Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys Coaching Changes: Garrett's Dirty Dozen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 66, 67, 68  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4705579/cowboys-to-hire-gary-brown-as-running-back-coach?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Cowboys hire Gary Brown as RB coach.
who????????

Another Cleveland retread??? Umm, don't really like his credentials at all!!

2 time thousand yard back (93 and 98 ) um what did he do in between??
High school assistant coach
RB Coach at Lycoming College 03-06 (what RB's came out of there in that time frame??)
OC Susquehanna University 06-07
RB's coach at Rutgers in 08
RB's coach Cleveland Browns 09-12

What connections does he have to our current staff??

Who????? Gary Brown????

Question

He did coach Ray Rice at Rutgers and Peyton Hillis in his best years and Trent Richardson this year. Has been around some good backs.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon George ‏@dmn_george
Quote:

Former Florida State LB Kendall Smith has been hired as the Dallas Cowboys’ new assistant strength and conditioning coach.

Hopefully he can make sure our players actually stretch this time around.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota

Quote:
Jason Witten "sad" that John Garrett will no longer be TE coach: "There is no question he helped me take the next step in my career
."

Confused Confused Confused Confused

What?

In Redball I Trust!
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota

Quote:
Jason Witten "sad" that John Garrett will no longer be TE coach: "There is no question he helped me take the next step in my career
."

What?

Not that surprising. Witten doesn't seem the type to throw anyone under the bus.

Kiltman on avy - Peppers90 on sig
George Selvie Fan Club
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota

Quote:
."

What?

Not that surprising. Witten doesn't seem the type to throw anyone under the bus.

In the NFL ( or NBA and MLB) you hardly dont see anyone thrown under the bus ( not good business to do so)
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be soooo pissed if Garrett is calling plays next season. He cant call plays to save his life. The only reason our offense has been successful is the talent he has out there running his poorly planned plays has been good.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8945150/dallas-cowboys-coach-jason-garrett-seems-reluctant-give-play-calling-duties

Quote:
"I don't want to definitely say one way or the other. We're trying to move in that direction," Garrett said of the play-calling mystery. "Bill and I have talked about different ways we can do it.

Quote:
Just so you know, Garrett did reference the "mechanics" of making the switch about a hundred times Wednesday during his first news conference in 44 days. As you would expect, Garrett refused to divulge exactly what that means.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-RowanKavner/Garrett-Stays-Mum-On-Naming-Cowboys%E2%80%99-Next-Play-Caller/26d42298-040c-48f5-a28c-17f9180f129a

Quote:
“We’ll probably play a preseason game in early August, and hopefully we’ll have it worked out by then,” Garrett said.

Quote:
Garrett answered more than 10 questions relating to play-calling without ever naming the next play-caller.

Sooooo whats going on? I thought it was pretty much a given that Callahan was going to call plays. Now Garrett isnt sure whos going to be calling plays. Doesnt sound like he wants to give up those duties. All these off season changes will be for nothing if Redball is still the offensive coordinator.
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you listened to the press conference, he essentially hinted that Callahan will be the playcaller.

For whatever reason, he just hasn't announced it yet.

^^^mack
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
If you listened to the press conference, he essentially hinted that Callahan will be the playcaller.

How can an nfl team not know the "mechanics" of how the play calling will work ? This reeks. Is Garrett trying to decide if he will call the plays on 3rd n long ? I mean cmon. What other team operates like that ?
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

How can an nfl team not know the "mechanics" of how the play calling will work ? This reeks. Is Garrett trying to decide if he will call the plays on 3rd n long ? I mean cmon. What other team operates like that ?

Teams that lose consistently. We're quickly turning into the Raiders.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://t.co/xbDNSOD6

Quote:
From my experience in the NFL, the coaches as a collective group have always put the game plans together and the play caller relies on their input throughout the week but in the game as well. I remember in Green Bay how Andy Reid, Jon Gruden and Sherm Lewis would not only get the plan together but would install it during the week but on game day, Mike Holmgren took the play card and called the plays

Quote:
I think you will see Garrett take the same approach this summer in training camp and allow Callahan to calls these games (preseason) and they will make their adjustments from there. As long as things are ironed out before the season starts that’s all that really matters.

Basically, since becoming OC, Garrett has always taken input from his offensive assistants in putting together a game plan, but he called the plays. He said since becoming HC, he has distributed those duties more and more each year. He said that the hiring of an asst. OL coach should allow Callahan more time to devote to the entire offense. Essentially, there's a few things to sort out still (likely from us having an entirely new offensive staff aside from Callahan and Phillips), but it's very likely that Callahan will be the play caller when the season starts in September.

Broaddus also gives insight into what we can expect on offense if (when) Callahan takes over playcalling duties this season.

^^^mack
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
http://t.co/xbDNSOD6

Quote:
From my experience in the NFL, the coaches as a collective group have always put the game plans together and the play caller relies on their input throughout the week but in the game as well. I remember in Green Bay how Andy Reid, Jon Gruden and Sherm Lewis would not only get the plan together but would install it during the week but on game day, Mike Holmgren took the play card and called the plays

Quote:
I think you will see Garrett take the same approach this summer in training camp and allow Callahan to calls these games (preseason) and they will make their adjustments from there. As long as things are ironed out before the season starts that’s all that really matters.

What Garrett seemingly is trying to do isn't something new. It's been done before by successful coaches across the league.

Broaddus also gives insight into what we can expect on offense if (when) Callahan takes over playcalling duties this season.

One fundamental issue here: having the card with the plays on it only has a positive impact if the person calling the plays knows what plays to call and when to call them. Garrett fails in that area and has consistently failed there since arriving in Dallas as a coach. So until he learns how to call plays, it doesn't matter who is creating the play card.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
One fundamental issue here: having the card with the plays on it only has a positive impact if the person calling the plays knows what plays to call and when to call them. Garrett fails in that area and has consistently failed there since arriving in Dallas as a coach. So until he learns how to call plays, it doesn't matter who is creating the play card.

Believe me, I agree wholeheartedly that Garrett needs to give play calling duties to someone else. Listening to his press conference yesterday, I believe he intends to. With basically an entirely new offensive staff (aside from Callahan and Phillips), I think they still have some things to sort out but by the sound of things we will know for certain by the time preseason rolls around and I would be very surprised if Garrett is calling plays this year.

^^^mack
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

Believe me, I agree wholeheartedly that Garrett needs to give play calling duties to someone else. Listening to his press conference yesterday, I believe he intends to. With basically an entirely new offensive staff (aside from Callahan and Phillips), I think they still have some things to sort out but by the sound of things we will know for certain by the time preseason rolls around and I would be very surprised if Garrett is calling plays this year.

He knows how to call plays. Obvious run formation on first down in the first quarter. Play called run. Obvious pass formation. Pass on 2nd and 3rd down. By mid second quarter, completely abandon the run.

How bout running and passing out of the same formations. It would be terrible to make the defense think.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/2/19/4006806/cowboys-coaching-staff-jason-garrett-jerry-jones-rod-marinelli-monte-kiffin-derek-dooley

Quote:
It all runs contrary to the image that emerged of the team right after the end of the season. A cynical response to all this is to presume the responses were coordinated and coached in a form of damage control. Actually, I do think there was a deliberate nature to the way all the assistants talked about the team and their head coach. But I don't think it was forced on them. I think they chose to do it to try and correct an image of things that they felt was very mistaken. Maybe I am too optimistic, but I see it as rallying around someone you have faith in, and a group of coaches coming together, some reforging old bonds, the rest building new ones. It portends some good things for the team. At least, it looks like the kind of place I would want to work. And nothing like the way it was portrayed just a few weeks ago.

Unique take.

In Redball I Trust!
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/02/chicago-gm-surprised-he-was-able-to-get-joe-decamillis-as-special-teams-coach-from-dallas.html

I'm really surprised and pleased we were able to sign Mackenzy Bernadeau. He's such a tremendous talent and athlete. Obviously I'm kidding. Does anyone ever say, well we had to hire somebody.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 67 of 68

Jump to: