Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Randy Starks or Paul Soliai
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dalunatic16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Randy Starks or Paul Soliai Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this for awhile now.

Starks is a free agent this year. Soliai's contract is up next year.
I assume Starks will ask for a contract similar to Soliai's 2yr/12mil or maybe even more.

Now we have the luxary of being able to slide Odrick into one of their spots. I think Mcdaniel can even produce in a staring role and he of course is a free agent as well but will be significantly cheaper.

My question is what do we do? Do we let Starks walk and resign Mcdaniel? Or resign Starks and Mcdaniel and let Soliai walk the next year? Keep Starks and Soliai and let Mcdaniel walk? Or retain all four?

The money we give to Starks and Soliai can get us a pass rusher like Micheal Johnson. Maybe even Justin Tuck or Jared Allen next offseason. Plus theres always the draft with its plethora of pass rushers this year and we can use that money to fill a bigger need.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them both but would prefer starks if we could somehow trade Soliai for good value maybe a 3rd or for a WR like Maclin from phily who is on the block or maybe soliai and a pick for wallace being casey hampton is 37 and a free agent that may be far fetched though. I just know I do not want Odrick playing DE
cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starks makes more plays but Soliai is more of the unsung hero who collapses the inside and lets the other d-linemen and LBers make plays. Starks is flashier but I'm going to flip flop my opinion and say that Soliai is more important to this defense.

Soliai is already under contract so unless Starks resigns for cheap I'd rather let him walk. We already have Odrick and we need to draft a true DE (rounds 1 - 2) of which there are a TON this year.
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Randy Starks or Paul Soliai Reply with quote

Dalunatic16 wrote:

The money we give to Starks and Soliai can get us a pass rusher like Micheal Johnson.

I think Starks and Johnson would pull in roughly the same amount on the market. I can see Johnson maybe getting 1-2M more because he's an athletic edge rusher who might still be improving.

I'd let Starks walk in a second to sign Michael Johnson. But I think they have a good thing going in Cincy now and MJ might prefer to stay there if the Bengals offer a fair price.
phins72

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep soliai only reason they are good in run d
Maddogg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topic was misleading.

It said Randy Starks or Paul Soliai.

I thought we were getting a choice of who we would want to sleep with, for me its Paul Soliai he just seems so warm and cuddly like a gigantic teddy bear.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 4, Tackles 6 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 4 : Death 17 Joe 14
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two good options that benefit us. If we sign Starks then Solia has trade value for a pick or to help gain another position of need. Solia is a huge reason for the run stuff we generate. With Odrick on our team I would keep Solia

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starks. He is more consistent and is more athletic. Also carries a smaller price tag

UniversalAuthor
Dalunatic16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Topic was misleading.

It said Randy Starks or Paul Soliai.

I thought we were getting a choice of who we would want to sleep with, for me its Paul Soliai he just seems so warm and cuddly like a gigantic teddy bear.

It's never too late to change the topic...

Also I didn't think about trading Soliai. That actually would be a pretty good idea. I mean if we could get a 2nd for Vontae, why cant we do the same with Soliai. Or even more. Maybe hold him till the trade deadline and have something to offer to teams that have a player that wants out and we need.

Like this year with the Dwayne Bowe trade deadline rumors. A situation like that.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an very easy question. Paul Solai. Paul Solai is virtually unmovable. We have pieces who can replace Starks. There is no one on the Fins roster to mimic what Solai brings to the table. I understand that Starks makes more plays in the backfield and even get sacks but give me Solai over Starks any day of the week. And that is coming from one Terp to another.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
This is an very easy question. Paul Solai. Paul Solai is virtually unmovable. We have pieces who can replace Starks. There is no one on the Fins roster to mimic what Solai brings to the table. I understand that Starks makes more plays in the backfield and even get sacks but give me Solai over Starks any day of the week. And that is coming from one Terp to another.

I'll agree with Ova on this one....while I would like to keep Randy Starks, I think Solai is more important to the defense....he occupies space and blockers and is the main reason the team was so successful against the run and why the LB's performed so well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without reading anything in this thread:

Give me Soliai. His skill set is unique and hard to find (he is a top 3-5 NT in the game. Every team basically has one, most teams have bad ones) I think Odrick is a better Starks. Starks is your typical skill set of guys like: Geno Atkins, Terrence Knighton, Jay Ratliff etc. etc.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
draconis1410

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely prefer to Keep Soliai. Starks can be somewhat replaced by Odricks. We can't replace Soliai with anyone on the roster. So that gives us the versatility to easily draft a more pass rushing DE.
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same thing just a few minutes ago. I've decided to switch back to a 3-4 in Madden just to do something different for a change. Don't need both guys now that you can't switch a DT to a DE

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
SUG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No brainer for me, STARKS !

* Way more versatile
* Every down player
* More playmaking abilities
* Covers a hell of a lot more of the field.

I would have selected Soliai had we stayed in a 3/4 but ... oh well "we are what we are".

I hate the 4/3
sug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: