Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Houston Texans @ New England Patriots Divisional Round
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins?
Texans by a lot
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Texans by a little
26%
 26%  [ 9 ]
Patriots by a little
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Patriots by a lot
58%
 58%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 34

jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
mse - I hear you. I really do.

Let me ask you honestly. Do you BELIEVE Matt Schuab could lead this team to the Super Bowl or do you HOPE he can?

I think most of us HOPE he can, but the reality is substantially against that.

The way that Matt Schaub plays in "games that matter" has not inspired confidence. Other teams even seem to know that they do not need to fear us when the "game matters".

Is that all on Matt Schaub? Not all of it. Has he got us this far? Absolutely. Is in the top half of QB's in the league? Absolutely. Does he feel (or play) like a QB who can win you a SB? Not so much.

Our defense did play well enough to keep us in the game. But the offense BLEW several chances to take advantage. Watch the game again and just be honest.

I believe he can 100%.

Here's the thing. You say he is in the top half of the league but then question his ability to win a SB. That makes a pretty small list of team capable of winning.

That last paragraph is wrong. 41 points is not playing well enough for anything. Did the offense blow some chances? Sure. The defense blew a lot more chances. Not the least of which was the last drive and their inability to get off the field. The offense did enough to keep us in it. Not the defense.

mse - I think you are in a small camp. Now that being said have worse QB"s led their team to SB wins (absolutely) - I'm looking at you Trent Dilfer.

And right now there does seem to be a small list of QB's who seem to be able to carry their teams to a SB win. The thing that sucks is that you saw three possibly drafted this year.

Could the D have played better that is for certain. But if you look at the teams that have beaten the Pats, they have mainly done so by keeping up with them offensively - look at their record this year, few teams could stop them defensively.
texandominance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
jch1911 wrote:

Let me ask you honestly. Do you BELIEVE Matt Schuab could lead this team to the Super Bowl or do you HOPE he can?

The way that Matt Schaub plays in "games that matter" has not inspired confidence. Other teams even seem to know that they do not need to fear us when the "game matters".

Is that all on Matt Schaub? Not all of it. Has he got us this far? Absolutely. Is in the top half of QB's in the league? Absolutely. Does he feel (or play) like a QB who can win you a SB? Not so much.

Our defense did play well enough to keep us in the game. But the offense BLEW several chances to take advantage. Watch the game again and just be honest.

I believe he can 100%.

Here's the thing. You say he is in the top half of the league but then question his ability to win a SB. That makes a pretty small list of team capable of winning.

That last paragraph is wrong. 41 points is not playing well enough for anything. Did the offense blow some chances? Sure. The defense blew a lot more chances. Not the least of which was the last drive and their inability to get off the field. The offense did enough to keep us in it. Not the defense.

mse - I think you are in a small camp. Now that being said have worse QB"s led their team to SB wins (absolutely) - I'm looking at you Trent Dilfer.

And right now there does seem to be a small list of QB's who seem to be able to carry their teams to a SB win. The thing that sucks is that you saw three possibly drafted this year.

Could the D have played better that is for certain. But if you look at the teams that have beaten the Pats, they have mainly done so by keeping up with them offensively - look at their record this year, few teams could stop them defensively.

Schaub can. He wasn't the reason that we lost the game. First drive, a dropped pass cost us 4 points, that would have been big. The reason we couldn't win the game was because we couldn't stop Steven Ridley, Tom Brady and Wes Welker. Those three tore us a part. Schaub was not the reason that we lost this game. Ya'll need to calm down and accept that Schaub is our QB.

We aren't going to cut him, we aren't going to trade him. He will be our QB going into next year, and the following. You don't give a QB a 5 year extension and then cut, trade or bench him after year 1.

Not going to happen, we can stop all of this talk
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texandominance wrote:
e aren't going to cut him, we aren't going to trade him. He will be our QB going into next year, and the following. You don't give a QB a 5 year extension and then cut, trade or bench him after year 1.

Not going to happen, we can stop all of this talk

This I agree with and see. My point = we need to be looking for our own Russell Wilson / Tom Brady = later round steal.

Also, sorry AA & others, not sure if TJ is that guy.
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this game proved is our need for an ILB,DT, and RT.

You can't get in a shoot out against Tom Brady because you are destined to lose, Just ask Peyton Manning.

We have to get a competent back up at ILB because no one knows how Cushing is going to bounce back from his injury.

Last year showed us that if we are able to run the ball no matter how many the defense puts in the box. You can win with a rookie 5th round pick

The problem isn't Schaub its turning him into a game manager rather than putting the whole game on his back.

Or would we like to go back to David Carr?

I know that we are disappointed about the game, but we won 12 games this year. Appreciate it!! Rather than expecting this team to win the SB after our 2nd playoff appearance.

Rome wasn't built in a day guys, and take this as a learning experience.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
kenney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably nothing, but there are rumblings on Twitter that Kubiak is fired.
Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look at other defenses, Seahawks, Broncos, 49ers. All gave up 30+ points and are all too defenses. In the playoffs when your playing the best QBs in the league, they are goin to put up points. Its youre offense that has to match it and the texans did not do that because schaub was checking down the entire game! Hey im all for checking down in defnsie showdowns like the Bengals games. Limit your mistakes and dont force anything but this was a shootout and Matt Schaub shot blanks.
Marco79

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Itll be interesting to see what Foster and Andre have ti say about Schaub. Andre was so frustated on the field you could tell and you cant blame him when he takes no chances down field. DID YOU SEE WHAT ANDRE DID WITH TALIB DRAPPED ALL OVER HIM?! Talib was practically tackling andre on the 2 point conversion and he still manhandled him to get the catch. Throw ut up to him and let him make a play.

Foster is always a good quote and i remeber after either the colts or vikings game he made a comment after when asked about schaub that did not back him whatsoever.
DreDay80

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
Also Itll be interesting to see what Foster and Andre have ti say about Schaub. Andre was so frustated on the field you could tell and you cant blame him when he takes no chances down field. DID YOU SEE WHAT ANDRE DID WITH TALIB DRAPPED ALL OVER HIM?! Talib was practically tackling andre on the 2 point conversion and he still manhandled him to get the catch. Throw ut up to him and let him make a play.

Foster is always a good quote and i remeber after either the colts or vikings game he made a comment after when asked about schaub that did not back him whatsoever.

It's 4th down and 1 and Kubiak draws up a horrific play. You had Andre 1-on-1 down the field and you throw it to DeVier f'n Posey? You serious?
Raz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreDay80 wrote:
Marco79 wrote:

It's 4th down and 1 and Kubiak draws up a horrific play. You had Andre 1-on-1 down the field and you throw it to DeVier f'n Posey? You serious?

Wait, your blaming Kubiak for Schaub not throwing to Andre on 4th and 1.Also how was that a horrific play design?i'll re-watch the game later today.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
It's probably nothing, but there are rumblings on Twitter that Kubiak is fired.

Now that would be funny Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
biggio7 wrote:
jch1911 wrote:

Great points but I have to ask, to anybody, when was the last time a team gave up 40+ points and won the game? Defense wins games.

Fair enough biggio - but it's the Patriots! You know they have an offense for the a$$. So you have to be able to punch with them. If we get up, he Pats have to pass. Our defense is built to play from the front - not from behind against repeat Super Bowl contenders.

I will give you that our D looked out of sync when the Pats went hurry up. (1) That's on the players to get their heads in the game; (2) the D Coordinator (our beloved Wade) has to be quicker (3) We missed Cush. Plain & simple. He makes the calls and fires up the D. But our D did play well enough to keep us in the game. BUT THE OFFENSE CANNOT HAVE TO's and HAS TO COMPLETE OPPORTUNITIES. The offense didn't do that.

I agree to some degree. But that defense lacked! No pressure, LB's on RB's on deep routes? C'mon.

I'll also agree that Schaub may not have played as well as he could have. But neither did the OL, or Foster, or...

I cannot keep from wondering that if Schaub is nothing more than a game manager, how much of that is on him, vs play calling, vs philosophy, vs Kubiak's expectations?

Right now, there are only 6-7 QB's I can think of that I'd rather have than Schaub. You can yell about drafting a QB, but that's a crapshoot. How many first round QB's end up being nothing more than a glorified back up? David Carr? JeMarcus Russell? Alex Smith? No thanks.
The Third Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have a good team, the problem is mostly that you guys don't match up well with the Patriots (not many teams do though). 12 Wins is nothing to scoff at and you guys will have another top team next year. In today's NFL you either have an elite QB or defense to stop one. Good luck next season.

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you won't be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.
Raz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the teams that advanced to the championship game forced more turnovers than the losers.We really need some playmakers on defense to force turnovers.

Going into next season, if we are going to go all in on Schaub with what we know now, then we got to make the defense a lot better.Manti Teo'o or Matt Elam sound good.I think the offensive line will be much better next year but we really need to get a FA WR and draft some other weapons on offense.

Kubiak is not a problem to this team, it's ridiculous to think so.Hes calling the game similar way he did at Denver.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Third Rider wrote:
You guys have a good team, the problem is mostly that you guys don't match up well with the Patriots (not many teams do though). 12 Wins is nothing to scoff at and you guys will have another top team next year. In today's NFL you either have an elite QB or defense to stop one. Good luck next season.

Thanks for the kind words TTR. Good luck the rest of the way! Very Happy

Post game thoughts:

- Lost in all of the hand wringing? This team just went 12-4, just won a division, won a playoff game. Sure, this is the tale of three good months being wiped out by a bad month...but let's not miss the forest because of all the trees in the way. This team made the elite 8 this season, 2nd year in a row we've done so. There are 24 teams who would kill to have the chance that we had over the past two years, and with a relatively young core, there's no reason why we shouldn't be mainstays in this picture for a while. The NFL moves fast, but the Texans are built to keep up in for the next few years.

- I am simply DONE defending Matt Schaub as the QB of the Texans. Now, let me state this: Matt Schaub is a good QB. Above average, actually. Going into this season, I had him in that 7-10 range, but it's a safe assumption that he's not in that range anymore; A few guys have simply caught up to him. (This has more to do with rookie QBs not needing a "warm up" period anymore. Guys are coming into the NFL, ready to make an impact right out of the gates now). This all being said...in this NFL, you can't get by with having a "good/above average" QB anymore and expect to win a Super Bowl. It may of worked for Baltimore at the turn of the century, it may of worked for Tampa Bay in 2003...but that was nearly 10 years ago, the NFL has changed since then. If the Texans are to turn the corner from "very good" to "great", the QB has to turn the corner from "very good" to "great", and I don't see a 31 year old QB with a long injury history and a tendency to fail at the worst times ever turning that corner. The issue? Is there a QB out there via FA or draft that can represent that "very good-to-great" swing? Maybe not this offseason, no.

- Joe Marciano needs to go. Now. Special teams was good yesterday, perhaps the best they've been all season long. Danieal Manning was a monster on KR, the coverage units didn't allow any major breaks for the Pats return game. However, you can't judge a unit based on one game, and if we let the Pats game be the game in which we judge Marciano, we're missing on the biggest mistakes this team made this season. In essence, the season was "lost" the minute Deji Karim took that KO to the house in the Colts game this season, an untouched sprint right up the middle. That is unacceptable, and a glance of this season in a nutshell; The worst mistake at the worst possible time, one that was basically a dagger in the heart.

- Dammit, JUST when DeVier started to look like a monster. Man, the kid was showing some promise, and now...well another lost year for him, as the achillies heel tear is a nightmare injury to overcome. One side of me is willing to give Rick Smith some MAJOR props, because he saw something that nobody else saw and found a gem of a WR, someone who could of really placed himself in that 2nd tier of WRs one day, a fringe 15-20 guy. But...well, might be a long time before we see that. Might NEVER see that, actually. Injuries happen, sad to see it happen to a guy who was starting to find his NFL game...

- I need an APB on Ben Tate. WHERE the hell was he yesterday!? Arian Foster was having some tough times out there, his style of running wasn't working up until midway through the game. WHY the heck didn't we try another runner? Did we forget that Tate nearly broke 1,000 yards last season, and was a big part of our early start last year? Is the guy still hurt? Is Kubiak simply down on the guy? Whatever the hell the case is, we've gotta do SOMETHING with him. Play him or trade him, he does nothing for this team if he's collecting dust on the bench.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we are closer than we realize...Lets not lose sight of the 13 wins we had this season, not to mention the fact that we destroyed the Ravens and had we beaten the Pats would have a real shot at the Super Bowl.

Watching the game yesterday showed me 1 HUGE hole that possibly was the difference in a super bowl trip: Inside LineBacker

Our ILB core of James and Ruud was simply outmatched by the Pats and they exploited every part of it. They were not there in run support and we horrible in pass coverage

assuming that Cushing comes back and can play at a high level and we get Sharpton back healthy, we will be loads better at that vital spot in the line up, but we have to address depth. im thinking we go ILB with a first or 2nd round pick

Also i thought Schuab played a good game yesterday. He had the awful miss of Johnson on the first drive, but that play never should have happened. For most of the game Schuab was right on and our guys were dropping passes. A few times it even appeared that the Pats knew our plays, which isnt on Schuab at all. He threw the pick and got sacked once, but he did lead us on a huge comback attempt and the Defense couldnt get him the ball back. In fact when the Pats got the ball there at the end i know they were thinking they couldnt stop our offense.

1 player can make the difference in a game and in a season and Brian Cushing is that type of player. Losing him left us in a rough spot, one that we simply couldnt overcome. I know every team has to deal with injuries but that doesnt mean they arent the reason teams lose...look at the colts when they lost manning. Cushing was the leader and captain of our D and it was a HUGE blow

to be honest we did very well this season considering we lost half our offensive line in the off season and replaced them with scrubs, we lost key defensive players like Williams and Ryan as well as Cushing, Sharpton, McCain

we must got out and address some needs:
1. ILB
2. 3rd Saftey (Keo in there when the game mattered?)
3. RG/RT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: