Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ross speaks on the state of the Dolphins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Ross speaks on the state of the Dolphins Reply with quote

Over the weekend Ross spoke on the state of the Dolphins and seems generally happy with the direction of the team.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/fl-miami-dolphins-ross-0108-20130107,0,7597525.story

Some highlights from the article.
Quote:
"The fact is we do have a head coach that I think will be here, and we have the makings of a quarterback that will be here a long time that has a lot of great potential, so I think when you look at it from that standpoint you can be very positive," he said.

He likes Tannehill and Phibin and sees them as the building blocks of the Franchise. If you are comfortable to the team identity (HC and QB) then it makes it easier to build from that point.

On Jeff Ireland
Quote:
"I think his football intelligence, his knowledge, his hard work, I think he has respect of his peers," Ross said. "He was one of the youngest general managers around. I like dealing with youth, enthusiasm, and I think he has the knowledge, the desire, and is smart, and he's committed to building. And he laid out a plan. We do have a young team. If we're right on plan we're going to be there for a long time."

Even Ross indicates that this is the first time since he bought the team that it is his team. He was handed the Parcels/Sparano combination and even eludes to the fact that this is the first time hes had a chance to run the team, that until the 2012 offseason Parcel still had an impact (whether directly or through Sparano),

Quote:
"This is really the first time I've really gotten involved," Ross said. "I didn't select the people that were here before. I was handed a situation that, one, I was kind of painted to the wall. When Parcells left it was my fault, when Miami lost it was my fault. I have a lot of respect for Bill but I didn't really put together that organization."

Not sure what to think, but if the billionaire who owns the team is happy with the direction of the team then I guess you can say they are headed in the right direction.

One last Quote
Quote:
"I'm willing to spend whatever it takes to build it," he said. "I think sometimes people look at spending as a way of winning. In business it isn't money that solves problems, it's brains that solve problems, and using your abilities. But certainly all my resources are there. If the right players are there I don't care what it costs. We'll go after them."

I have to give the guy credit for understanding that throwing money at the problem will not solve anything, but also have the willingness to spend what it takes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I'm willing to spend whatever it takes to build it," he said. "I think sometimes people look at spending as a way of winning. In business it isn't money that solves problems, it's brains that solve problems, and using your abilities. But certainly all my resources are there. If the right players are there I don't care what it costs. We'll go after them."

This quote was fantastic because it's exactly what you want to hear from an owner.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is really the first time I've really gotten involved
And this is what I don't want to hear from an owner. Ross is not a football man. Leave ALL the football decisions to Ireland and Philbin.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
Quote:
And this is what I don't want to hear from an owner. Ross is not a football man. Leave ALL the football decisions to Ireland and Philbin.

He does....he was talking about removing the old coach and allowing Ireland and himself to select who they wanted as a coach....he said he wouldn't get involved in personnel decisions, but would provide the financial support needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still laughing... sorry Stephen Ross must think fans are idiots. He inherited Parcells so its not his guy... then fire him your the owner.

Spend whatever it takes?..... you have to spend a minimum of 90% accprding to the CBA or face fines from the NFL until you meet the requirement.

He keeps repeating "I think". Which will turn into "I was misinformed" down the road. Another piece of verbage to deflect.

I'm not impressed. Its all the hyperbole of a child and snake oil salesman rolled into one. If you believe Ross I have some nice waterfront property west of Sun Life stadium I'd like to sell you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
I'm still laughing... sorry Stephen Ross must think fans are idiots. He inherited Parcells so its not his guy... then fire him your the owner.

Spend whatever it takes?..... you have to spend a minimum of 90% accprding to the CBA or face fines from the NFL until you meet the requirement.

He keeps repeating "I think". Which will turn into "I was misinformed" down the road. Another piece of verbage to deflect.

I'm not impressed. Its all the hyperbole of a child and snake oil salesman rolled into one. If you believe Ross I have some nice waterfront property west of Sun Life stadium I'd like to sell you.

I'm still not sure why all the hate for Ross?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
Quote:

He does....he was talking about removing the old coach and allowing Ireland and himself to select who they wanted as a coach....he said he wouldn't get involved in personnel decisions, but would provide the financial support needed.
I hope you're right Monk, and to the extent that Ross is not infereing, I support his efforts.
DOLFAN016

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:

Do you have a link of the property that you can send me? I'm a big fan of The U also and would love to live in South Beach.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:

How far west? Are we talking Everglades where the Bass fishing is world class or sw coast where the snook & tarpon fishing is world class?

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

There are certain people who have jumped to conclusions and made assumptions on there own about him that no matter what he does or say will they not admit they were wrong or give him credit. The only way that will change is if we win. I have done a complete 180 on ross this year and with his patience and understanding of what it actually takes to win in this league. Its funny last off season we were killed as a joke by every media outlet in the nation it was kill the dolphins day everyday and people liked to run with it. A year later you are starting to see the media slowly give dolphins props for a team on the up for where the franchise sits a young Qb, a promising coach extra picks good salary cap and now stability but no matter what the same people basjing him in here wont give him atleast one ounce of cred its unfortunate but till we win its reality. I still remember people bashing hardknocks because they thought it was all about ross and ross was another jerry jones but nobody mentions that he did not show his face on the show one single time. Ross may be alot of things but he is nothing like jerry jones.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

There are certain people who have jumped to conclusions and made assumptions on there own about him that no matter what he does or say will they not admit they were wrong or give him credit. The only way that will change is if we win. I have done a complete 180 on ross this year and with his patience and understanding of what it actually takes to win in this league. Its funny last off season we were killed as a joke by every media outlet in the nation it was kill the dolphins day everyday and people liked to run with it. A year later you are starting to see the media slowly give dolphins props for a team on the up for where the franchise sits a young Qb, a promising coach extra picks good salary cap and now stability but no matter what the same people basjing him in here wont give him atleast one ounce of cred its unfortunate but till we win its reality. I still remember people bashing hardknocks because they thought it was all about ross and ross was another jerry jones but nobody mentions that he did not show his face on the show one single time. Ross may be alot of things but he is nothing like jerry jones.

The issue I had and many other had with the Hard Knocks had nothing to do with Ross wanting to paste his face on televisions across America, but rather that he was putting the Dolphins on TV in order to boost ticket sales. My preference for boosting ticket sales is by creating a winning ball club. I don't believe its an accident that no other team was reported as wanting to participate in the Hard Knocks spectacle. It made for compelling television, and I watched every episode but how it helped the Dolphins win is lost on me.

Ross strikes me as a jackass. Then again, I don't know the guy. But his stated desire to make the Dolphins like the "Lakers Showtime" era is what turns me off the most. The minority stakes in the team he has given Fergie, Marc Anthony, The Williams sisters, Gloria Estefan and Jennifer Lopez tells me his interest is first in glitz and glamour, not winning. Then again, its pretty obvious the guy doesn't want to lose. He has more to gain by the Dolphins winning than anyone else. I just don't have faith in him based on what he has done thus far. The ONLY thing that I like that he has done so far is the hiring of Joe Philbin, and the jury is still out on that decision. Beyond that, every move made by him so far, seems questionable. Throw in the fact that the new logo floated out as the probable new look for the Dolphins is really, really soft and I, for one, don't like what he is doing. And yes, winning will cure it all. Well, except for Marc Anthony, nothing will cure that.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
fishfan4life wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

The issue I had and many other had with the Hard Knocks had nothing to do with Ross wanting to paste his face on televisions across America, but rather that he was putting the Dolphins on TV in order to boost ticket sales. My preference for boosting ticket sales is by creating a winning ball club. I don't believe its an accident that no other team was reported as wanting to participate in the Hard Knocks spectacle. It made for compelling television, and I watched every episode but how it helped the Dolphins win is lost on me.

Ross strikes me as a jackass. Then again, I don't know the guy. But his stated desire to make the Dolphins like the "Lakers Showtime" era is what turns me off the most. The minority stakes in the team he has given Fergie, Marc Anthony, The Williams sisters, Gloria Estefan and Jennifer Lopez tells me his interest is first in glitz and glamour, not winning. Then again, its pretty obvious the guy doesn't want to lose. He has more to gain by the Dolphins winning than anyone else. I just don't have faith in him based on what he has done thus far. The ONLY thing that I like that he has done so far is the hiring of Joe Philbin, and the jury is still out on that decision. Beyond that, every move made by him so far, seems questionable. Throw in the fact that the new logo floated out as the probable new look for the Dolphins is really, really soft and I, for one, don't like what he is doing. And yes, winning will cure it all. Well, except for Marc Anthony, nothing will cure that.
As I stated he does some things that I dont agree with and the whole marc anthony william sisters,gloria estefan glitter act is what is number 1 with me
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a longtime passionate dolphin fan that goes back to the early days so I can see where the logo is something that would really get to you and others. I will wait to see the look before I know how I feel
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
You are a longtime passionate dolphin fan that goes back to the early days so I can see where the logo is something that would really get to you and others. I will wait to see the look before I know how I feel

Fair enough. And it may not be the logo that the press is indicating it will be. However, if it is, we just went from "sort of soft", to "Charmin soft". We might as well change our colors to pink and fuchsia, if that is set to be our new look.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking all of Mercury22's thoughts on Ross.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: