Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-73939091/

Sounds like not only have the Bears not released their assistants but they aren't allowing them to interview for other jobs yet. If they end up keeping Marinelli that could be a best case scenario moving forward.

Also sounds like the Clements interview will be Thursday.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good chance exists the team will hire a new head coach but retain defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, and possibly other key assistants, according to those with knowledge of the situation.
CBears019

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping Marinelli would be great and gives me a hell of a lot more confidence going into next year. He's been nothing short of great since being promoted to that position.

I actually remember being ticked off when they made that move several years ago. "Typical JA move!" Laughing

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Bears are sold on a candidate making a deep run into the playoffs, it's possible they will need the current position coaches or they risk not being able to fill out the staff with qualified candidates.

Or, it's possible they are looking at a college candidate and they want to make sure they have experienced NFL position coaches available.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
Sr7252

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People still go to the Trib? I stopped since they forced you to sign up JUST to read their articles.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to keep Marinelli, defense played great. But we will need to resign Melton as he is a free agent and also Urlacher for less or get someone who has good speed and coverage ability to play mike. That or the Tampa 2 will have to be used less often, because I just don't see quality ball skills needed for that role in Roach.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sr7252 wrote:
People still go to the Trib? I stopped since they forced you to sign up JUST to read their articles.

Use Firefox/Chrome with 'noScript' and you won't need to register.

Adopt-a-Bear Kyle Long

PFF Grade through Regular-Season Game 3: 2.7 (20th in NFL) Highest rated rookie OL

Highest rated OL in the Pre-Season
Sr7252

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Sr7252 wrote:

Use Firefox/Chrome with 'noScript' and you won't need to register.

Thanks man! Appreciate it.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:

Sounds like not only have the Bears not released their assistants but they aren't allowing them to interview for other jobs yet. If they end up keeping Marinelli that could be a best case scenario moving forward.

Nice to hear from Captain Obvious.

Emery probably knew last year he was going to have to can Smith so that is why he lengthened the assistants contracts. Smart move.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
A good chance exists the team will hire a new head coach but retain defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, and possibly other key assistants, according to those with knowledge of the situation.
As I have said Smith is not going to be hired as a HC so these guys are nice options to have.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

You're talking about Pompei I presume?
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

You're talking about Pompei I presume?
That I am. You weren't saying this. Right away I said Marinelli could well stay while the Lovie Lovers were busy falling all over themselves setting up non-existent jobs for him. Pompei needs to come up with some real news.
Gene

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
I'd love to keep Marinelli, defense played great. But we will need to resign Melton as he is a free agent and also Urlacher for less or get someone who has good speed and coverage ability to play mike. That or the Tampa 2 will have to be used less often, because I just don't see quality ball skills needed for that role in Roach.
We don't really run Tampa 2...Haven't since 2009.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:

Emery probably knew last year he was going to have to can Smith so that is why he lengthened the assistants contracts. Smart move.

Smart and shrewd move.

I would like him to fire the O assistants because I doubt they are being kept.

The d assistance as much as thy might want to leave I think it is in the best interest of the Bears to keep them.

Emery is not joking around.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pompei: Marinelli could remain DC Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:

not really a fair move on Emery's part, unless he's dictating to the next HC they have to keep the defensive staff as is, and in that case we probably won't get the candidate we want since he is coming in right away and being told how he has to build his staff. If the new HC wants the defensive staff, that's one thing, but if he doesn't plan on keeping the staff, and these guys are forced to sit and wait until all the other positions in the NFL are filled and then fired it's really a crappy move.

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: