Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Ben era
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Post Ben era Reply with quote

Let me rattle off some names you may or may not be familiar with......

Cliff Stoudt
Mark Malone
Bubby Brister
Jim Miller
Kent Graham
David Woodley
Neil O'Donnell
Mike Tomczak
Kordell Stewart
Tommy Maddox

Those are most of the Quarterbacks we had for 20 years between the Bradshaw era and the Roethlisberger era.

So what should be the plan of attack to make sure that type of futility does not happen again?

I know a lot will depend on Ben's health, and he is only about to be 31 so he could play for 5-6 more years and I hope he does. But how long do we wait to address the position?

Should we go QB in the 4th or 5th this year and hope we can bring a QB along to someday be his replacement?

Do we go QB in the 1st or 2nd in a couple 2-3 years?

Any guys you see being possible replacements in a few years?

It should be obvious how important a long term solution is...

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
stillersenat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty broad question.

First we need to address the back-up situation. We could make the back-up Ben's eventual replacement.

As to directly getting Ben's replacement, we have the luxury of developing a lower round QB as we still have time left on Ben. But the way the NFL is going, you almost HAVE to spend a 1st, and a high 1st at that, to get a true franchise QB (Flacco level or better). Sure there are exceptions to the rule such as Brady, but some investment is necessary to get a starting QB.

I think there will be a change over at the back-up QB spot, so now would be a good time to start grooming a QB.

Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth but the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
This is a pretty broad question.

It is.... but we have time til our next game for broad questions. Wink

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest plan. Watch college football and plan for a year with a lot of very good QBs coming up. Lose a lot in that year and get a high pick. Draft franchise QB.

Alternative #1: Get some really good scouts to find a franchise QB and make sure you draft him. Trade a ton to get him.

Alternative #2: Get lucky in the draft.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this in a mock...

Quote:
79. Pittsburgh Steelers - QB Aaron Murray, Georgia

I agree its probably too early given our needs... but what if we answered some of our needs in FA would this be something you'd be ok with?

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
Saw this in a mock...

Quote:

I agree its probably too early given our needs... but what if we answered some of our needs in FA would this be something you'd be ok with?

This might be difficult to do, since he went back to school!
Steelers22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit too early to stop worrying about that right now so as a result, we cannot afford to take a QB in the early rounds of any of our drafts. However, in 3-4 years, I am a firm believer that you take a QB in the first round and get the best talent available. The 2nd and 3rd round guys can end up being solid but almost always end up in the lower half of the league in terms of their play. You need elite QB play in this league to win a championship so it baffles me when people take a qb on the second and third days and it sets their franchise back because often times they are never bad enough to completely throw away but they are never good enough to win it all

props to dawg24
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would assume Ben will play until he is 35 or 36. His health and quality of play would probably deteriorate significantly beyond that.

Thst being said we have about 5 years to that point. In todays game and draft you would figure at most to need about 3 years to develop someone, can you think of any successful qb thats actually needed more beyond that?

The reality about backups is that they are backups and are supposed to be stop gaps. It is unlikely and too valuable to have a Steve Young sit on your bench.

I would focus more on this idea in 2-3 years. In the meantime if good value is available you consider it at any point for potential trade value. I also think Ben would not be very receiving of any young prospect with any real potential to take his place at this point.

...you have a forum resume?
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry, but Im not gonna not groom a QB just because it might affect Big Ben's massive ego. He probably wouldn't help teach the young QB like a Peyton Manning would, but it's still a good idea. We at least need a backup QB this year, even if they're not the franchise QB we all want to replace Big Ben in 5-6 years.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
Saw this in a mock...

Quote:

This might be difficult to do, since he went back to school!

hmmm... and that guy did his mock yesterday! Laughing

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
armsteeld

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Logan Thomas is available in the 4th, I would take him.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
If Logan Thomas is available in the 4th, I would take him.

Logan thomas despite all his issues this year is a better prospect than any qb in this draft. He will and should stay in school, work as hard as he could, go to all the camps, Manning etc and work daily with his receivers, he should be a top 5 pick. He can make every throw, has an excellent arm, can run over and around people and actually recognizes blocking and calls audibles decently for someone his age and experience. He needs more time at the position but as long as his work ethic is good he is undoubtedly a first round pick in just about any year he comes out.

He's just been making poor or lackadaisical decisions this year. One minute he looks like the next coming and then all of the sudden he has an omg what was that moment.

JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
Im sorry, but Im not gonna not groom a QB just because it might affect Big Ben's massive ego. He probably wouldn't help teach the young QB like a Peyton Manning would, but it's still a good idea. We at least need a backup QB this year, even if they're not the franchise QB we all want to replace Big Ben in 5-6 years.

Then pick up a decent young backup in free agency like kafka. Im sorry but i dont understand how you can do every single thing you do to enhance and promote your franchise qb but then not worry about how he will deal with and interact with a young prospect and how it will effect your team. If you think it wont thats crazy. At the very least we have a franchise qb signed thru 2016.

JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Then pick up a decent young backup in free agency like kafka. Im sorry but i dont understand how you can do every single thing you do to enhance and promote your franchise qb but then not worry about how he will deal with and interact with a young prospect and how it will effect your team. If you think it wont thats crazy. At the very least we have a franchise qb signed thru 2016.

It's called being a professional. Bringing in a young kid to be the back-up shouldn't turn into a Favre-Rodgers scenario if Ben is a professional and mature enough to be a team guy. Granted I wouldn't want a first round QB for 2-3 years depending on Ben but if we got a guy in the 3rd or 4th why would Ben be threatened by that?

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a backup QB since Big Ben gets injured a lot. I think Kafta could be our 2nd QB, but we might as well draft a QB in the draft too. I think even the 3rd round is too high, unless there's tremendous value. However, around the 4th-5th round, see who's available. Maybe get a guy like Logan Thomas or Zac Dysert.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: