Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Build-a-Mock V1.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 8108
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Mingo at #6? Is this realistic? I respect Draft Scout's analysis but I question this one. Anyways....


Just a way of generating lots of mocks with a common list while we wait r months for the draft Confused
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
at23steelers


Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 3721
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should vote on these to see whose mock people like the best!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63135
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Mingo mocked to the steelers. Possiblity he coukd go to the Jets though at 9. I think he'll go on the teens or 20s at worst, same with his counterpart at LSU Montgomery. I'd be shocked if either go top 10.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
Quote:
Adopt-a-Redskin: Brian Orakpo: 6 tackles, 1, 5 QB hurries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 8108
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list is really in flux. I did this with the CBSSports list 2 weeks ago and it was different. Montgomery is dropping. Olgetree is dropping. just changes happening.
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
popie70


Joined: 18 Dec 2010
Posts: 1064
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I've seen Mingo mocked to the steelers. Possiblity he coukd go to the Jets though at 9. I think he'll go on the teens or 20s at worst, same with his counterpart at LSU Montgomery. I'd be shocked if either go top 10.


I would not be a fan of either one...Mingo reminds me of Maybin, all speed not much technique. Montgomery just seems like he has big games and than goes quite for stretches
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11888
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Montgomery is to slow off the snap and disappears what to much for my liking.

A player I like is Caleb Schreibeis - DE Montana State
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gatek99


Joined: 10 Feb 2006
Posts: 5159
Location: Ytown, Ohio 1 hour northwest of the Steelers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Sam Montgomery is to slow off the snap and disappears what to much for my liking.

A player I like is Caleb Schreibeis - DE Montana State

I will be watching him in the Shrine Game now
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kurgan


Joined: 04 Jan 2013
Posts: 45
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that it is flawed, but this is fun. The numbers change all the time as well. I actually scouted this yesterday and now the # are different. This is the first time I have posted on here after years of just reading. Here is what I see as great draft for the Steelers.


1.17--John Jenkins, NT UGA 6'3" 358 (#29)
I think this guy will be a surprise. I know that I have a UGA slant b/c I am a big Bulldogs guy, but this guy is so athletic that when the DE went down, he flipped to play a 5 tech. Huge, Huge, man and knows how to play with leverage and technique.

2.48--Chase Thomas, OLB Stanford 6'4" 248 (#69)
It hurt me not to pick Ogletree here, but I did not want to make a whole UGA draft (more on that later). This guy is amazing. High motor, high football IQ, high character.

3.80--Baccari Rambo, FS UGA 6'0" 210 (#85)
I know, I know. But, fills a huge need and is a great player with a great name. I do not really see him as a Steelers guy since he has had drug issues in the past, but he could be the new #43. I also like Andrew Jackson here (pure thumper) but we got to get the backend better.

4.114--Nico Johnson, ILB Alabama 6'2" 245 (#115)
Gotta get an inside LB presence. Can we go another year with Foote/Sylvester?? This guy can play. He is well coached and can be the man here. I do mock, though, that if we take Jackson at 80, we take a Safety here like Shawn Williams.

5.148--A.J. Klein, ILB Iowa State 6'1" 244 (#171)
Flew up since yesterday. This is my pick that I love. Not many reasons to watch ISU, but this guy is the truth. Straight up killer and thumper that can play special teams and platoon with Johnson to get Timmons back outside.

6.186--Rex Burkhead, RB Nebraska 5'11" 210 (#195)
Fills a need and a quality guy. A powerback that might be a close clone of Dwyer, but with more power and a bit more diverse. I like this pick for football and community reasons. He is the kind of guy that will play for 10 years and be a fan favorite.

7.222--Travis Howard, CB Ohio State 6'0' 196 (#244)
Simple, need corner bodies and backend skill. Howard is a big body that might be a safety eventually but for now can be thrown in the mix. Just a solid player.

7.240--Sean Renfree, QB Duke 6'4" 225 (#292)
Take a flyer on a late QB with great size and obvious smarts. Had a good coach in college (Cutcliff). Will never be the mobile roll-out Big Ben QB, but should be able to eventually come in and not lose games.

So, yeah... there it is. Tear it apart and let me know how it is messed up. I am a defensive guy (DC at the high school I work at) and I am a homer for UGA. I think this addresses all our needs (dont care about WR's). Would like more CB bodies, but I think that we should be OK with what we have here.
_________________
Better to burn out than fade away!!!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 8108
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurgan wrote:
I know that it is flawed, but this is fun. The numbers change all the time as well. I actually scouted this yesterday and now the # are different. This is the first time I have posted on here after years of just reading. Here is what I see as great draft for the Steelers.


1.17--John Jenkins, NT UGA 6'3" 358 (#29)
I think this guy will be a surprise. I know that I have a UGA slant b/c I am a big Bulldogs guy, but this guy is so athletic that when the DE went down, he flipped to play a 5 tech. Huge, Huge, man and knows how to play with leverage and technique.

2.48--Chase Thomas, OLB Stanford 6'4" 248 (#69)
It hurt me not to pick Ogletree here, but I did not want to make a whole UGA draft (more on that later). This guy is amazing. High motor, high football IQ, high character.

3.80--Baccari Rambo, FS UGA 6'0" 210 (#85)
I know, I know. But, fills a huge need and is a great player with a great name. I do not really see him as a Steelers guy since he has had drug issues in the past, but he could be the new #43. I also like Andrew Jackson here (pure thumper) but we got to get the backend better.

4.114--Nico Johnson, ILB Alabama 6'2" 245 (#115)
Gotta get an inside LB presence. Can we go another year with Foote/Sylvester?? This guy can play. He is well coached and can be the man here. I do mock, though, that if we take Jackson at 80, we take a Safety here like Shawn Williams.

5.148--A.J. Klein, ILB Iowa State 6'1" 244 (#171)
Flew up since yesterday. This is my pick that I love. Not many reasons to watch ISU, but this guy is the truth. Straight up killer and thumper that can play special teams and platoon with Johnson to get Timmons back outside.

6.186--Rex Burkhead, RB Nebraska 5'11" 210 (#195)
Fills a need and a quality guy. A powerback that might be a close clone of Dwyer, but with more power and a bit more diverse. I like this pick for football and community reasons. He is the kind of guy that will play for 10 years and be a fan favorite.

7.222--Travis Howard, CB Ohio State 6'0' 196 (#244)
Simple, need corner bodies and backend skill. Howard is a big body that might be a safety eventually but for now can be thrown in the mix. Just a solid player.

7.240--Sean Renfree, QB Duke 6'4" 225 (#292)
Take a flyer on a late QB with great size and obvious smarts. Had a good coach in college (Cutcliff). Will never be the mobile roll-out Big Ben QB, but should be able to eventually come in and not lose games.

So, yeah... there it is. Tear it apart and let me know how it is messed up. I am a defensive guy (DC at the high school I work at) and I am a homer for UGA. I think this addresses all our needs (dont care about WR's). Would like more CB bodies, but I think that we should be OK with what we have here.


I actually like everything but the 1st pick. I have only seen Jenkins play NT and he did not do as good as a job as Jessie Williams. So if I were taking a NT it would be Williams.

I'm a fan of Renfree in the late rounds. I think he could be a steal. Rambo and Chase Thomas are favorites as well.
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MightyJoeYoung


Joined: 03 Jun 2010
Posts: 2930
Location: Wakefield, England
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to move Timmons outisde? If Timmons were to move outside (again, why the hell would you want him to?), Sean Spence would start at the Mack anyway so the second ILB is redundant unless purely for depth purposes which is fine if so.

Also, to answer your question, if someone said Foote will play at the same level next year, yes we can go another year with him. Sylvester isn't even in the picture.

I don't love NT in the 1st, nor do I hate it... but I don't want Jenkins.

The rest is fine.
_________________


Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
kurgan


Joined: 04 Jan 2013
Posts: 45
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:
Why would you want to move Timmons outisde? If Timmons were to move outside (again, why the hell would you want him to?), Sean Spence would start at the Mack anyway so the second ILB is redundant unless purely for depth purposes which is fine if so.

Also, to answer your question, if someone said Foote will play at the same level next year, yes we can go another year with him. Sylvester isn't even in the picture.

I don't love NT in the 1st, nor do I hate it... but I don't want Jenkins.

The rest is fine.


Not a permanent move, just position flexibility. Timmons can play anywhere in the LB corps, and as a coach, that value cannot be told. IF want to play the best 4 LB (or 5 OL, 4 secondaries) you have to have some guys that can play multiples. Football is not Player X here, Player Y here anymore. There are packages, adjustments, movements.

I personally cant count on Spence until I see him healthy. That is why I love Johnson and Klein.

jenkins is a freakish athlete. A guy 360 that can play the 5 or 0?? That is sick.

I appreciate the dialogue though, this is fun!!!
_________________
Better to burn out than fade away!!!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
at23steelers


Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 3721
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kurgan: You seem to be very knowledgable about what you're talking about. But I'd argue Timmons doesn't have that flexibility. He's not great at shedding blocks and was a horrible OLB when we moved him there last year. It seemed to mess up his confidence when he moved back inside last year too. This year he stuck at ILB like he did in 2010 and played his best football. Why move him to a position he's much worse at?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 49729
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurgan wrote:
Timmons can play anywhere in the LB corps, and as a coach, that value cannot be told.


This is absolutely wrong.

Timmons is in no way, shape or form, a 3-4 OLB. His skillset is much better suited for 34 ILB. Trying to use him as a 34 OLB is like trying to use Ziggy Hood like Aaron Smith, which obviously isnt working out well.

Timmons is a great 34 ILB. Last year when they moved him around, he was pretty bad, especially at OLB, and it took him awhile to get back into rhythm at ILB. This season, he played ILB all year and was one of the better ILBs in the league, even if he didnt get the recognition.

Timmons, for no reason, should be moved to OLB unless we are going to a 43 base.
_________________
SCPackersFan wrote:
I hold nothing against blue-collar people and I respect/admire them for doing what they do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kurgan


Joined: 04 Jan 2013
Posts: 45
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@23 and fourthree

I totally agree with what you both are saying and there is no way that I am saying that we should straight up move Timmons to OLB. I think that we are just coming from different angles and looking at things in different ways. In the way that football is being played in the modern era, the starting lineup and what gets on the field is sooo different on every level. I know that we love to strategize and plug in players in certain spots, and think that that is where they play most of the time.

As bad as Timmons is at OLB in an everydown scenario, there is no way you all can say that there would not be certain aspects and times that he could come in and play OLB and be a dynamic player. There are certain stunts, twists and packages that LeBeau could come up with that begins with Timmons at OLB. Hell, most of the time on 3rd down we are not even in a 3-4.

I guess, that to me, the idea of "too many athletic linebackers" or "too many BUCK backers" is like saying "Dang, we have too many young cover corners"
_________________
Better to burn out than fade away!!!

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
at23steelers


Joined: 05 Mar 2011
Posts: 3721
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kurgan: Now, in subpackages where we're not in our 3-4 base, he does have slightly different responsibilities. Im just saying in a base 3-4 he should no way line up as an OLB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group