Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Cap room
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we need to resign quin for sure, but not at a 30 million number

i think 4-5 million per season in value would be fair for him

Walter will be cut before he gets anymore money from the Houston Texans, and we will be keeping Antonio Smith on the roster, but we might do some restructuring or extending to lower his cap number

I would be very surprised if Wade SMith is not on our roster come opening day. I expect our offensive line to stay exactly the same for next season

Brown-Smith-Myers-Jones-Newton with Brooks and another tackle getting some PT time as well. We really are set up well at the guard position, we just invested a 3rd and 4th on guards.

My guess is that Barwin is shown the door. His poor play really was a good thing for the texans. He either has to come back cheap or we can let him walk without facing much heat from the fans. Mercilus wasnt drafted in round 1 to be a 10 play a game kinda guy, i think they looked ahead and saw the Barwin thing as an issue and went out and got a replacement (one that doubled him in sacks i might add)

another key thing to remember in this debate is that some posters are writing about what THEY would do, and others are writing about what they THINK will really happen, so before we get defensive and offensive with each other, lets keep that in mind Very Happy
kenney

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand our cap at all anymore. I'm confident that we have over $10MM available, but everyone is saying half of that has to be allocated to signing draft picks. Since when? It's been the practice for as long as I can remember paying attention to NFL cap room that the league has a pool that all teams pay into so that they can sign their draft picks even when they're up against the cap.

What am I not understanding?
longhorntexan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
I'm not sure I understand our cap at all anymore. I'm confident that we have over $10MM available, but everyone is saying half of that has to be allocated to signing draft picks. Since when? It's been the practice for as long as I can remember paying attention to NFL cap room that the league has a pool that all teams pay into so that they can sign their draft picks even when they're up against the cap.

What am I not understanding?

I haven't been following this thread all that closely but last I checked The Texans are in good standings in regards to cap space. No idea how much and who'd have to leave and who can come, just that the general notion was that we were solid due to the purging of last offseason.

In recent days I've read about teams grossly over the cap and I'd really like to give props to the Texans front office for preemptively dealing with the issue instead of waiting until it rears its ugly head in the full.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw somewhere yesterday (maybe PFT) that the cap might be a little higher than expected. Please NFL just release the number so we all know where our respective teams stand!

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
48 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/19/4006302/2013-nfl-salary-cap-going-up

Even if it's only 122 mil that's still an increase of more than a million and every little bit counts

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/19/4006302/2013-nfl-salary-cap-going-up

Even if it's only 122 mil that's still an increase of more than a million and every little bit counts

A few takeaways here:
1) The Texans are amongst the teams in the BEST salary cap situation amongst contenders alongside Seattle, Denver, Minnesota, New England, Chicago, Cinn, and Indy. Baltimore has space, but Flacco will eat all off it and more.

2) Stop freaking out about us only having $4 million, that puts us right in the middle of the pack (16th). We are exactly where we are supposed to be as we have plenty of flexibility on contracts like Walter's that cutting instantly free up space with no cap hit, plus several restructure candidates like Antonio. Our free agents are all second tier variety with replacements on the roster presenting decent fall-backs aside from Quin who hits his FA year with a glut of better players ahead of him at his position. Also note the $12 million in "other bonus" which generally means a significant portion would go away if they weren't on the roster.

3) Don't forget that this is the year that "the floor" comes into play with the cheapskates like Cinn, Cleve, and Tampa being forced to spend within 89% of the cap. Expect some interesting new dimensions of reverse cap deals intentionally eating up cap space. It's actually a good time to be a 31-35 year old willing to work on a 1 year deal.

4) Take note of the Texans having amongst the 4 lowest totals of dead space with only $73k being paid to players not on our roster (a far cry from the days of terrible cap decisions like picking up David Carr's option or resigning Kris Brown a year early to a 4 year/$10 million deal only to cut him the next year - when his deal would have been up). I'm telling you, the work that Rick Smith did LAST offseason was amazing. If you think about it, the mere fact that we are just talking about 3 important players out of a roster of 53 in an era of 4 year contracts is amazing retention. Typically we would be looking at making decisions on 13 or more players, especially since the total roster including IR/and practice squad pushes to 75 and we'll open camp with 90.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
4) Take note of the Texans having amongst the 4 lowest totals of dead space with only $73k being paid to players not on our roster (a far cry from the days of terrible cap decisions like picking up David Carr's option or resigning Kris Brown a year early to a 4 year/$10 million deal only to cut him the next year - when his deal would have been up). I'm telling you, the work that Rick Smith did LAST offseason was amazing. If you think about it, the mere fact that we are just talking about 3 important players out of a roster of 53 in an era of 4 year contracts is amazing retention. Typically we would be looking at making decisions on 13 or more players, especially since the total roster including IR/and practice squad pushes to 75 and we'll open camp with 90.

AMEN! Also IMHO if Cushing is back there and Schuab makes 2 less mistakes... we are in the SB (not sure we would have beat SF, but I think we could have been in the game) NJ or BUST 2014!
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are really close to something special here and the worst case for the off season sees us losing 2 out of our 3 important FAs in Barwin, Quin and Casey

Good news for us is that Barwin had a horrible statically year, and James Casey is a FB and shouldnt require too much money

Quin on the other hand had a better year than most people realize

a LOT of the time when we got beat deep it was the safties fault, but most of the time it was whoever our 3rd saftey was. Quin put up some good numbers this season

Lead our team in tackles with 84 (5 for a loss)
1 sack
2 Ints
14 PDs

compare that to the pro bowlers and he isnt far off, and in fact he is right there with them

Ed Reed - 58 tackles(1 for loss) 0 sacks, 4 ints, 16 PDs
Eric Berry = 86 tackles (10 for loss) 0 sacks 1int, 10PDs
Laron Landry - 99 tackles (3 for loss) 0 sacks 2 ints 8PDs
Dashon Goldson - 69 tackles (1 for loss) 0 sacks 3ints 11PDs
Donte Whitner - 83 tackles (1 for loss) 0 sacks 1int 5PDs
Earl Thomas - 66 tackles (3 for loss) 0 sacks 3 ints 9PDs

He just turned 27 and has been on a rookie salary for his entire career. he knows this is his one chance to set himself up with a big payday, so he likely signs somewhere for 4-5 years and at the very least 5 million per season but more likely something like a 5 year 25-30 million with 10 million signing bonus, and i say we pay the man the money. this is why you develop young guys. If we lose him then we have 2 holes at saftey because we despreretly need 3 good safeties to compete with teams like the Patriots and Broncos

If we resign all of these 3 guys we are going to be better than the 12-4 division champs team from last year. We will see growth on the right side of the O-Line. We will be adding some peices through the draft. We will be getting back Cushing, and we can stop the whole will he be 100% because a cushing at 80% is better than what we got to the 2nd round of the playoffs with

add up all those and i dont see very many guys who will gets worse. possibly Wade smith starts to decline and there is no way that JJ Watt has another year as big as this one, same thing for Andre, but i doubt we see digression from anyone.

the only thing that scares me a little is Andrew Luck and i think the Colts will get worse before they get better. They wont have Freeny anymore, thank the lord, plus Reggie Wayne is at that age where he wont have another year like 2012, in fact 2012 was amazing for him. Andrew Luck might not be the next coming of peyton manning, but the first coming of Andrew Luck and thats a scary thing to think about

all in all we should win 2-3 more division titles before retooling our team around different people

we have this window we are in that Kubiak knew about when he requested a 3 year contract instead of a 4 year. He either plans to retire or is expecting a super bowl and big pay raise
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

we are really close to something special here and the worst case for the off season sees us losing 2 out of our 3 important FAs in Barwin, Quin and Casey

Good news for us is that Barwin had a horrible statically year, and James Casey is a FB and shouldnt require too much money

I forget where I read it (or heard it), but resigning Casey ought to be conditional upon Kubiak demonstrating that he is going to incorporate packages to utilize Casey's unique skillset as a FB/TE hybrid. Doesn't quite need to be "Tebow-package-esque", but I have been very underwhelmed with the lack of creativity it utilizing Casey in the passing game out of the FB spot. As we remember from the debate on whether to keep Vonte Leach, the Texans only have a traditional FB on the field for 33% of snaps. Heck, Leach only played 42% of snaps for the more traditional Ravens for all the hype he gets. Casey played 54% of snaps for us last year, but I'd be willing to bet a significant % of those snaps were him lined up as a traditional TE2. As a pure FB, Casey strikes me as nothing more than average and an average FB will cost you at most a late round pick or $800k vet like we had with Vickers.

I suspect Casey is going to be quite a bit more expensive considering Dreessen got $8.5 million from the Broncos which is likely a starting point since Casey's agent will justify him as at least a quality #2 TE if not pushing for #1 and I doubt anyone else would try to get him for FB money. Remember, Casey is pretty old for a 2nd contract turning 29 when the season starts, so I'd not count on a ton of upside outside of increased utility Kubiak has been unwilling to do the past 2 seasons (G. Graham was on the field as much as TE as Casey's combined FB/TE total last year). I suspect Casey will end up getting more elsewhere and I'm betting make us regret having not used him more. If we weren't willing to pay Leach $11 million, you'll have a tough time justifying much for a guy that is clearly inferior to Leach as a FB and probably inferior to Graham/Dreessen as a TE.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Quote:

I forget where I read it (or heard it), but resigning Casey ought to be conditional upon Kubiak demonstrating that he is going to incorporate packages to utilize Casey's unique skillset as a FB/TE hybrid. Doesn't quite need to be "Tebow-package-esque", but I have been very underwhelmed with the lack of creativity it utilizing Casey in the passing game out of the FB spot. As we remember from the debate on whether to keep Vonte Leach, the Texans only have a traditional FB on the field for 33% of snaps. Heck, Leach only played 42% of snaps for the more traditional Ravens for all the hype he gets. Casey played 54% of snaps for us last year, but I'd be willing to bet a significant % of those snaps were him lined up as a traditional TE2. As a pure FB, Casey strikes me as nothing more than average and an average FB will cost you at most a late round pick or $800k vet like we had with Vickers.

I suspect Casey is going to be quite a bit more expensive considering Dreessen got $8.5 million from the Broncos which is likely a starting point since Casey's agent will justify him as at least a quality #2 TE if not pushing for #1 and I doubt anyone else would try to get him for FB money. Remember, Casey is pretty old for a 2nd contract turning 29 when the season starts, so I'd not count on a ton of upside outside of increased utility Kubiak has been unwilling to do the past 2 seasons (G. Graham was on the field as much as TE as Casey's combined FB/TE total last year). I suspect Casey will end up getting more elsewhere and I'm betting make us regret having not used him more. If we weren't willing to pay Leach $11 million, you'll have a tough time justifying much for a guy that is clearly inferior to Leach as a FB and probably inferior to Graham/Dreessen as a TE.

i would give him 2.5 million a year and no more
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Quote:

Also, Tyler Clutts hung around on the roster all season after we traded for him last preseason. He seems to be a more traditional style FB and I'm sure there's a plan for him. That being said, I think Casey is more valuable to us than he would be to most other teams. If we let him walk I think FB and TE both become needs to fill. Our 3 TE sets were some of the most effective snaps this year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 - 2014 cap: $124M (well, $123.9M)

per Chris Mortenson

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/307276900395524096
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:

per Chris Mortenson

That would be great

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the cap supposedly set at 123.9 mil plus our 2.4 carry over, how much cap room does that give us?

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:

per Chris Mortenson

What was the salary cap last season, and how much of an increase is this? This stagnant salary cap the last couple seasons sucks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: