Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RG3 to undergo full knee reconstruction
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipperboy1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: RG3 to undergo full knee reconstruction Reply with quote

I'm thinking this deserves it's own thread.

Quote:
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Robert Griffin III will undergo a full knee reconstruction after Dr. James Andrews diagnosed Griffin with "complete" tears of both his right ACL and LCL.
Per Mort, Griffin's return timetable has been set at 6-8 months, the normal recovery period for an ACL reconstruction. Griffin will undergo surgery early Wednesday morning. At Baylor, Griffin did bounce back from 2009 ACL surgery to complete 67 percent of his passes with a 22:8 TD-to-INT ratio and eight rushing scores in 2010. "He should be ready for the 2013 regular season opener according to the sources that I spoke with," Mortensen stated on SportsCenter. Although Griffin's recovery will certainly be worth tracking all offseason, ACL surgeries don't bother us as much as they used to. Griffin's could even stand to make him a value pick in 2013 fantasy drafts.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/253779/rg3-will-undergo-full-reconstruction-of-knee

Not unexpected, but still bad news. Sad

Last edited by chipperboy1 on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:18 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
canucks9314

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: RG3 to undergo full knee reconstruction Reply with quote

chipperboy1 wrote:

Quote:
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Robert Griffin III will undergo a full knee reconstruction after Dr. James Andrews diagnosed Griffin with "complete" tears of both his right ACL and LCL.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/253779/rg3-will-undergo-full-reconstruction-of-knee

Oh man. this really sucks. Hope RG3 can bounce back like AP did.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: RG3 to undergo full knee reconstruction Reply with quote

canucks9314 wrote:
chipperboy1 wrote:

Quote:

Oh man. this really sucks. Hope RG3 can bounce back like AP did.

The only thing I'm okay with all this is the fact Griffin has shown he can throw the ball. The question becomes can be become like a Steve Young or is he gonna have to have his running ability to sustain him?

I'm hoping he doesn't.
A TRAIN 89

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more pressing issue:

Will we ever catch a break?
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TRAIN 89 wrote:
The more pressing issue:

I was thinking just that.
The answer must be No if everyones thinkin it.

Unless Tebow can save us.

Trinidad: Where you can play dodgeball, jump off a diving board, and call a team the Redskins without the Communist Left sayin otherwise.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will be ok guys. HOPEFULLY this teaches him a lesson. He needs to be more of a pocket passer anyway, his style of this season will get him IR'd every single year. He is not as fast or elusive as Mike Vick, and yet he still prances up field, standing straight up all the time.

He must become a pass first pocket passer if you guys want to win & he is going to have longevity. If this injury gets him to figure it out now, it is a blessing in disguise. Better one horrible offseason and then a bunch of normal ones due to smarter play than 4-5 crap ones before finally ending it all together.
3. Cordarelle Patterson
Past Successes: Dez Bryant, Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith
Future Successes: Sammy Watkins, Rueban Randle
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TRAIN 89 wrote:
The more pressing issue:

agree guys, and its not just the redskins. It seems like DC area sports. The wizards constantly have high picks but they never work out, whenever we get a #1 or 2 pick there aren't ever real game changing picks available like a Lebron James, we get the year before and Kwame Brown.

We get Stephen Strausburg and he tears a ligament in his arm and has tommy John surgery. Confused

Now RG3. Acl and LCL. 6-8 months to recover is being very optimistic from what actual doctors are saying. The LCL from what I've read is harder to repair and harder to rehab, this isn't your Acl-MCL rehab.

Also, this is the second time he tore his acl so that factors in as well as I put int the other thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that he already tore an acl & came back to the level he did speaks volumes. The acl is no big thing any more outside of recovery time.
3. Cordarelle Patterson
Past Successes: Dez Bryant, Alshon Jeffrey, Torrey Smith
Future Successes: Sammy Watkins, Rueban Randle
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
The fact that he already tore an acl & came back to the level he did speaks volumes. The acl is no big thing any more outside of recovery time.
doctor on ESPN said he could be back anywhere from week 1 to week 6. I think they should PUP him. They need to take this slow and get it right. (Unlike how theyve handled things in the past like with Malcolm Kelly) and save Griff from himself. Go that full 6 weeks into the season. He said more risk involved with a second knee reconstruction also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets just take it one step at a time. Most of his rehab relies on the strength of his muscles around the knee. In all honesty, they need to get the guy that rehabbed Adrian Peterson to work with Griffin.

Griffin needs to understand too, that he doesnt have to work miracles. We have a capable back up that can manage some games for us.

But just one step at a time. He is having surgery at this moment and should be done this afternoon. Lets just wait to see how it went and then monitor throughout the off season.

Smile

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
justing101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy moly, I feel bad for you guys.

Maybe he can make a comeback like AP did.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only magnifies the necessity for RGIII to take the next step in his development. He needs to become a competent pocket passer. The gimmick offense worked with a fully healthy QB. When teams began using Scrape Exchanges, the read option was less effective. The Shannaha's introduced more nuances to compensate.

The elite QBs make pre-snap reads, go through progressions, and deliver the football. For all the RGIII hype, he operated in a simplistic 2-3 read offense that put pressure on defenses with the ability of the QB to gain yards with his legs.

Hopefully rehab progresses and he gets back by next season at some point. The Cousins selection doesn't seem to draw criticism any longer. He's the stopgap solution.
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:

Right but here's the thing. Since he already had it once, did they use the patellar tendon/ligament to repair it the first time?

If so, they cannot go to that well again (can only do it once per knee on the patellar tendon/ligament). So what do they do? Open up the left knee to get one from there? Get a cadaver's ligament (not as beneficial but it is the last option)?

Additionally, the recovery time will actually be longer due to the fact that this is the 2nd time its been reconstructed.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:

Right but here's the thing. Since he already had it once, did they use the patellar tendon/ligament to repair it the first time?

If so, they cannot go to that well again (can only do it once per knee on the patellar tendon/ligament). So what do they do? Open up the left knee to get one from there? Get a cadaver's ligament (not as beneficial but it is the last option)?

Additionally, the recovery time will actually be longer due to the fact that this is the 2nd time its been reconstructed.
did you read Shanahan and rg3's lips as Shanahan helped him off the field?

Shanahan said: "I should have taken you out sooner"

Rg3 said: "it's not your fault coach, it's not your fault."

They reported on ESPN that DR James Andrews said they didn't use the patella tendon to repair the last time he tore it. They used a Graf or whatever they call it so the tendon is still there.

Like I said before, different case than Jenkins, AD, Kory L, Welker, Brady etc, etc. I think they need to PUP him in August and take this extremely slow, be very cautious with his knee. We don’t want them rushing him back like we did with Malcolm Kelly.

Also, make him wear that big bulky brace. Don’t let him get away with wearing the one that is a little else restrictive like he did the last month. I'll take a less mobile rg3 for a while so that he's healthy. We want his guy to have a 15 year career not a 7 year career like a running back.

Sad… rg3 is only 22 and this will be his second knee reconstruction of his right knee Sad

I hope Shanahan has learned a lesson here also to handle his players injuries better and to save them from themselves. He has to be more of a voice of reason looking out for his players long term health and ultimately the organizations long term health, not just one game or in this case 4 games of rg3's rookie season.

This year should have made it clear to everyone that the players make this league go. Look what rg3, Russell Wilson and Andrew luck did for their franchises in just their rookie years. The players have to be better taken care of by their coaches and team doctors. They are the NFL.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/rg3s-dad-gives-update-surgery

Rg3's dad gives an update in the surgery.

Quote:
USA Today Sports received a text message from Griffin III’s father who says the initial MRI showed no evidence of a tear to the ACL, the ligament he had repaired in 2009.

“Robert’s ACL is intact, but not enough for his profession,” Robert Griffin III said. “You and I could be fine. But he is an athlete. So they will replace.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: