Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who is going to be our Q.B.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickZambo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Did you accidentally a word or something? That stamement no sense.

FIFY

Sense makes now. What are you gonna do? New regimes mean unpopular decisions.

There is a difference between unpopular and growth stunting moves. I'm all for the betterment of this franchise, just kinda annoyed that people are looking to shew away arguably the best QB we have drafted on our roster since Tim Couch. The alternative's suck IMO.

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
Did you accidentally a word or something? That stamement no sense.

FIFY

Sense makes now. What are you gonna do? New regimes mean unpopular decisions.

There is a difference between unpopular and growth stunting moves. I'm all for the betterment of this franchise, just kinda annoyed that people are looking to shew away arguably the best QB we have drafted on our roster since Tim Couch. The alternative's suck IMO.

If the new coach and GM come to the conclusion that Weeden's continued presence is going to get in the way, I won't argue with them. The best since Couch isn't saying much.

My guess is the replacement is someone who will need to be traded for.

Alex Smith's contract becomes completely guaranteed if he is still on the roster on 4/1/13. His contract was designed with the intent to move him this offseason. Weeden wouldn't be a bad piece to dangle as a cheaper backup for the 49ers.

It sucks giving up on a 1st rounder so quickly, but it also sucks hanging on to them too long. I think Weeden could improve with time, but I won't disagree with anyone who determines he won't improve enough to continue to try and develop him when there could be a guy available who is better right now like Smith.
Kathouse Sticks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of the opinion that the new staff should identify who the franchise QB for this team should be, and if it is not Weeden, then they should do whatever it takes to acquire said franchise QB.

We need one, and we probably will not win BIG until we have one. If it is a trade for a back up, fine. If it is a trade for a starter, fine. FA, fine. Just find him and do whatever it takes to get him to Cleveland.

Can we draft that freshman Heisman winner three years early? I don't know much about college football, but I hear he is good.
Ether

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathouse Sticks wrote:
I am of the opinion that the new staff should identify who the franchise QB for this team should be, and if it is not Weeden, then they should do whatever it takes to acquire said franchise QB.

We need one, and we probably will not win BIG until we have one. If it is a trade for a back up, fine. If it is a trade for a starter, fine. FA, fine. Just find him and do whatever it takes to get him to Cleveland.

Can we draft that freshman Heisman winner three years early? I don't know much about college football, but I hear he is good.

Communist NCAA says no
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
Kathouse Sticks wrote:

Communist NCAA says no

It's not the NCAA, it's the NFL. They are the ones with the three year provision, which was upheld by the courts in a challange by Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams just about a decade ago.
Braylon4MVP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm in the minority here.. But I'm praying that Weeden gets another shot next year.

John Frusciante FTW
Red Hot Chili Peppers FTW
Entropy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braylon4MVP wrote:
I know I'm in the minority here.. But I'm praying that Weeden gets another shot next year.

I think it is irresponsible to NOT give him a shot next year.

I really don't understand why people in the media and fans seem to be so ready to give up on him. He did pretty well given the situation he was in last year.

I'm certainly fine with getting a clear "franchise QB" in favor of him next year, but I don't see any being available. It seems that some want to run him out of Cleveland to justify their own criticism about him despite being proven wrong. Itís not like there is a long list of QBs that have done better in their rookie year with as many rookie starts.

Anybody know the name of the rookie QB with 4 of the 5 best passing yardage games in Browns history? How about the guy that threw for the most yards as a rookie? And who has the most wins as a rookie?
And hey, who did that with a rookie #1 WR, rookie RB, rookie RT, 2nd year #2 WR and a whole slew of other rookies as well?

Alex Smith? Yeah he might be as good or better next year, but he also could be worse. And he won't come cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Braylon4MVP wrote:

I really don't understand why people in the media and fans seem to be so ready to give up on him. He did pretty well given the situation he was in last year.

I'm certainly fine with getting a clear "franchise QB" in favor of him next year, but I don't see any being available. It seems that some want to run him out of Cleveland to justify their own criticism about him despite being proven wrong. Itís not like there is a long list of QBs that have done better in their rookie year with as many rookie starts.

Anybody know the name of the rookie QB with 4 of the 5 best passing yardage games in Browns history? How about the guy that threw for the most yards as a rookie? And who has the most wins as a rookie?
And hey, who did that with a rookie #1 WR, rookie RB, rookie RT, 2nd year #2 WR and a whole slew of other rookies as well?

Alex Smith? Yeah he might be as good or better next year, but he also could be worse. And he won't come cheap.

Exactly! I completely agree. If there was a potential franchise quarterback sitting in front of our faces.. Sure, I'd be okay with prematurely giving up on Weeden. But, we certainly are not in that type of situation. The only potential franchise quarterback I see who may be potentially available is Ryan Mallett, and realistically I don't see us going that route.

I just don't understand how others don't see the potential in Weeden. I honestly believe he has one of the best arms in the league and I believe he is one of the best natural "throwers" in the league. He just knows how to throw a football, it looks so natural and easy when he does it. Sure, he had his ups and downs, but every rookie QB does. I think the unheard of success that the rest of his fellow rookies are having is causing people to be more impatient with Weeden than they should be.

If you exclude that absurdly abominable performance he had week one, he had a pretty decent rookie season. More touchdowns than picks, just under 7 yards per attempt and 50% completion percentage. He was forced to throw the ball way too much. Defenses knew we were going to pass that ball on almost every snap of the second half, which made things difficult for him. Also, the ridiculously inconsistent hands of his receivers (at least in the first half of the year) caused some problems for him. Also, the stupid batted passes are something that hopefully go away, those things were KILLER sometimes. I could see him throwing for 3,600 yards, 24 TDs and 16 INTs with 7.0 ypa and 62% cmpl next year. That may not sound realistic to some, but it's certainly something I could see happening and I'd be very happy with it.

John Frusciante FTW
Red Hot Chili Peppers FTW
wukusimw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He could definitely do that, especially if we get a decent third wide receiver and he continues to throw to his te's.
Entropy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braylon4MVP wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Braylon4MVP wrote:

Exactly! I completely agree. If there was a potential franchise quarterback sitting in front of our faces.. Sure, I'd be okay with prematurely giving up on Weeden. But, we certainly are not in that type of situation. The only potential franchise quarterback I see who may be potentially available is Ryan Mallett, and realistically I don't see us going that route.

I just don't understand how others don't see the potential in Weeden. I honestly believe he has one of the best arms in the league and I believe he is one of the best natural "throwers" in the league. He just knows how to throw a football, it looks so natural and easy when he does it. Sure, he had his ups and downs, but every rookie QB does. I think the unheard of success that the rest of his fellow rookies are having is causing people to be more impatient with Weeden than they should be.

If you exclude that absurdly abominable performance he had week one, he had a pretty decent rookie season. More touchdowns than picks, just under 7 yards per attempt and 50% completion percentage. He was forced to throw the ball way too much. Defenses knew we were going to pass that ball on almost every snap of the second half, which made things difficult for him. Also, the ridiculously inconsistent hands of his receivers (at least in the first half of the year) caused some problems for him. Also, the stupid batted passes are something that hopefully go away, those things were KILLER sometimes. I could see him throwing for 3,600 yards, 24 TDs and 16 INTs with 7.0 ypa and 62% cmpl next year. That may not sound realistic to some, but it's certainly something I could see happening and I'd be very happy with it.

Agree!

If you really examine the most significant problems Weeden had, it was the batted passes, the drops, and the lack of experience both he and the receivers had.

Oh, and I assumed you meant 60%, not 50%. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Romo or Flacco aren't available, I want to stick with Weeden. Not interested in Glennon, Boyd (who I think stays in school), Barkley, or Smith.

Go ahead and kill me for this, but I would trade the 6th pick for Romo. Imagine him behind this offensive line. I would love to have a meaningful game for him to screw up. He's only 33. The same "5 years of production" defense we used for Weeden applies here.

Note: You can save your hate for Romo and Flacco. Well aware of their flaws. They really aren't realistic options anyways, and my desire is to see Weeden succeed. If he's replaced, I want a viable and proven option. Those are the only two available. I also happen to be in the small camp that thinks Romo is amazing. It's actually who Luck reminds me of the most.
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelbot wrote:
If Romo or Flacco aren't available, I want to stick with Weeden. Not interested in Glennon, Boyd (who I think stays in school), Barkley, or Smith.

Go ahead and kill me for this, but I would trade the 6th pick for Romo. Imagine him behind this offensive line. I would love to have a meaningful game for him to screw up. He's only 33. The same "5 years of production" defense we used for Weeden applies here.

Note: You can save your hate for Romo and Flacco. Well aware of their flaws. They really aren't realistic options anyways, and my desire is to see Weeden succeed. If he's replaced, I want a viable and proven option. Those are the only two available. I also happen to be in the small camp that thinks Romo is amazing. It's actually who Luck reminds me of the most.
From what I have seen the only player Jerry Jones has defended since they lost to Washington was Romo. I don't think he's going to be available for anything short of an insane offer.
NickZambo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Braylon4MVP wrote:

Seconded

Agreed, but haters are going to hate...

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Braylon4MVP wrote:

How about a guy that only won one more game than McCoy, with a far better supporting cast?
BooyaCS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Braylon4MVP wrote:

How about a guy that only won one more game than McCoy, with a far better supporting cast?

He is the best qb on the roster. He has similar stats to McCoy the only difference is it took McCoy 22 games to do what weeden did in 15.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: