Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Cap room
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KW will not try less hard because he's asked to take a pay cut. At this point, he's playing for his NFL career and he knows he's not going to get 3.5-4.5 mil from us or any other team.

I think we keep him, or at least that we should keep him, at a reasonable price. Despite whatever "promise" Posey and Martin showed, the fact remains that they averaged 4.1 yards per target between the two of them, which is absolutely horrific. For all the complaints about Lestar Jean, he put up almost the same production as Posey and Martin combined on 28% of the targets. I have no idea how much this has to do with scheme, but production from this group must improve next season, as Andre and OD can't be relied on next year to have the seasons they had this year. I would definitely draft a receiver in this draft to take the roster spot of whoever is less impressive between Jean and Posey (or Martin if we draft a RB capable of returning the ball--Giovanni Bernard, maybe?).

Sig by matthouston91
buckwild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Rob Ryan is out in Dallas, and rumor has it they are switching to a 43. Anthony Spencer could be on his way out, we should def. take a look, and considering the Cowboys traded back into the first round to draft him, I bet Wade will be all over him if he becomes available.

Do we have 8-9 million a year to sign Spencer?

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Rob Ryan is out in Dallas, and rumor has it they are switching to a 43. Anthony Spencer could be on his way out, we should def. take a look, and considering the Cowboys traded back into the first round to draft him, I bet Wade will be all over him if he becomes available.

My God if we can somehow sign him and resign GQ and Casey then the offseason would go down as an A+++++++++

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Do we have 8-9 million a year to sign Spencer?

Yeah, was about to say. Spencer might of been overpaid, but on the open market...he'd still command a pretty hefty salary. Moreso than I'd be willing to spend for an off-the-bench pass rusher.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting, but I don't see our current outside pass-rusher situation as all that different from what it was a few years ago. We all made the mistake of thinking we were going to have a consistent rush presence on the edge between Mario Williams and Antonio Smith, and with the addition of Connor Barwin to the mix, we anticipated having a pretty good rotation up front.

Unfortunately, we wound up with two guys who were solid players but weren't consistent threats in our then-current scheme to generate pressure.

Fast-forward, we anticipated having a monstrous pass-rush between the rising star Connor Barwin and the do-everything guy in Brooks Reed, both taking turns rotating out with Whitney Mercilus. Except the two starting guys were largely stifled as pass-rushers (while both have been valuable contributors down the stretch) and Whitney Mercilus showed some promise, his ability to contribute in other aspects of the game makes the idea of plugging him in as a long-term starter seem untenable at the moment.

I actually think the team can get back to having more of a pass-rush from its OLBs if we're willing to fix the personnel behind our front 4/5. We ended up running a 4-2-5/nickel and 4-1-6/dime defense greater than 50% of the time, and I don't believe this has long-term viability with the sort of scheme Wade is adept at implementing.

As great as Watt and Smith have been as interior pass-rushers, this defense works significantly better when they are playing 5-techs in an odd-man front than when they are the lynchpin for all pressure we generate--and as interior pass-rushers.

The team needs reliable inside linebacker play, both as run-stoppers and coverage guys, so that it is not so hamstrung in the face of the pass-heavy NFL that it must absolutely pick its poison in making personnel decisions. When playing with Shaun Cody, Tim Dobbins, Bradie James, Barrett Ruud, Darryl Sharpton, or Mister Alexander on the field, the team is a liability against the pass. When it decides to essentially make its base formation a dime set and add run-stopping duty to a list of responsibilities for Quin and Manning, we're setting ourselves up for failure.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwayne Bowe would be a great addition, but he is gonna sign for #1 WR money and we already have a ton of money invest in Andre Johnson i dont think there is anyway Bowe comes to a run first team to be the #2 option....i would love Bowe though, his numbers are overlooked but they are impressive:

415 catches 5,728 yards and 39 TDs. he is only 28 and has 3 1,000 yards seasons, oh and MAtt Cassel has been his QB the last 4 years
kenney

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Dwayne Bowe would be a great addition, but he is gonna sign for #1 WR money and we already have a ton of money invest in Andre Johnson i dont think there is anyway Bowe comes to a run first team to be the #2 option....i would love Bowe though, his numbers are overlooked but they are impressive:

415 catches 5,728 yards and 39 TDs. he is only 28 and has 3 1,000 yards seasons, oh and MAtt Cassel has been his QB the last 4 years

I think you could legitimately see both Bowe and Greg Jennings wind up in Miami for next season.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Sebastian Vollmer, or maybe Sam Baker if he can be had for a reasonable price. If we shore up the RT spot pre draft it gives us a lot of flexibility.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory serves me, 2013-2014 is when the salary cap floor is emplimented. So there could be some big numbers thrown at guys who don't quite deserve it this coming offseaon.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
48 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Hartline is a free agent, and i think he would be a great #2 WR to replace Walter
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we don't address the 2nd WR position in the offseason whether its trading up to get a beast in the first round or signing a legit FA, this offseason will go down as a fail. We're sitting at a level at which almost every position we are stacked and only a few number of teams are at that level. If we just draft a WR and Kubiak says "Oh boy I really like his potential" or some bs I'm gonna be pissed. No receiver on this team would be active on gameday on just about every team in the NFL obviously excluding one.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
If we don't address the 2nd WR position in the offseason whether its trading up to get a beast in the first round or signing a legit FA, this offseason will go down as a fail. We're sitting at a level at which almost every position we are stacked and only a few number of teams are at that level. If we just draft a WR and Kubiak says "Oh boy I really like his potential" or some bs I'm gonna be pissed. No receiver on this team would be active on gameday on just about every team in the NFL obviously excluding one.

I'd actually want us to take the FA route with WRs. This class has a few names worthy of note, but I'd like to see someone who has seen how fast the NFL is, and has put in work against NFL level competition.

Greg Jennings, Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace are the popular names, but what about Miami WR Brian Hartline? Guy just had a pretty good year on a pretty mediocre offense in Miami, was their #1 WR for the most of the year. Technical route runner, more quick than fast, great set of hands, willing blocker downfield...sounds like a Kubiak-esque WR.

I'd like one of the sexier names at WR, but if we're building a roster on a budget, can't go too wrong with Hartline, IMO.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
, but what about Miami WR Brian Hartline? .

why didnt i think of that Very Happy
buckwild

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
bunnyracin wrote:

I'd actually want us to take the FA route with WRs. This class has a few names worthy of note, but I'd like to see someone who has seen how fast the NFL is, and has put in work against NFL level competition.

Greg Jennings, Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace are the popular names, but what about Miami WR Brian Hartline? Guy just had a pretty good year on a pretty mediocre offense in Miami, was their #1 WR for the most of the year. Technical route runner, more quick than fast, great set of hands, willing blocker downfield...sounds like a Kubiak-esque WR.

I'd like one of the sexier names at WR, but if we're building a roster on a budget, can't go too wrong with Hartline, IMO.

Nice player, and shouldn't cost as much as the sexier players in FA. Would like to focus the draft on fixing RT, and middle of the defense.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
bunnyracin wrote:

He didn't catch my eye when I looked at the FA but that would be a solid addition and he's only 26.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: