Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Romo Stat, Holmgren only Cowboys, Running Game, White
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Romo Stat, Holmgren only Cowboys, Running Game, White Reply with quote

The first is a stat that truly shows how much Romo needs a betters supporting cast. This is stolen from "Coy" on another message board:

Quote:
Games with a 100-plus rating:

Romo 37-11
Cutler 25-1
Ryan 32-1
Brady 79-5.

Quote:
Next up, apparently, is the Big Show. Otherwise known as Mike Holmgren, for coach of the Packers and Seahawks and most recently the surrogate owner of the Browns. LaMonte methodically and consistently has been planting stories about Holmgren’s potential interest in coaching again, starting with the notion that Holmgren would be interested in coaching the Cowboys.

In fact, at one point Ed Werder of ESPN reported that Holmgren would return to coaching only with the Cowboys.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/06/with-reid-hired-lamonte-focuses-on-placing-holmgren/

Quote:
“I won’t and can’t get into that kind of conversation because of how fired up I am about the future of Jason. The future is now, but also I am fired up about him and what he can be coaching the Dallas Cowboys. Mike Holmgren . . . I can’t tell you on a individual basis how much I respect him. He’s everything you would want as far as a coach is concerned and I appreciate, it was a compliment, when he was talking about how he was impressed with our talent and the fact that we could work together. And that’s just the case. But make no mistake about it. And Mike doesn’t need me to say what a great guy he is. Our fans probably need to hear he’s a great guy. Bottom line, it’s all about Jason with me.”

Yes, it’s all about Jason. Until it isn’t.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/13/jerry-jones-says-its-all-about-jason-but-is-it/

Quote:
In theory, that makes sense. But if Calvin's point is that many of the teams having success in the playoffs are strong in the running game, I submit that they're strong around a reliable central figure who takes all of the snaps and the hits and keeps on grinding. Marshawn Lynch in Seattle. Ray Rice in Baltimore. Arian Foster in Houston. Denver got lucky, when Willis McGahee went down in the second half, it was able to turn to a former first-round pick in Knowshon Moreno and keep going.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/47966/cowboys-giants-have-a-similar-problem

Quote:
Former Cowboy Danny White saw every Tony Romo pass this season as the analyst for the club’s national radio broadcasts. He mostly loved what he saw.

“I’m not sure this team would have won more than three games this season with others at quarterback,” White said. “I’d like to see Peyton [Manning] or some others who aren’t mobile try to perform with what Tony had around him. And I just really liked the way he played the second half of this season, throwing out of the pocket, setting his feet, cutting the interceptions way down. I thought in many ways it was his best season.”

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/12/ex-cowboy-tony-romos-ints-were-his-fault-but-cowboys-would-have-won-3-games-without-him.html/
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PFT article is referencing an article that came out mid season. Not sure that its relevant, but its still interesting to read.
NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last few drafts Jerry has said hes focused his decisions around being "Romo friendly", yet Romo plays with one of the least quarterback friendly offenses in the NFL. This year Jerry needs to be serious with himself, and actually get Romo some help. There's a reason why Aaron Rodgers puts up monster numbers in Green Bay, he has all a quarterback can ask for to work with. I honestly feel that if Romo gets more time to throw the ball, and has more than one consistent weapon to work with (Dez), he can be as good as any quarterback in the NFL. These last few seasons he has faced way too much pressure trying to carry this offense on his back. When you're under that much pressure, something bad is going to happen eventually, as it did in the season finale vs Washington.

^ made by CalhounLambeau
PincheJimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoFlyZone wrote:
The last few drafts Jerry has said hes focused his decisions around being "Romo friendly", yet Romo plays with one of the least quarterback friendly offenses in the NFL. This year Jerry needs to be serious with himself, and actually get Romo some help. There's a reason why Aaron Rodgers puts up monster numbers in Green Bay, he has all a quarterback can ask for to work with. I honestly feel that if Romo gets more time to throw the ball, and has more than one consistent weapon to work with (Dez), he can be as good as any quarterback in the NFL. These last few seasons he has faced way too much pressure trying to carry this offense on his back. When you're under that much pressure, something bad is going to happen eventually, as it did in the season finale vs Washington.

I think Jerry n the front office were thinking that the signings of Livings n Bernadouche would improve the line. It didn't help that they had injuries in training camp and the projected starters never really got to play together st all. I hope they correct themselves in this year's draft and get a lineman with 1st or 2nd pick Smile
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Ty kind of started as a guy where the whole thing was happening 100 miles an hour for him,” Baker said. “He ended up as a guy where things slowed down enough where he was able to play really physically, being productive, understanding blocking schemes, reacting to the ball, being a real live NFL lineman. His maturation process, I think, was right along the lines of what we’d hoped, and probably exceeded my expectations.”

The Cowboys had no choice but to play the third-round pick after losing Jay Ratliff, Josh Brent and Kenyon Coleman. Baker said he’d never before in his career experienced the kind of losses the Cowboys’ defense and defensive line sustained this season.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-RowanKavner/Crawford-Exceeded-Baker’s-Expectations-As-Run-Stopper/c736a9cd-e48f-4f63-86ee-ab795ac5d584
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cowboys tight end Jason Witten is getting the Bart Starr Award, presented by Athletes in Action to an NFL player for “outstanding character and leadership in the home, on the field and in the community.”

In December, Witten won the Good Guy Award from the DFW chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America for outstanding cooperation with the media.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/01/witten-named-winner-of-bart-starr-award-for-outstanding-character-and-leadership.html

Good for Witten.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:
Cowboys tight end Jason Witten is getting the Bart Starr Award, presented by Athletes in Action to an NFL player for “outstanding character and leadership in the home, on the field and in the community.”

In December, Witten won the Good Guy Award from the DFW chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America for outstanding cooperation with the media.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/01/witten-named-winner-of-bart-starr-award-for-outstanding-character-and-leadership.html

Good for Witten.

Couldn't be given to a better person.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
“Ty kind of started as a guy where the whole thing was happening 100 miles an hour for him,” Baker said. “He ended up as a guy where things slowed down enough where he was able to play really physically, being productive, understanding blocking schemes, reacting to the ball, being a real live NFL lineman. His maturation process, I think, was right along the lines of what we’d hoped, and probably exceeded my expectations.”

The Cowboys had no choice but to play the third-round pick after losing Jay Ratliff, Josh Brent and Kenyon Coleman. Baker said he’d never before in his career experienced the kind of losses the Cowboys’ defense and defensive line sustained this season.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-RowanKavner/Crawford-Exceeded-Baker’s-Expectations-As-Run-Stopper/c736a9cd-e48f-4f63-86ee-ab795ac5d584

We absolutely need Crawford to take a big step forward next year as a full-time starter. Be the 2013 version of Lee(2011) or Carter(2012).

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If there is a coach that Jason Garrett follows more than any other, it’s Nick Saban.

It’s not Jimmy Johnson. It’s not any of the other coaches he played for in the NFL, from Jim Fassel and Sean Payton and Jon Gruden.

It’s Saban.

If you’re tired of hearing about Garrett’s “process” talk, blame Saban. That’s where Garrett got it from. He was Saban’s quarterbacks coach in Miami for two years and he likes to say he has notebooks filled with information of all the things he learned from Saban.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4704461/jason-garrett-trying-to-follow-nick-sabans-process

I think the world of Saban as a coach, so I'm good with this.

In Redball I Trust!
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:
If there is a coach that Jason Garrett follows more than any other, it’s Nick Saban.

It’s not Jimmy Johnson. It’s not any of the other coaches he played for in the NFL, from Jim Fassel and Sean Payton and Jon Gruden.

It’s Saban.

If you’re tired of hearing about Garrett’s “process” talk, blame Saban. That’s where Garrett got it from. He was Saban’s quarterbacks coach in Miami for two years and he likes to say he has notebooks filled with information of all the things he learned from Saban.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4704461/jason-garrett-trying-to-follow-nick-sabans-process

And I LOVE Savan's players, so I'm good with it, too, if it lands us a few of them.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:

It’s Saban.

I'm fine with it as well. I'm not fine with his inability to adjust his playcalling and properly prepare a proper game plan for the team to follow on Sundays. It's clear that we play hard for Red Pubes, but I'm not confident that he has the skill of being an efficient head coach. We'd need to see how the team performs if/when he isn't the one calling the plays on offense to really determine his value as a head coach.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:

It’s Saban.

I'm fine with it as well. I'm not fine with his inability to adjust his playcalling and properly prepare a proper game plan for the team to follow on Sundays. It's clear that we play hard for Red Pubes, but I'm not confident that he has the skill of being an efficient head coach. We'd need to see how the team performs if/when he isn't the one calling the plays on offense to really determine his value as a head coach.

I would argue that it's not so much the adjustment but the game plan going into games that needs the most work. Scoring over 10 points in the first half only once is frustrating.

There are a lot of qualities I like about him, and some incredibly frustrating habits of his. If he can maximize his strengths and limit his liabilities, I think he could have a strong making of a Head Coach.

In Redball I Trust!
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Quote:

It’s Saban.

I would argue that it's not so much the adjustment but the game plan going into games that needs the most work. Scoring over 10 points in the first half only once is frustrating.

There are a lot of qualities I like about him, and some incredibly frustrating habits of his. If he can maximize his strengths and limit his liabilities, I think he could have a strong making of a Head Coach.

I also pointed out his not preparing a proper game plan for Sundays. I was implying the inability to score in the first half there.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. I know. I was agreeing with (and highlighting) "properly prepare a proper game plan for the team to follow on Sundays."

In Redball I Trust!
HDsportsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saban didn't do squat in Miami nor do them any favors. I can live without having him here....and Gruden for that matter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: