Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1st Round Selection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Assuming we trade down into the second round which WR would you be in favor of drafting? (Justin Hunter, Kennan Allen, and Terrance Williams are already selected)
Robert Woods
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Da'Rick Rogers
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
DeAndre Hopkins
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Tavon Austin
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Cordarelle Patterson
70%
 70%  [ 26 ]
Quinton Patton
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 37

BrotherShine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: 1st Round Selection Reply with quote

Hey everyone, my name is Jacob. I'm a die hard Viking fan and a new member to the FF. After watching our team overachieve into to the playoffs I've been trying to figure out what our best option is drafting in the early 20s. IMO our needs:

Defensive Impact Player
Looking at our defense and how free agency will play out we have a significant need at DT, LB, and our secondary. Personally I think defensive lineman are deep to where we can find a quality one in the second and third rounds. As many have also pointed out in offseason mocks, guys like Glen Dorsey and Terrance Knighton are available to help KWill.

We have always been stout against the run since the Williams wall but on today's pass happy league we jus dont compare to the top defensives against the pass. Our secondary is extremely weak (except for Harrison smith who is looking like a stud, and Winfield who will retire soon). Chris cook will be a solid option at corner but do we really want AJ Jefferson especially how he jus mugs receivers cuz he has no ball skills?? Our SS, Raymond comes back from injury but isn't that solid in coverage or tackling. Sanford is a back up and excellent special teamer IMO.

Wide Receiver
Then of course there is the Percy Harvin matter and our poor receiving core. Personally I think money would solve keeping Percy on board but after listening to guys on KFAN and other media outlets its a major possibility that he's gone. Greg Jennings is the most realistic and best option for our team considering he brings a true #1 aspect and does everything for our West Coast style.

So in the first round where do we go??
I say the best player available in the secondary, linebacker, or receiver position.
If we're not trading down I don't think DT is the way to go with its depth.
Here are the Guys I like:

Kenny Vaccaro

S 6'1 220
Great in Run and Pass Coverage
Smart heady player and of course he comes from DBUniversity

Eric Reid

S 6'2 210
Big time hitter and tackler
Makes plays all over the field and has a knack to be around the ball
Only a couple picks each season but he's a guy you can trust to be in the right position at all times

Alec Ogletree

ILB 6'3 232
Excellent size and instincts
Had a terrific career for Georgia, especially this season
We have no depth at all at LB and Brinkley is just not the answer

Terrance Wiliams

WR 6'3 205
Great Size and Ball Skills
Not terrific foot speed but he provides the possession threat we need
Combination of he, Jennings, and Jarius would be just what ponder needs to go along with Rudolph in the passing game

Keenan Allen

WR 6'3 210
Excellent combination of Size, Quickness, and Catching ability
Arguably the best route runner and finds gaps in zone coverage
If Percy is gone, he's the perfect replacement, brings a similar explosiveness with more size and less attitude

Again these are all guys I would hope we look to choose at our selection in the 1st round. If none are available when we pick, I would prefer we trade down to gain more picks and go for the same positions. It seems as if DT and WR are very deep through the first 3 rounds.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably be willing to take Patterson with our normal pick in round one.

I think that we'll see a few of the WR's move up the boards some into the later part of round one.

vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet first post.

Applause

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
BrotherShine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you vike daddy! I'm still trying to figure things out like getting a dope signature pic.

Question to The Gnat: Who realistically (any position) is the best option we can choose our draft position?
The Gnat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrotherShine wrote:
Thank you vike daddy! I'm still trying to figure things out like getting a dope signature pic.

Question to The Gnat: Who realistically (any position) is the best option we can choose our draft position?

One of the LB's: Alec Ogletree, Manti T'eo, Mosley, or Minter (which are going to shake out a lot I think)

One of the WR's: Terrance Williams, Cordarelle Patterson, Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter (again shaking out order sometime)

One of the DT's: Johnathan Jenkins, UNC (I think) DT forget his name.

rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosely is going back to school I believe Gnat
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The round 1 LBs are terrible. T'eo probably will get take early due to hype. After that, there isnt anyone worth a first round pick. Including Ogletree. I need to see more of Minter, but I think he falls to early round 2 like most 4-3 MLBs tend to do.

The WR class is solid, nobody spectacular, but several players who would be great picks at 23 like Allen, Williams, Patterson and Hunter.

I am not a huge fan of taking a CB or Safety in round 1, there are too many other needs to be drafting a potential 3rd or 4th CB in round 1, and I can live with the current Safetys if it means upgrading a more urgent need.

The DT class is pretty bad too for what the Vikings need. I am not a fan of John Jenkins for this defense, he is way too big for my taste. Id rather get an explosive guy in the middle who is strong at the point. Jenkins me be huge, but I question his ability to push up field and collapse the pocket. He might be a better fit at 3-4 NT. Shariff Floyd could be a high riser, big time potential type player. Same story with Richardson.

Really, the only first round positions I see as reasonable for the Vikings is WR or DT. LB, CB, S or OG just dont seem like good value in value in round 1 and I am not sure there are any players at those positions who i feel would be exceptional picks for the Vikings.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there are a couple of CB's that if they drop to the Vikings I'd take them, but if it is someone like Rhodes I'd look to trade down. I don't mind Rhodes around pick 33-38 for the Vikings, but 23 not so much.

TearsOfPurple

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 4 on Rogers? That guy is gonna be a stud.

#TankItTeddy
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeAndre Hopkins

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
this providence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, for whatever the reason, Patterson is available at the Vikings' slot; he's who I would be in favor of.

Assuming Warmack is off the board, which I think he will be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TearsOfPurple wrote:

Hey may be, but he's not worthy of a first round pick over guys like Patterson and Williams
AQuintus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
TearsOfPurple wrote:

Hey may be, but he's not worthy of a first round pick over guys like Patterson and Williams

That's not the poll question, though:

Quote:
Assuming we trade down into the second round which WR would you be in favor of drafting?

With that said, he's not worth a 2nd round pick over Patterson (who probably won't be available in the 2nd).

I wouldn't trade back, though, I'd look at either Ogletree or Minter (who will likely climb into the 1st) with our pick and then either Woods, Hunter, or Hopkins with our 2nd.
Freakout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Eifert! Double Tight End Set of Doom!

Honestly I wouldn't be at all against Warmack or Cooper. They are the only two guards in this draft that I feel could step in and start day one at the left guard position.

This draft reminds me of last years where everyone was drooling over the offensive tackle prospects but as the draft approached it became clear Kalil was in a league of his own followed by Riley Reiff. The others sorta faded away.

I look at the linebackers similar to the guards. Te'o, Ogletree, and Hodges are the only three I even like. I know many like Arthur Brown but I do not think he is as good as Lavonte David was last season. I think he is more Sean Spence.

The receiver position is different. It is deep and you could get a second round receiver capable of starting for this team. Same thing with the safety position except they look to extend into the third round.

I am not that crazy over the DT or CB depth in this draft.

Star, Richardson, and Short are my favorite DT's. After those three the rest become clumped together with each one having something about them that I dislike.

Of course Milliner, Banks, and Rhodes but compared to last year I loved Hayward. I also started to like Robinson but that was after the Combine. This year I don't have a guy outside of the top 3 that I am crazy over. Poyer gets tossed around but his tackling looks suspect.

So for me one the OG's, LB's, DT's, or CB's that I mentioned I would be happy with.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. I read the thread title, not the poll question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: