Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RG3 to undergo full knee reconstruction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rizzy


Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Posts: 548
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The torn ACL was diagnosed late Tuesday as a complete tear of the patella graft that was used to repair Griffin's torn ACL suffered at Baylor in 2009. A team source said Andrews likely will use a patella graft from Griffin's left knee to repair the most recent tear.
-from ESPN

So I was wondering since he tore the patella graft that they used the first time and not his actual ACL tendon is this as if it would be his first ACL surgery aka wouldn't taking longer like someone normally tearing their ACL twice?
_________________
College Football-Miami
NFL-Redskins
NBA-Wizards
NHL-Capitals


Last edited by rizzy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mike23md


Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 8039
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what it sounded like when I first heard the report about the graft.
_________________

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65456
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rizzy wrote:
Quote:
The torn ACL was diagnosed late Tuesday as a complete tear of the patella graft that was used to repair Griffin's torn ACL suffered at Baylor in 2009. A team source said Andrews likely will use a patella graft from Griffin's left knee to repair the most recent tear.
-from ESPN

So I was wondering since he tore the patella graft that they used the first time and not his actual ACL tendon is this as if it would be his first ACL surgery aka wouldn't taking longer than someone normally tearing their ACL twice?
I don't think that's correct. From what I heard and read doctors say there are two ways to correct an ACL tear:

1. use the Patella tendon
2. use a graft of I think Hamstring Fibers or something like that

From what I thought Andrews said, they didn't use his patella tendon the last time he had his ACL repaired. So, I think he plans to use the patella tendon to repair the ACL tear this time.

The reason the surgery is more risky than if someone just tore it once is that he already went through it once and his knee is not a "clean knee" as they said Adrian Peterson's was. Adrian had no prior major knee injuries, RG3 has though. Then, on top of that he has to have the LCL repaired as well, which adds time and more rehab to his recovery.

So, I don't think we will see him in September, and frankly, I'm not sure if I personally want to see him play till mid season and I want a heavy brace on that knee for at least this season. If we and Rg3 wants a long term career IMO he's going to have to take this slow, make sure he gets truly 100 % before playing and he's going to have to run smarter ala Russell Wilson who seems to never take big hits.

Rg3 must learn how to slide, he need Jim Zorn's slip and slide drill that he gave to Jason Campbell in 2008 and 2009! Laughing
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 4047
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about a brace for him--just limits his mobility, escapability. You gain something but lose something--anyway, won't be our call. I'm thinking like you-start the season on the PUP list and use that extra 6 weeks to heal.
I did read a quote today by Dr Andrews saying saying the two repairs
( LCL and ACL ) won't lengthen the recover period. Thy are both rehabbed simulanteously.
The LCL sometimes can be restitched. More severe injury requires a graft but it's never completely replaced like the ACL. Good description below..

http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Programs-and-Services/Orthopaedic-Center/Clinical-Programs/Sports-Medicine/Repairing-Torn-Lateral-Collateral-Ligaments.aspx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65456
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
I'm not sure about a brace for him--just limits his mobility, escapability. You gain something but lose something--anyway, won't be our call. I'm thinking like you-start the season on the PUP list and use that extra 6 weeks to heal.
I did read a quote today by Dr Andrews saying saying the two repairs
( LCL and ACL ) won't lengthen the recover period. Thy are both rehabbed simulanteously.
The LCL sometimes can be restitched. More severe injury requires a graft but it's never completely replaced like the ACL. Good description below..

http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Programs-and-Services/Orthopaedic-Center/Clinical-Programs/Sports-Medicine/Repairing-Torn-Lateral-Collateral-Ligaments.aspx
They had a doctor on ESPN that showed a modled knee. He showed where each ligament was on the knee. The ACL in the middle (most important), the mcl was on the side (second most important), the next was the LCL it was on the back corner.

That's good to hear that when rehabing the ACL he will be rehabbing the LCL simultaneously.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 4047
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the article quoting Dr Andrews re. the rehab of both repairs ..
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8827480/sources-robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-acl-lcl-surgery-ready-opener
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65456
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Here's the article quoting Dr Andrews re. the rehab of both repairs ..
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8827480/sources-robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-acl-lcl-surgery-ready-opener


aha! Here is what he is going to do:

Quote:
The torn ACL was diagnosed late Tuesday as a complete tear of the patella graft that was used to repair Griffin's torn ACL suffered at Baylor in 2009. A team source said Andrews likely will use a patella graft from Griffin's left knee to repair the most recent tear.


Quote:
The NFL Network reported that, after looking at the game file, coach Mike Shanahan believes Griffin suffered his knee injury on the play before the errant snap where his knee gave out as he tried to plant his leg. On that penultimate play, Griffin was sacked by Seahawks defensive end Bruce Irvin.

_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 4047
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
Here's the article quoting Dr Andrews re. the rehab of both repairs ..
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8827480/sources-robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-acl-lcl-surgery-ready-opener


aha! Here is what he is going to do:

Quote:
The torn ACL was diagnosed late Tuesday as a complete tear of the patella graft that was used to repair Griffin's torn ACL suffered at Baylor in 2009. A team source said Andrews likely will use a patella graft from Griffin's left knee to repair the most recent tear.


Quote:
The NFL Network reported that, after looking at the game file, coach Mike Shanahan believes Griffin suffered his knee injury on the play before the errant snap where his knee gave out as he tried to plant his leg. On that penultimate play, Griffin was sacked by Seahawks defensive end Bruce Irvin.


Yep, so TWO knee rehabs .. sheez!! Hard to believe you can yank a part from one knee to fix the other .. Seems that knee would be somewhat weakened.. , but guess it's standard procedure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65456
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
RSkinGM wrote:
Here's the article quoting Dr Andrews re. the rehab of both repairs ..
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8827480/sources-robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-acl-lcl-surgery-ready-opener


aha! Here is what he is going to do:

Quote:
The torn ACL was diagnosed late Tuesday as a complete tear of the patella graft that was used to repair Griffin's torn ACL suffered at Baylor in 2009. A team source said Andrews likely will use a patella graft from Griffin's left knee to repair the most recent tear.


Quote:
The NFL Network reported that, after looking at the game file, coach Mike Shanahan believes Griffin suffered his knee injury on the play before the errant snap where his knee gave out as he tried to plant his leg. On that penultimate play, Griffin was sacked by Seahawks defensive end Bruce Irvin.


Yep, so TWO knee rehabs .. sheez!! Hard to believe you can yank a part from one knee to fix the other .. Seems that knee would be somewhat weakened.. , but guess it's standard procedure.
It's definitely standard procedure. I guess the patella tendon isn't that important or something... Dont' know Shocked
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 4047
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, long surgery.. Like 7 a m to after noon.. Maybe 5 hours .. Also, so fast--I thought usually they waited a week-10 days for things to settle down, swelling to subside etc.. Guess RGIII is still on the fast track..
I know he has all of us pulling for him. He seems to be a great young guy and above the team itself .. I'm sure we all wish him a speedy and full recovery for his future well being..

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/32057/Robert-Griffin-III-s-surgery-completed/Default.aspx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65456
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Wow, long surgery.. Like 7 a m to after noon.. Maybe 5 hours .. Also, so fast--I thought usually they waited a week-10 days for things to settle down, swelling to subside etc.. Guess RGIII is still on the fast track..
I know he has all of us pulling for him. He seems to be a great young guy and above the team itself .. I'm sure we all wish him a speedy and full recovery for his future well being..

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/32057/Robert-Griffin-III-s-surgery-completed/Default.aspx
Don't worry, Shanahan will have him running the tripple option in no time! Laughing jk, jk people... (well, I hope not)
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 15348
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Here's the article quoting Dr Andrews re. the rehab of both repairs ..
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8827480/sources-robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-acl-lcl-surgery-ready-opener


From the link:

Quote:
The torn ACL was diagnosed late Tuesday as a complete tear of the patella graft that was used to repair Griffin's torn ACL suffered at Baylor in 2009. A team source said Andrews likely will use a patella graft from Griffin's left knee to repair the most recent tear.


So I was right to assume they did the patella graft the first time. Which is why they need to do it from the left knee now.

Which means that RG3 will not only have 1 knee that has had surgery on it, he'll have 2.

It also means that the next knee injury he gets will be a VERY long recovery time due to the way they will need to graft (since both patella tendons will have been used).

I'm with Turtle - we have nothing to prove. Let Cousins start the year and lets take this guy slowly. I'm ok seeing him in October/November as long as we take it slow. No rushing this guy back.
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RSkinGM


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 4047
Location: Richmond, Va
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a doctor in the house .. ?? What does "direct repair" mean exactly..Also , says he had a "re-do" of the ACL 2009 surgery .. a "re-do"..?? What does that mean ? a fix up , a complete do over .. aaarrgghh..

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/32064/RGII-expected-to-be-ready-for-2013-season--doctor-says/Default.aspx
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DCRED


Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 4008
Location: USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
did you read Shanahan and rg3's lips as Shanahan helped him off the field?

Shanahan said: "I should have taken you out sooner"

Rg3 said: "it's not your fault coach, it's not your fault."


Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 15348
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSkinGM wrote:
Is there a doctor in the house .. ?? What does "direct repair" mean exactly..Also , says he had a "re-do" of the ACL 2009 surgery .. a "re-do"..?? What does that mean ? a fix up , a complete do over .. aaarrgghh..

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/32064/RGII-expected-to-be-ready-for-2013-season--doctor-says/Default.aspx


Think of a ligament like a string of taffy. If you pull it, it will stay stretched and loose.

So if he's re-doing the knee, what this means is that he's removing the graft from both ends where its attached and placing a new one on.

In some surgeries where you don't do a complete re-do, the tear is near to one side and you can keep the same ligament but simply pull it slightly and attach it. Again, think of a 7 inch long taffy. Cut 1/2 off the end of the taffy. Now pull it slightly to make up that 1/2 inch. In fact, the ligament is better than taffy (just using taffy as a visual aid) in that if it tears near one of the anchor points, the resulting surgery will actually make the knee tighter (even as it causes more bruising,etc... due to the increase invasiveness on the knee and more metal to anchor the one point. The key is being able to stretch the ligament just enough to get to the anchor point without weakening it. Otherwise they have to do a complete replacement of the ligament.

Hopefully this makes sense to you. I know it does in my mind but I'm rushing right now and wanted to get this out to explain it somewhat.
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group