Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFLPA to investigate Fed Ex Field safety issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: NFLPA to investigate Fed Ex Field safety issue Reply with quote

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000126765/demaurice-smith-fedex-field-raises-safety-issue/

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2013/01/14/nfl-demaurice-smith-robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-player-safety-nflpa/

Quote:
On the condition of the field in Washington and the importance of preventing situations like that in the future:

“After that, on occasion, we will take a look at the manner in which fields are certified. Every year what we are gonna do is simply ask for all of the certifications for all of the fields on the last week of regular-season play. But the way that our player leaders and the way that this union now looks at everything, we look at it as a workplace safety issue. In the same way that somebody who works at a department store or somebody who works at a coal mine considers that mine or that floor or that factory their workplace, the field on game day is the workplace where our players work. And if they are in a scenario where that workplace is not as safe as it could be, I can promise you that this union and this leader of players is gonna weigh in and we will take whatever steps we think are appropriate in order to ensure that the National Football League is expending the resources to keep the workplace as safe as possible.”

http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2013/01/08/daniel-snyder-fired-groundskeepers-for-crappy-fields-that-were-dangerous/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1017657/2/index.htm

Daniel Snyder fired groundskeepers in ’99 for ‘crappy fields’ that were dangerous

Quote:
"Snyder is getting his point across,” Peter King reported. “He began his reign by firing 26 employees--13 in stadium operations, 10 in team operations and three groundskeepers at Redskin Park. ‘The stadium had out-of-control costs,’ says Snyder, who claims that the fired stadium staff wasted about $800,000 in utility costs this year. ‘They were running the air-conditioning in the off-season needlessly in the suites and club seats. At Redskin Park the fields were in bad shape. There were three guys trying to kill the players with their crappy fields, so I brought in the head of the grounds crew at the stadium to oversee the fieldwork. Shame on me for trying to make the fields perfect.’”

Sorry, I just had to add this from the Peter king article:

Quote:
Snyder's management style is impulsive. When he heard talk in the front office that Patton, a favorite of Casserly's, was dogging it, he backed Turner's wish to cut him late in the preseason—even though Patton was the starting left tackle. When Atlanta Falcons All-Pro running back Jamal Anderson was holding out, Snyder had Turner call Falcons coach Dan Reeves to discuss a trade.

A source close to the Redskins says if Atlanta hadn't signed Anderson to a long-term extension in August, he believes Washington would have acquired Anderson for first-and third-round draft picks and Stephen Davis, who leads the league in touchdowns and the NFC in rushing.
meaning we wouldn't not have had Stephen Davis but we would have never been able to draft Chris Samuels. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFLPA to investigate Fed ex field and other grass fields in the league.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think its time to go to turf. It will make our players faster and provide a better playing surface for everyone. It is the safest route to go.

2014 FFMD Redskins Assistant to the General Manager
2014 NFL Mock Draft
REDSKINS WAR ROOM
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Honestly, I think its time to go to turf. It will make our players faster and provide a better playing surface for everyone. It is the safest route to go.
i agree. Especially since we have a much faster team than we had in years past and its only going to get faster.

I understood not wanting turf during the Gibbs years, but not now. Now we have more younger players and more speed
daboyle250

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:

Indeed. The grass looked awful in the last few games and it seems that either we go for a mixed turf/grass (like the Eagles) or all turf (like the Falcons)

DCRED wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'm still cleaning up the stains in my pants! Laughing
Ewwww.
worse thing is they've been there since Shanahan was fired
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im all against Turf.
Cant stand it. Not how the game was designed to be played.

Ag Sciences research dept at PSU says natural is still safer. Unless its all beat to hell I guess.

Its a joke. No more sloppy nasty mud fields that had me liking the game to begin with.
Young fans probably dont care. But it added tremendously to any game.

Like NASCAR turning every car into tanks and adding flaps and crap to get rid of wrecks. NFL wont be happy until they have tinkered enough to kill the original joy of the product.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you can't blame the coach, blame the field

I predict more cap penatlies for the Redskins Crying or Very sad
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:

I massively disagree about going turf:

Artifical Turf causes more ACL tears than Grass and when you have a guy like Griffin, who's already had that problem in the past (and present) you can't install a field that can give him a higher probability of re-injury.

Look at Jenkins against the Ravens. He blew out his knee on their crap turf (i've been on that field. it's horrible....obviously horrible in a different way than FedEX)

Honestly, what needs to happen with FedEx is Snyder needs to STOP holding concerts and college football games durring the NFL season. He needs to make sure the field is re-sodded or re-grown every year and it's in pristine conditions. Having Soccer exhibitions, Kenny Chesney concerts and College football games on the field is the problem.

If your staff can't keep a field in pretty good shape after you've created a situation where it's only used 10 weeks out of the year, they should be fired and you should bring in guys who can do it.

Heck, they should hire my neighbor. I don't know how the man does it, but his grass is thick and green year round. That's REALLY hard to do in the desert.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!
mike23md

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skinsfanLA wrote:
mike23md wrote:

Artifical Turf causes more ACL tears than Grass and when you have a guy like Griffin, who's already had that problem in the past (and present) you can't install a field that can give him a higher probability of re-injury.

Look at Jenkins against the Ravens. He blew out his knee on their crap turf (i've been on that field. it's horrible....obviously horrible in a different way than FedEX)

Honestly, what needs to happen with FedEx is Snyder needs to STOP holding concerts and college football games durring the NFL season. He needs to make sure the field is re-sodded or re-grown every year and it's in pristine conditions. Having Soccer exhibitions, Kenny Chesney concerts and College football games on the field is the problem.

If your staff can't keep a field in pretty good shape after you've created a situation where it's only used 10 weeks out of the year, they should be fired and you should bring in guys who can do it.

Heck, they should hire my neighbor. I don't know how the man does it, but his grass is thick and green year round. That's REALLY hard to do in the desert.

Good post.

Honestly, he needs to move from Fed Ex field back into DC. Leave Fed Ex for the concerts and other events. Have the new stadium strictly for the Redskins.

2014 NFL Mock Draft
REDSKINS WAR ROOM
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:
mike23md wrote:

Good post.

Honestly, he needs to move from Fed Ex field back into DC. Leave Fed Ex for the concerts and other events. Have the new stadium strictly for the Redskins.
Isn't the lease for 1 more decade with Fed Ex?

I wish he'd move back into DC right now also, but I don't see it happening till the lease for Fed ex is up in 2027.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2007/jan/12/20070112-125237-5424r/

Quote:
Washington Redskins officials yesterday insisted the team will continue to play at FedEx Field for at least the next 20 years and said they have had no discussions with the District of Columbia about a move back into the city.

Team general counsel Dave Donovan said the Redskins are legally bound to FedEx Field until 2027 because of agreement between the team, the state of Maryland and Prince George’s County, and said the team has expressed no interest in leaving the Landover facility at least until then.

Donovan said the team could explore relocating to the District after 2027, but he said discussions about such a move would be unlikely to occur for another 10 years, if at all.

Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances the league takes your cap space?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleedin_Green36 wrote:
what cap space? They already did that
Slateman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Bleedin_Green36 wrote:
what cap space? They already did that

They can always take more
skinsfanLA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
skinsfanLA wrote:
mike23md wrote:

Good post.

Thanks Mike!

I would love to see the Skins in a new stadium in DC. Even though I grew up in Annapolis and Landover is a really easy place to go to games for me, it'd be really nice to be back in DC. I would also love it if a new stadium was built with sound in mind. There was talk of maybe adding a retractible dome for a Super Bowl at one point because Snyder wants the bowl in DC.

The biggest issue with FedEx is that they hurried construction so the stadium would be built by the time Cooke died so they skipped steps and got the stadium up as fast as possible. It was his legacy "Jack Kent Cooke Stadium" was the name until Snyder sold naming rights. I think Cooke also wanted to make sure the Stadium was a part of the deal when the Skins were sold so his kids could get more cash. "We have a new stadium" and all that jazz.

To me, acoustics are the worst part about FedEx, second worst is how far away you are from the action even if you are sitting in the first row. I remember RFK (Yes, I'm almost as old as Thai Wink ) and the sound there was deafening and that was with HALF the people FedEx holds.

I love the idea of using FedEx for all the crap concerts and exhibitions and bowls, and having the skins play in a new stadium in DC. We'll see what happens. Politicians in DC are really talking up a move back, so hopefully they can get something done.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Ahhhh the old "unnamed source". It's been way too long, my very credible friend!
mike23md

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if the district is able to pony up some dough for it, I could see Snyder entertaining the idea. Especially if we are having more winning seasons than losing ones.

And if you look at the design of RFK, the roof was supposed to do what the roof in Seattle does, bounce the sound back to the field. But the circular design was nor quite the right configuration.

If we have a half dome, with slight retraction, we could bring a Superbowl to DC and still have the sound factor with having the closeness to the field. Limit seating to about 70k.

I remember the feeling of really being able to connect with the players from RFK, where at Fed Ex, I feel like I am going to a Sea World show.

@turtle, I am not sure on the lease. I figured the team owned it, and Snyder mentioned about a year ago that he spent a lot of money to upgrade the stadium on the inside and make it a more enjoyable fan experience. Which is what he calls "prcatically a brand new stadium with the upgrades that were done".

Well apparently, those upgrades included nothing about the field.

The Redskins need their own stadium. Just like the Nats. Just like the UNited, just like the Caps, just like the Orioles, just like the Ravens.

Of all the teams that have actually one something, the Redskins are the only ones that have to share their time with other events at their stadium.

2014 NFL Mock Draft
REDSKINS WAR ROOM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: