on who they hire as the head coach. They could very well decide to take a QB in this year's draft.

Minnesota Vikings could be in the market for a QB, especially if Ponder is out for longer than expected. Even if he's back, the Vikings appear to be near the brink of being legitimate SB contenders and getting a QB like Romo could help put them over the top.

If the Houston Texans don't make it to the Super Bowl, I could see them looking to upgrade on Schaub. Romo would be a great fit in Houston's playaction-oriented passing game.

Ware

New England - They use a hybrid defence and still are looking for a top-flight pass rusher. One would have to think Belichick would love to acquire Ware and utilize in all sorts of ways in his hybrid defence.

Houston - They need a pass-rushing OLB to make the defence much more balanced. Ware also had very good success under Wade Phillips' scheme, making the transition seamless.

Pittsburgh - Harrison may not be back and the Steelers could use a top-notch OLB. However, the Steelers tend to prefer using the draft and FA to make moves as oppose to giving up assets to acquire players.

New York - As much as they need a starting QB, they also need a stud defensive player, especially at OLB.

Buffalo - First Mario Williams, now Demarcus Ware. Could be a devastating duo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hypothetically - Trade Partners for Romo and Ware Reply with quote

TheStarStillShines wrote:
We've had a bit scattered discussion on this topic. Anyway, what teams make the most sense in trading for Romo or Ware?

Romo:
NY Jets, IMO, make the most sense. They desperately need a QB and still consider themselves to be legitimate playoff contenders.

Arizona Cardinals could be players, but it depends on who they hire as the head coach. They could very well decide to take a QB in this year's draft.

Minnesota Vikings could be in the market for a QB, especially if Ponder is out for longer than expected. Even if he's back, the Vikings appear to be near the brink of being legitimate SB contenders and getting a QB like Romo could help put them over the top.

If the Houston Texans don't make it to the Super Bowl, I could see them looking to upgrade on Schaub. Romo would be a great fit in Houston's playaction-oriented passing game.Ware

New England - They use a hybrid defence and still are looking for a top-flight pass rusher. One would have to think Belichick would love to acquire Ware and utilize in all sorts of ways in his hybrid defence.

Houston - They need a pass-rushing OLB to make the defence much more balanced. Ware also had very good success under Wade Phillips' scheme, making the transition seamless.

Pittsburgh - Harrison may not be back and the Steelers could use a top-notch OLB. However, the Steelers tend to prefer using the draft and FA to make moves as oppose to giving up assets to acquire players.

New York - As much as they need a starting QB, they also need a stud defensive player, especially at OLB.

Did you not see that Houston signed Schaub to an extension before the season? 4 yr for 62 million

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hypothetically - Trade Partners for Romo and Ware Reply with quote

Romo:

Minnesota Vikings could be in the market for a QB, especially if Ponder is out for longer than expected. Even if he's back, the Vikings appear to be near the brink of being legitimate SB contenders and getting a QB like Romo could help put them over the top

If the Houston Texans don't make it to the Super Bowl, I could see them looking to upgrade on Schaub. Romo would be a great fit in Houston's playaction-oriented passing game.

Ware

TSSS, you don't consider Romo an Elite QB, he is 32 years old, yet you think a team will give us a1st rd pick, But it is Hypothetically , soooo, of those 4 , I'd say the Jets, Rex was on ESPN yesterday saying he wants an offense similar to his defense, an aggressive offense. Roo would be a good fit , they would need to add a good WR ( maybe Miles gets thrown in the deal.). I don't think the Vikings are ready to give up on Ponder but Romo would be a definite upgrade but once again, they need to upgrade their WR, a Healthy Harvin would help and they have nice TE in K Rudolph

Who knows what Ariz will do, they have wasted Fitzgerald's talents for 2 or 3 seasons, it's scary how good he could be if he had a solid QB like Romo.
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see Ware to Pitt at all. Too many olb types in this draft and like you said Star they build through the draft. I still think Ware to the Pats is the best option.

If we trade Romo and Ware I want to defer the first rounders we would get for them to next year and use the lower picks in the 2013 draft.

Last edited by Football Mensa on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
I can't see Ware to Pitt at all. Too many olb types in this draft and like you said Star they build throught the draft. I still think Ware to the Pats is the best option.

If we trade Romo and Ware I want to defer the first rounders we would get for them to next year and use the lower picks in the 2013 draft.

iF they were to trade both, Wouldn't you want one of them for this season or would are you banking on getting a top tier QB in 2014?
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
I can't see Ware to Pitt at all. Too many olb types in this draft and like you said Star they build throught the draft. I still think Ware to the Pats is the best option.

iF they were to trade both, Wouldn't you want one of them for this season or would are you banking on getting a top tier QB in 2014?

I'm not certain that there will be any top tier QBs in 2014. I know that a lot of people are on the Teddy Bridgewater bandwagon, but I'm not on it with them at this point.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:

I'm not certain that there will be any top tier QBs in 2014. I know that a lot of people are on the Teddy Bridgewater bandwagon, but I'm not on it with them at this point.

I doubt either one gets traded but I could see a scenario if they
are sucking next season and Ware is in beast mode, maybe a mid season trade to a contender
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys do realize that if we trade Romo we lose about $4m in cap space... right?

Sig courtesy of mack.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
You guys do realize that if we trade Romo we lose about $4m in cap space... right?

Don't worry MH, your man-crush isn't going to be traded. You need not worry about having to cry yourself to sleep anytime soon because your obsession is off the team. Jerry won't get rid of him because he makes too much money on him, regardless of how well or poorly he performs. Romo is a mealticket, and Jerry is going to ride that gravy train for as long as he can and milk him for every dime he's worth.

Northland wrote:
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Don't worry MH, your man-crush isn't going to be traded. You need not worry about having to cry yourself to sleep anytime soon because your obsession is off the team. Jerry won't get rid of him because he makes too much money on him, regardless of how well or poorly he performs. Romo is a mealticket, and Jerry is going to ride that gravy train for as long as he can and milk him for every dime he's worth.

I post a fact and you go troll? Sounds like SOP for you P9 - trying to join your boyfriend on the ban list?

Sig courtesy of mack.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's stick on topic shall we.

I think we should also discuss the Tag and Trade with Spencer.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckwild, thanks for reminding me about the extension that Schaub signed. Releasing or trading him would result in a big cap hit, so the Texans wouldn't be a great fit financially speaking.

While I don't think Romo is an elite QB, teams are still desperate for QBs that they will pay the price for even a second- or third-tier guy. We saw that in the trades involving Palmer, Kolb, etc. A team on the cusp of contending and thinking they need an upgrade at QB would likely give up at least a first-round pick for Romo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckwild, thanks for reminding me about the extension that Schaub signed. Releasing or trading him would result in a big cap hit, so the Texans wouldn't be a great fit financially speaking.

While I don't think Romo is an elite QB, teams are still desperate for QBs that they will pay the price for even a second- or third-tier guy. We saw that in the trades involving Palmer, Kolb, etc. A team on the cusp of contending and thinking they need an upgrade at QB would likely give up at least a first-round pick for Romo.

Yeah, I know, I was just yanking your chain with the Elite QB comments Smile
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

I post a fact and you go troll? Sounds like SOP for you P9 - trying to join your boyfriend on the ban list?

I, too, posted facts. What's your point? Romo isn't going anywhere and we all know it.

Northland wrote:
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Is that because of his voidable years after 2013? If he stays with Dallas through 2013, those years could be voided, but if he's cut/traded does the bonus money from the voided years accelerate?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo/

His base salary in 2013 is 11.5mil. Here are the misc. non-signing bonus dollars in mil:
2013-5.728
2014-4.336
2015-3.273
2016-1.635

Total bonus money = 14.972 mil
2013 cap cost for Romo = 11.5 +5.728 = 17.228mil
If cut/traded, 17.228 current cap hit - all 4 bonus combined(14.972)
17.228 - 14.972 = 2.256 mil cap gain.

If I made a mistake, please explain it to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: