Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The DeAndre Hopkins hype train is now boarding...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

All Aboard!!!
On my way!
68%
 68%  [ 24 ]
No thanks, I'll pass!
31%
 31%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 35

Frank Costello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: The DeAndre Hopkins hype train is now boarding... Reply with quote

ALL ABOARD!!! My favorite position in the NFL is WR. Always has been and always will be. This season, Clemson has two guys that look to be tremendous players in the pros.

Sammy Watkins is still one of my favorite WR prospects, but while watching games to focus on him, Hopkins kept getting in the way. Razz

You want to talk about a WR who finds holes in coverage and always comes up clutch, you want Hopkins. With Watkins sidelined much of the year, he rose to the occasion and racked up some very impressive stats.

1,405 yards and 18 TDs, standing at 6'1. He is a very impactful WR and a guy I hope we consider. Thoughts?

Last edited by Frank Costello on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Hopkins, but he still doesn't pass Cordarelle Patterson on my favorite receiver list.

Cool
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him a lot. I tend to like him better than Terrance Williams.

I like Cordarelle Patterson and DeAndre Hopkins probably the most out of the WR's.

chuck44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The DeAndre Hopkins hype train is now boarding... Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:

ALL ABOARD!!! My favorite position in the NFL is WR. Always has been and always will be. This season, Clemson has two guys that look to be tremendous players in the pros.

Sammy Watkins is still one of my favorite WR prospects, but while watching games to focus on him, Hopkins kept getting in the way. Razz

You want to talk about a WR who finds holes in coverage and always comes up clutch, you want Hopkins. With Watkins sidelined much of the year, he rose to the occasion and racked up some very impressive stats.

1,405 yards and 18 TDs, standing at 6'1. He is a very impactful WR and a guy I hope we consider. Thoughts?

HAs a SAntonio Holmes feel to me...before he became an idiot...i like him but maybe 3rd round
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The DeAndre Hopkins hype train is now boarding... Reply with quote

Frank Costello wrote:
ALL ABOARD!!!

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Last edited by vike daddy on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
I like him a lot. I tend to like him better than Terrance Williams.

I like Cordarelle Patterson and DeAndre Hopkins probably the most out of the WR's.

I agree here, a lot. Hope we land one of the 2, or Keenan.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While true sophomore Sammy Watkins receives most of the attention (and deservedly so), DeAndre Hopkins is a very talented pass-catcher in his own right. Watkins set numerous freshman and school records in 2011, but Hopkins quietly finished fifth in the ACC with 72 catches for 978 yards and five scores, finishing close behind Watkins on the stat sheet.

Hopkins has large hands and a good catching radius to make some acrobatic catches look easy with the speed to make plays at all levels of the field. Hopkins needs to iron-out some wrinkles in his game and become a more precise route runner, but opposing defenses are well aware of #6. Hopkins had 1,214 yards receiving and 16 touchdowns in 2012, the second-best total in the nation.

Dane Brugler, CBSSports.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737078/deandre-hopkins

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
[UMN]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He either needs to measure in at 6-1+, 200+, or needs to run a sub 4.45 if he wants to go in the 1st round.

Hunter, Rogers, Williams, Allen, Patterson all have better size and he doesn't seem to have elite speed.

I think he will go in the 2nd round.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing measurables out the window, Hopkins is the best WR in the class. He is one of those guys that despite not being the tallest, strongest or fastest he finds away to get it done. The perfect comparison is Roddy White. He isn't spectacular, but very productive. Without the elite measurables, I think he lands somewhere in the mid second but I would use our first round pick on him.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him, but like most there are other guys I'd take over him. I have him as my 5th WR and if hes available in the 2nd round I'd be fine with taking him.

I dont remember what Roddy White ran in the pre draft process, but Hopkins looks like White when I watch them play. I doubt he'll be that productive, but I could easily see a really solid #2 type receiver.

I think Roddy White could be his ceiling, Santonio Holmes could be a reasonable projection too.
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All year I heard we need a tall WR to use a 1st on a WR. What changed?
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:

I've never agreed with that notion. It would be ideal to land a bigger WR but you can't force it. I'm all for sub 6'3 guys if they get open and catch.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I've never agreed with that notion. It would be ideal to land a bigger WR but you can't force it. I'm all for sub 6'3 guys if they get open and catch.

And I think most of the time the reference to the bigger guy was to someone who can stretch the field, obviously Jenkins is about 6'4" but he can't stretch the field. So someone like Wallace would work fine with Harvin because they do different things even though they are both shorter WR's.

Freakout

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Yup majority of this forum is drooling over Greg Jennings and he is only listed as 5'11.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year, I brought up the point that most WRs drafted in the top 10 are 6-1 +. Since the Vikings arent picking in the top 10, I think its completely reasonable to take Hopkins at the end of round 1.

Is it not a coincidence that most WRs who are 6-1 or shorter were never drafted in the top 10 or 15.

Teams spend early picks on the prototype, that 6-3 receiver with great speed. If you're not getting that type of WR, dont take one in the top 10 and that is why we rarely see shorter WRs get selected in the top 10. The potential simply isnt as comparable versus a tall WR, so talented shorter WRs fall and you end up finding good value at the end of round 1 and round 2.

I like hopkins a lot, he has great leaping ability and is a great natural route runner. Fantastic athlete with underrated speed. He wont go top 10, but should be there at our pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: