Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys Coaching Changes: Garrett's Dirty Dozen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 66, 67, 68  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Garrett= pass first coach
Norv= pass first coach

But don't know why I don't want Norv. They are the same coach/play caller. Thought this forum wanted more of a balance on offense.

That is the reason I don't want Norv, and don't want another past puppet of Jerry's on the coaching staff. Haven't we gone down this road before or should we hire Campo as DC so Jerry can have a puppet for each hand.

Jerry let Stephen and Jason pick the coaches while you look for your Glory hole.

The Sturm article you quoted earlier gives a lot of food for thought as to why hiring Norv is not the best move. We will get more or less the same playcalling philosophy. I want someone who is going to emphasize the run a little more, give us some more balance, and in the process make life a little easier for Romo. I will always appreciate what Norv Turner means to the history of the franchise but I wonder if he is yesterday's man?
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this forum so far the 3 best players on our team are Romo, Bryant and Witten... yet you want to run more.

Interesting.

I want to run more than this year, that is 100% sure. We were terrible this year. But I think ultimately, I just want to run more effectively. This is a passing league - more teams win superbowls by their QBs arm than their RBs legs.

I think getting new playcaller and an upgraded OL will fix both issues.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find most people say they want to see the ball run more, but really donít.

Very, very, very few of us are of the old school 3 yards and a cloud of dust variety. And no, this isnít a call of machismo to see who is of the old ilk or not. Passing is exciting. Big plays are dynamic. Football, after all, is entertainment.

I would love to see a Ďboringí offense of Saban or Coach Boom because I truly believe itís the most effective. However, I know we are a passing league and I also know our skill set is that which allows us to expose opposing teams coverage.

For me, I want a play-caller not to design a variety of different plays. For while I do take issue with some situational decisions and play-calls, as a whole I donít like to lean on hindsight to vindicate my opinions, so I donít want a play caller for that reason per say. No, instead I want a play-caller to alleviate items from Redballs plate. There is such a thing as being spread too thin.

I think Redball would be inherently comfortable with Norv and he would trust him implicitly which would allow for Redballs focus to be more broad in scope.

Also. I donít agree with Matts premise that under contract means off-limits. It just means we have to ask for permission. Some teams may deny the request, thatís true, but as a whole I think teams would be copacetic to allowing it. I would not want to keep an employee Ė no matter how extraordinary Ė if it meant I am denying them a chance at a better (or dream) job. I think that would build ill will more than anything. I take coach Booms approach: If you are a positional coach and get offered a coordinator spot, go. If you are an assistant coach and get offered a head coaching gig, go. Never limit yourself and always grow.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
I will always appreciate what Norv Turner means to the history of the franchise but I wonder if he is yesterday's man?

I view this much the same as I would saying Wade Phillips is a yesterday's man too.

Believe Matts posted somewhere last pg or so, showing what San Diego has done offensively past 7-8 yrs. Game has definitely not past Turner by, nor is his system out dated.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also. Where is Ace when I need him? I demand comics about the glory of the House of Ryan being punked. Outlaw is pleased!

TRIBUTE!

In Redball I Trust!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO7, you might not agree with me, but the truth is that both the cardinals and Steelers have blocked interviews recently. They have a history of it.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
TO7, you might not agree with me, but the truth is that both the cardinals and Steelers have blocked interviews recently. They have a history of it.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I do think Keith Butler has been basically given the DC job and has no intention of uprooting his family. I think Horton is an option, and I donít believe that the Cardinals would hold onto him while still unsure as to who the HC will be. That just seems like a messy situation because what if he is then fired. Bad juju.

Smart I don't see leaving the Shadow of Saban unless it's a Head Coaching gig.

In Redball I Trust!
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the whole holding on to Keith Butler. But, it's preventing a very good coach from progressing while they wait for the great LeBeau to retire or keel over.

Personally, if I was a team who wanted him, I would file a grievance with the league because he has been blocked for many years.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
I understand the whole holding on to Keith Butler. But, it's preventing a very good coach from progressing while they wait for the great LeBeau to retire or keel over.

Personally, if I was a team who wanted him, I would file a grievance with the league because he has been blocked for many years.

We assume he wants to move on. He is 56 and already had a failed stint as a DC. I am sure his family is firmly rooted where it is and he has job security. Money doesn't always make the world go 'round.

In Redball I Trust!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

We assume he wants to move on. He is 56 and already had a failed stint as a DC. I am sure his family is firmly rooted where it is and he has job security. Money doesn't always make the world go 'round.

Exactly. His contract expired last year. He was offered the dc position with the colts. He turned it down and went back to the steelers.
we haven't discussed marinile yet. He'd be a name to keep an eye on as well.

plan9misfit wrote:

Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking this logically.

Ryan was fired quickly so we could move before some of the head coaching vacancies could be secured. And also, before some of the play-off teams staffs could be poached. So who are we targeting that was(is) in danger of being picked up immediately. I think thatís how we have to look at this.

In Redball I Trust!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Thinking this logically.

Ryan was fired quickly so we could move before some of the head coaching vacancies could be secured. And also, before some of the play-off teams staffs could be poached. So who are we targeting that was(is) in danger of being picked up immediately. I think thatís how we have to look at this.

That's what has been killing me all day. I thought for sure we would have a quick announcement.

plan9misfit wrote:

Northland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
According to this forum so far the 3 best players on our team are Romo, Bryant and Witten... yet you want to run more.

Interesting.

I want to run more than this year, that is 100% sure. We were terrible this year. But I think ultimately, I just want to run more effectively. This is a passing league - more teams win superbowls by their QBs arm than their RBs legs.

I think getting new playcaller and an upgraded OL will fix both issues.

I agree that I want to run more effectively, which will create more balance, which should make it easier for Romo. An upgraded OL is key. I certainly don't want to become "3 yards and a cloud of dust". We will still go as far as Romo takes us. I just want some of the load of his shoulders which effective running will do. How many clubs have an asset like Murray to utilize?
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Thinking this logically.

That's what has been killing me all day. I thought for sure we would have a quick announcement.

So. Who are our options? Realistically. Romeo I think has to be one. Lovie may be one given his Texas Roots, but I think too many assume a Head Coaching job is awaiting him. Horton should be a strong possibility for while he is a flavor of a Head Coach, I donít know if he will land one yet. No to Kirby Smart, he had a shot at a Head Coaching job and didnít take it. I donít think Dan Quinn would leave one friend for another. So I am looking at just two names. Help me out, who else would we need to act on now?

In Redball I Trust!
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Thinking this logically.

In that case, it would have to be some one who is available right now. And I would doubt it's Lovie, considering he is still interviewing for HC positions. He is in Philly tonight and tomorrow and I do believe he has an appointment set up with SD or Arizona (can't remember which)

I have no idea what direction we are going to go. We could switch to a 4-3 base defense or a more fundamentally sound 3-4 approach. There are so many candidates out there that I can't even wrap my fingers around who it could be. An experienced NFL retread, an inexperienced but a bright up and comer NFL coach? Or are we going to the college ranks? So many variables? I have feel like pulling my hair out as to guess who it could be that we are targeting.

And one thing that is mind boggling, we haven't even put out any interview requests or have had any media leaks. Do they have a plan in place and are executing it to a tee or are they shooting from the hip or playing crapps?

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 21 of 68

Jump to: