Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys Coaching Changes: Garrett's Dirty Dozen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 66, 67, 68  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
SDE is an issue and atleast 1 DT is an issue.

That's Crawford's natural position. Assuming no Spencer; Crawford, Ratliff, Hatcher, Ware is a solid front four, IMO. We'd be lacking in depth, though, which is why I think we go DE in rd 1 and let draft pick (Okafor? Ansah?) fight it out Crawford.

Crawford may fit that role but he's proven nothing to say he deserves to start or is capable of starting at a high level.

I see Ratliff and Hatcher filling the same role/spot and while it wouldn't surprise me if they forced the issue I'm not sure it'd be all that successful, especially with both of their ages (30+ each)

Sig courtesy of mack.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

That's Crawford's natural position. Assuming no Spencer; Crawford, Ratliff, Hatcher, Ware is a solid front four, IMO. We'd be lacking in depth, though, which is why I think we go DE in rd 1 and let draft pick (Okafor? Ansah?) fight it out Crawford.

Crawford may fit that role but he's proven nothing to say he deserves to start or is capable of starting at a high level.

I see Ratliff and Hatcher filling the same role/spot and while it wouldn't surprise me if they forced the issue I'm not sure it'd be all that successful, especially with both of their ages (30+ each)

Neither has a Rookie that comes in.

I see no reason Crawford couldn't succeed at that spot. Has the necessary tools. Just needs a chance. Got better as the season went on last year and will only get better under Marinelli.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

I see no reason Crawford couldn't succeed at that spot. Has the necessary tools. Just needs a chance. Got better as the season went on last year and will only get better under Marinelli.

Explain how he "got better" as the season went on

And I didn't say we should draft a DE - just that we have a ton of holes and question marks and players who don't fit the T-2 so I'm not going to get excited over these changes and go into the 2013 season with high expectations of our D. We all said the same thing when we brought in Wade, and again when we hired Rex, and now again with a 72yr old Kiffin.

Sig courtesy of mack.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Seriously? He was clearly more disruptive late in the season. Early on, with the few chances he got, he struggled to get off blocks and didn't get pressure on passing downs. As the season went on, he played better against the run and you started to see him get into the backfield occasionally on passing downs.

Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Crawford discussion seems to be perfect...for the rookie thread.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Callahan is indeed going to be our playcaller and introduce a more physical style, will our Oline start to reflect that? With Garrett's style, we tended to steer more towards the athletic lineman who moved in space well. Will Callahan want to bring in more physical, mauling types?

MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Seriously? He was clearly more disruptive late in the season. Early on, with the few chances he got, he struggled to get off blocks and didn't get pressure on passing downs. As the season went on, he played better against the run and you started to see him get into the backfield occasionally on passing downs.

He was typically seeing 5-10 snaps a game and struggled to do anything - I hope for the best from the kid but I'm not putting all my eggs in his basket

Sig courtesy of mack.
HDsportsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
Brandon George ‏@dmn_george
Jerry said it was always at his "insistence" that Jason Garrett continue to call plays after becoming HC.

Quote:
Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez
Jerry said he hired Garrett to call the plays. But believes staff that will be in place is capable of freeing him to oversee.

Jerry said if Jimmy Robinson is not wr coach next year, its not because of performance but because of career direction.

Jerry’s money quote: “I’m being influenced by Jason’s judgment not as to what he’s not going to be doing, but what he is going to be doing.”

Jerry says Garrett doesn't have to be sold on play-calling change. “The insistence that he called the plays as well as be head coach is me."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I was only able able to half listen to ESPN becasue I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure that's not how Ed Werder described it. SMFH
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDsportsfan wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
Brandon George ‏@dmn_george
Jerry said it was always at his "insistence" that Jason Garrett continue to call plays after becoming HC.

Quote:
Jerry said he hired Garrett to call the plays. But believes staff that will be in place is capable of freeing him to oversee.

Jerry said if Jimmy Robinson is not wr coach next year, its not because of performance but because of career direction.

Jerry’s money quote: “I’m being influenced by Jason’s judgment not as to what he’s not going to be doing, but what he is going to be doing.”

Jerry says Garrett doesn't have to be sold on play-calling change. “The insistence that he called the plays as well as be head coach is me."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I was only able able to half listen to ESPN becasue I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure that's not how Ed Werder described it. SMFH

Because we know Werder/ESPN are reliable sources when it comes to Dallas. Laughing

^^^mack
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC

Quote:
Garrett's not currently at the South practice, as he's interviewing potential coaches

Seems like reports about a ST Coach being named today does have traction...

In Redball I Trust!
Desperado82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC

Quote:
Garrett's not currently at the South practice, as he's interviewing potential coaches

Seems like reports about a ST Coach being named today does have traction...

He was at the North practice, however.

^^^mack
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Net yards-per-attempt: 6th (Best: 3rd, Worst: 8th)
Yards-per-carry: 12th (Best: 3rd, Worst: 26th)
Giveaways: 6th (Best: 2nd, Worst: 12th)

Those are some pretty darn good numbers over a four-year period; the Raiders never ranked worse than 8th in points or net-YPA. In his final season in Oakland, however, Callahan’s offense took a steep drop. They finished 29th in net-YPA—down from 3rd just one year prior—13th in YPC, 26th in points, and 11th in giveaways.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/breaking-down-the-boys-bill-callahans-play-calling-history-might-surprise-you.html/

In Redball I Trust!
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Rowan Kavner ‏@KavnerDC

Quote:
Jones said hes been the one who wanted a HC/playcaller and Garretts always welcomed the possibility to be walkaround HC

Quote:
Sounds like Callahan could be calling plays next season. Jones said he wouldn't be opposed to using some of Callahans ideas from OAK

Quote:
Jerry gives big hints playcaller will change. Said Garrett is convincing him its ok.

Quote:
Jason Garrett isn't calling offensive plays. Bill Callahan is calling the plays.

Other News
Quote:

Jerry Jones also said he expects to announce a hire of a special teams coach today.

Quote:

Jerry Jones said any play calling changes doesn't affect the future of WR coach Jimmy Robinson.

:lol: 8)

Odd... I am uncontrollably smiling right now. I would love to hear what others think of this. There were a lot of very strong debates about this topic. A lot of people slung mud. Interested to hear their opinion now..

It'll probably go something like this...

Jerry Jones is an idiot. Everyone could see that Garrett was a bad OC and was uncomfortable calling plays, but Jerry (who sucks and is stupid) made him do it anyway. Why can't we have a real GM? Jerry needs to die! Oh and we need to fix the o-line because Jerry Sucks.

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 13 tackles, 2 TFL, 0 sacks, 1 Pass Break Up
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with a HC surrounding himself with solid coordinators. Kiffin's reputation speaks for itself and Callahan had very impressive numbers when he was in charge of Oakland's offense. I think both are solid moves and congratulations to Jerry and Jason for pulling this off. Now all we have to do is start winning some games and make a playoff appearance or two. The irony is now that he has delegated responsibility there may be even more pressure on Garrett to win, i.e. you have an all star staff so let's pick this thing up. Good moves. I hope we see a more physical attitude at the line of scrimmage.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:

It'll probably go something like this...

Jerry Jones is an idiot. Everyone could see that Garrett was a bad OC and was uncomfortable calling plays, but Jerry (who sucks and is stupid) made him do it anyway. Why can't we have a real GM? Jerry needs to die! Oh and we need to fix the o-line because Jerry Sucks.

And it's all spin to cover up the fact that Jerry is emasculating Redball, too. Because Jerry sucks so bad as a GM that he's wrong for making Garrett call the plays and wrong for getting someone else to do it, even though he and Garrett both say that it was Garrett's idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 51 of 68

Jump to: