Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars Name David Caldwell General Manager
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
I could see NE letting Sebastian Vollmer walk.

I also think that may be one of the rare cases where a quality player, who's old team wants and needs him back, could hit the market. The situation with the cap up there is a little messy and he may be a casualty.

He'd be a great fit, but I don't think they let him walk in the end.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
Bad meets Evil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosder Cherilus will be available too.

Credit to IPwn for da sig
corry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tackle could be the deepest position

Ryan Clady
Sabastion Vollmer
Jermon Bushrod
Gosder Cherilus
Jake Long
Branden Albert
Sam Baker
Andrea Smith

Some should resign, but at least four will probably hit the market.

Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
Caldwell following the footsteps of Mularkey putting his trust in Gabbert. Gabbert gets people fired. Whatever happen to him bringing in QB to compete for the job. You know what I get it now he wants Bridgewater.

Even if 'Gabbert gets people fired'...which isn't a whole truth(Gabbert's struggles are certainly part of the case that ended with Gene Smith getting turfed, but not the whole story)...Caldwell really isn't in a situation where Gabbert's success or failure next season will determine his future or 'get him fired'.

Caldwell will be given time to sift through what we have and find 'his guy' to build around at the QB position. If Caldwell goes out and drafts himself another 'top-10 pick' QB...THAT is the guy who will have the potential to get him fired if he busts. Which is precisely why i wouldn't touch Geno Smith if i were him.

It's basically a case of...don't hitch your wagon to the first horse that comes along. Hitch your wagon to the horse you believe can get you there.

And it's not like he's going to build a team custom-tailored for Gabbert and completely useless for any other QB in the future. He's going to put weapons in place that will help out any QB...and if Gabbert takes off, great. If not? So what...he can just shrug, pin the Gabbert fiasco on Gene Smith, and set about finding 'his guy' to drop into a great situation with a stronger team around them, giving them the best chance to succeed. As opposed to Gene Smith who dumped Gabbert into a disastrous situation where he didn't really have much chance to succeed.

iPwn wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
IM ALL IN FOR JOECKEL AND WARFORD

I don't want to spend #2 on a RT

Given the rookie cap, i dont see why it would be such a huge deal
Because getting a premium position player >>>> a non-premium position player. At #2, the value for premium is excessively higher than a non-premium positions. Getting an top tier pass rusher >> top tier RT, which can be found easier later in the draft than the premium positions.

Yeah. LTs are at a premium because they bring a very specific skillset that is rare. And the reason i wouldn't want a Offensive Tackle at #2, is that many of those rare skills are basically wasted on the RT spot, where they're a nice bonus, but not necessarily as essential, and there are other qualities that are desirable.

Basically, i think there will be guys available even into the 3rd round or later who can perform at least very close to as well at RT as a converted LT like Joeckel or Fisher. The reason these guys will go later, is because they're lacking some of the premium skills that sets an elite LT apart, so they don't have that ceiling. But as a RT, they have a very good skillset and might even offer bonus talents like being more of a mauler in the run game for example, which could make them outstanding 'bookends' alongside Monroe.

corry wrote:
Tackle could be the deepest position

Ryan Clady
Sabastion Vollmer
Jermon Bushrod
Gosder Cherilus
Jake Long
Branden Albert
Sam Baker
Andrea Smith

Some should resign, but at least four will probably hit the market.

The problem i see though, is that while some of these guys will probably hit the market...a lot of them are going to get HUGE contracts. LT money. Again, it comes back to paying a premium for skills that we probably won't get the most out of playing them at RT.

But if the deal is right, grabbing a RT via FA is certainly an option worth examining. I'm not really a big fan of dumping FA dollars into the O-Line for the most part, because of the red flags and big dollars typically attached to quality O-Linemen who hit FA. But in this situation, it might be worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad meets Evil wrote:
Gosder Cherilus will be available too.

I thought he was playing pretty bad?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the $$$$ though, if its about 5M I'd be fine with that personally

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: