Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Cap room
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsorc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was curious and decided to create a spreadsheet of everybody under contract for next year. I primarily went off of spotrac but there are a couple errors there, namely they prorate bonuses that should not be prorated. I've noted where my numbers are different from spotrac. Cutting Owen Daniels frees up more than I thought at 3.25 mill.

If the cap is at 120mill we don't have much room to spend as by my count we're already at 109mill with 47 players under contract. (Only top 51 count towards cap). We're probably out of the market for a Bowe or Welker but we should definitely be in the market for the Larry Grant's of the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so just for the sake of argument, its not really an option to get rid of Schuab?
dsorc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, if we were to cut Schaub it would put us over the cap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter if we trade him? or do we still get the cap hit
dsorc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trading him would actually be not as bad on the cap. His salary this year is guaranteed and if we cut him we take a cap hit for that salary. However, if traded, the new team would pick up the guaranteed salary. Even then, it would cost us salary space to trade Schaub.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
So I was curious and decided to create a spreadsheet of everybody under contract for next year. I primarily went off of spotrac but there are a couple errors there, namely they prorate bonuses that should not be prorated. I've noted where my numbers are different from spotrac. Cutting Owen Daniels frees up more than I thought at 3.25 mill.

If the cap is at 120mill we don't have much room to spend as by my count we're already at 109mill with 47 players under contract. (Only top 51 count towards cap). We're probably out of the market for a Bowe or Welker but we should definitely be in the market for the Larry Grant's of the world.

I got my numbers from spotrac also that I have in the 53 man thread. Mind if I update my numbers with yours?

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
48 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
dsorc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
dsorc wrote:

I got my numbers from spotrac also that I have in the 53 man thread. Mind if I update my numbers with yours?

Go for it. Also, if you think there is something off let me know and I'll update the spreadsheet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
dsorc wrote:

Go for it. Also, if you think there is something off let me know and I'll update the spreadsheet.

Will do, aside from the actual football, I love the numbers side of it!

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:

Chiefs fan here...I use spotrac.com alot. I was wondering what you meant about they incorrectly prorate the signing bonuses? Are you talking about a specific contract where the Texans did not prorate the signing bonus money but included it in one year to prevent money prorated over several future years?

I was thinking most teams do that to spread out the signing bonus cost up to 5 years (IIRC that is the limit in the new CBA).

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
dsorc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
dsorc wrote:

Chiefs fan here...I use spotrac.com alot. I was wondering what you meant about they incorrectly prorate the signing bonuses? Are you talking about a specific contract where the Texans did not prorate the signing bonus money but included it in one year to prevent money prorated over several future years?

I was thinking most teams do that to spread out the signing bonus cost up to 5 years (IIRC that is the limit in the new CBA).

Signing bonuses are prorated. However, not all bonuses are signing bonuses. Most roster bonuses, as long as they're not guaranteed, only count for the season they are given. Spotrac has a tendency to prorate all roster and option bonuses when in reality they should only apply to one year. An important example for the Texans is Kevin Walter. His contract was signed during the uncapped year and instead of a signing bonus he was given a non-guaranteed roster bonus. That bonus should have only been applied to the cap that year making him have no dead money if cut later. At least that is my understanding of his contract.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as detailed of a breakdown, but pretty interesting view of the cap.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/interactive/2013/jan/30/nfl-salaries-team-position#houston-texans,houston-texans

ADOPT-A-TEXAN: CJ "Polish Hat" Fiedorowicz
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

So do we have 2.4 mil more than we think since we carried it over from last year?

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8822266/nfl-mailbag-carryover-rules-impact-cap-strategy

So do we have 2.4 mil more than we think since we carried it over from last year?

According to that link we've got 12.9 mil. in cap space which is very similar to what I read on other sites as well.

You've got to feel bad for Arizona though they've got almost no cap room and they suck.
kenney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to re-sign Barwin and Quin. We also need to cut Kevin Walter and SERIOUSLY considering cutting Owen Daniels and Antonio Smith. We have to address at least a couple of needs through free agency if we want to have a decent shot at helping ourselves in the draft.

Some free agent options:
DT Alan Branch (SEA)
DT Mike DeVito (NYJ)
DT Sedrick Ellis (NOS)
DT Sammie Hill (DET)
DT Ricky Jean-Francois (SFF)
DT Arthur Jones (BAL)
DT Terrance Knighton (JAC)
DT Vaughn Martin (SDC)
DT Fili Moala (IND)

DE Israel Idonije (CHI)
DE Henry Melton (CHI)

ILB Jasper Brinkley (MIN)
ILB Dannell Ellerbe (BAL)
ILB Rey Maualuga (CIN)

OLB Paul Kruger (BAL)
OLB Stevenson Sylvester (PIT)

FS Louis Delmas (DET)
SS Jim Leonhard (DEN)
CB Sterling Moore (DAL)
CB Sean Smith (MIA)
CB Marcus Trufant (SEA)

OT Branden Albert (KCC)
OT Eben Britton (JAC)
OT Jake Long (MIA)
OT Sebastian Vollmer (NEP)

WR Ramses Barden (NYG)
WR Dwayne Bowe (KCC)
WR Ted Ginn, Jr. (SFF)
WR Brian Hartline (MIA)
WR Greg Jennings (GBP)

I think Houston should pull out all the stops to pursue Vollmer for the RT spot. If we have any money left over after that, we should look at bringing Sean Smith, Ramses Barden, and Henry Melton.
dsorc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
We need to re-sign Barwin and Quin. We also need to cut Kevin Walter and SERIOUSLY considering cutting Owen Daniels and Antonio Smith. We have to address at least a couple of needs through free agency if we want to have a decent shot at helping ourselves in the draft.

I think Houston should pull out all the stops to pursue Vollmer for the RT spot. If we have any money left over after that, we should look at bringing Sean Smith, Ramses Barden, and Henry Melton.

And where are we going to get the money for making all those signings? Barwin will be expensive as you only need 1 team to think he can replicate the 11-sack season. Vollmer and Melton are both top-line free agents. At most, we might have the money to sign one of those 3. We need to temper expectations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: