You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft prospects?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
Quote:

ahh, good, now I understand your post better.

I'm not that worried about Williams being worn out actually. You have to remember, most of his strength is in the upper body and that is what he is using to put his will on the opposing offence. A upper body gets worn out faster then if you have a strong lower body to help it throughout the game. I think with some added strength to the lower body and some coaching more focused on him using the strength from his lower body together with his upper body, will make him last longer and also being a much more dominant force.

I do see Williams as the better player long term, for the same reason that you wrote. I think he will be the better player both in the 3-4 and 4-3 system but I still like him best in a 3-4. But right now, Jenkins is the better one and the safer pick as we both have stated before

Still my preference would be Floyd or Richardson over either. In a 4-3 obviously. I don't want to stay in the 3-4 because I dont want to spend another pick on olb. I am tired of drafting linebackers and ignoring other positions. If we remain in a 3-4 we still need a disruptive d lineman. Just draft the d lineman and return to the 4-3.

Last edited by Football Mensa on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defintly can understand that argument. I'm not that high on the idea of changing completely to a 4-3, but to a extent i'm on board with it. Especially if we keep Ratliff.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Mensa wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:

ahh, good, now I understand your post better.

I'm not that worried about Williams being worn out actually. You have to remember, most of his strength is in the upper body and that is what he is using to put his will on the opposing offence. A upper body gets worn out faster then if you have a strong lower body to help it throughout the game. I think with some added strength to the lower body and some coaching more focused on him using the strength from his lower body together with his upper body, will make him last longer and also being a much more dominant force.

I do see Williams as the better player long term, for the same reason that you wrote. I think he will be the better player both in the 3-4 and 4-3 system but I still like him best in a 3-4. But right now, Jenkins is the better one and the safer pick as we both have stated before.

Still my preference would be Floyd or Richardson over either. In a 4-3 obviously. I don't want to stay in the 3-4 because I dont want to spend another pick on olb. I am tired of drafting linebackers and ignoring other positions. If we remain in a 3-4 we still need a disruptive d lineman. Just draft the d lineman and return to the 4-3.[/quote]

I have to say I'm with Mensa on the switch back to 4-3. I think we have most of the personnel for it already and it would allow us to rely more on our front 4 to get pressure, a la the Bears and Bengals.

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we pass on DL in the first round, I think Margus Hunt could be very intriguing in the second.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
If we pass on DL in the first round, I think Margus Hunt could be very intriguing in the second.

I would say that if he's avalible at our pick (and we took a guard in the 1st), we have to take him. I really do like that guy.
J_Rowskee_DC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft prospects? Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
So, I am just starting to look at potential targets at need positions for the first round. I don't follow a lot of college football, but I enjoy reading a bunch of scouting reports during the offseason. Any Who, I wanted to get some feed back:

I am lumping prospects into three groups:

1 - Need Positions - OG, RT, NT
2 - Upgrade Positions - S, DE, C, OLB*
3 - Depth Positions - RB, CB, QB, OLB*

*OLB is dependent on Spencer*

1. Who will be available at our first round pick in group 1 or 2?

OG - Warmack, Cooper
RT - Matthews, Fisher
NT - Jenkins, Hankins, Williams

S - Vaccaro, Reid
DE - Richardson
C - Jones
OLB - Jordan

2. Who will be available at pick 2 and 3 out of any the above?

3. Preference/Rankings of the above players?

Please help me complete this list, any scouting reports or sleepers we should keep an eye on?

1) Doubt Warmack will be there at #18
2) Matthews is not coming out according to all my Aggie friends as he will be a Top 5 pick next year. He is moving to LT after this season.
3).Don't see all the love for Vaccaro considering he played for an average defense, and UT players track record in the NFL. Give me Reid in the 2nd or Elam in the 1st.
4). I would like to see the Cowboys look at Porter from Texas A&m at OLB. A more well rounded OLB
5) I would love if the Cowboys could get Richardson.

This should be an interesting off season for the Cowboys.

I would have to say that UT actually can produce "reasonable" talent in the secondary. Earl Thomas, who is a pro-bowler this year, is probably the flashiest name to come out, but the Griffin brothers still contribute to their NFL teams. You can't completely disregard a prospect, just because of the talent history. Defense is more than just one player, if one guy doesn't do his assignment, it makes everyone else's job more difficult. Now, this doesn't mean I love Vacarro. I personally, want to draft in the trenches and feel like there's solid talent in the later rounds for a safety.

thanks to Joe_is_the_best
JWingate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Draft prospects? Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
buckwild wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
So, I am just starting to look at potential targets at need positions for the first round. I don't follow a lot of college football, but I enjoy reading a bunch of scouting reports during the offseason. Any Who, I wanted to get some feed back:

OG - Warmack, Cooper
RT - Matthews, Fisher

S - Vaccaro, Reid
DE - Richardson
C - Jones
OLB - Jordan

Please help me complete this list, any scouting reports or sleepers we should keep an eye on?

2) Matthews is not coming out according to all my Aggie friends as he will be a Top 5 pick next year. He is moving to LT after this season.
3).Don't see all the love for Vaccaro considering he played for an average defense, and UT players track record in the NFL. Give me Reid in the 2nd or Elam in the 1st.
4). I would like to see the Cowboys look at Porter from Texas A&m at OLB. A more well rounded OLB

1.) Guards slide. Everyone thought Decastro would go top 20, too.
2.) Smart decision on his part.
3.) Agreed. Elam is the only 1st round caliber safety IMO.
4.) Don't like Porter. Too soft. Average pass rusher. Good coverage ability though.
5.) Ditto. And I think he could be there at our pick or close to it.

Warmack is a better prospect than Decastro, and I would say they really are not close in my opinion. I feel Warmack is the Andrew Luck of this draft.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Draft prospects? Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
buckwild wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

OG - Warmack, Cooper
RT - Matthews, Fisher

S - Vaccaro, Reid
DE - Richardson
C - Jones
OLB - Jordan

1.) Guards slide. Everyone thought Decastro would go top 20, too.
2.) Smart decision on his part.
3.) Agreed. Elam is the only 1st round caliber safety IMO.
4.) Don't like Porter. Too soft. Average pass rusher. Good coverage ability though.
5.) Ditto. And I think he could be there at our pick or close to it.

Warmack is a better prospect than Decastro, and I would say they really are not close in my opinion. I feel Warmack is the Andrew Luck of this draft.
ya no... Warmack is great but I don't think he compares to a once in 20 years player at the most important position in the game.
JWingate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a freak, better than any prospect at the position I have been able to see. Could walk in as best OG in the game.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Draft prospects? Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:

Even if he is, OG is the least valued position on the offensive line, and there hasn't been an OG selected in the top 15 of the draft in decades. Warmack will slide because of the position he plays, not because of a lack of ability.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
buckwild

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft prospects? Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:

Even if he is, OG is the least valued position on the offensive line, and there hasn't been an OG selected in the top 15 of the draft in decades. Warmack will slide because of the position he plays, not because of a lack of ability.

Mike Pouncey-2011 drafted#15
Mike Iupati-2010 drafted #17
Branden Albert-2008 drafted #15( Got moved to OT)
Carey, Vernon 2004-#19
Hutchenson,Steve 2001 #17

With many teams having OL problems such as Rams, Eagles, Bears, and Chargers. It would be ignorant to think that it is a certanity that Warmack will be there when the Cowboys pick at #18. I think S and DL are better values in the 1st, but I'm taking to the DCRA that believe only good OL can be picked in the first round, right. Not all Pro bowl OL are taken in the 1st round, but just have to do your homework in the later round. Quit doing Pizza commericials, and actually do some scouting so we can have a player drafted after the 4th round be able to contribute to the team. Rather than staeling checks while never being active on the game day roster.(Ex. David Arkin)

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft prospects? Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:

Carey, Vernon 2004-#19

With many teams having OL problems such as Rams, Eagles, Bears, and Chargers. It would be ignorant to think that it is a certanity that Warmack will be there when the Cowboys pick at #18. I think S and DL are better values in the 1st, but I'm taking to the DCRA that believe only good OL can be picked in the first round, right. Not all Pro bowl OL are taken in the 1st round, but just have to do your homework in the later round. Quit doing Pizza commericials, and actually do some scouting so we can have a player drafted after the 4th round be able to contribute to the team. Rather than staeling checks while never being active on the game day roster.(Ex. David Arkin)

My bad. I meant to put Top 10. Thank you for catching that. Even still, I expect him to slip. Now that doesn't mean he'll fall to us at 18, but I'd seriously doubt that a team will select him in the top 15.

And I completely agree that a good portion of the problem with our "evaluation" of o-linemen is that there simply isn't any. Jerry has gone out of his way to get them on the cheap as often as possible over the last 20+ years, and only now is he beginning to realize how poorly that works. The problem is that we don't appear to have a staff capable of recognizing those mid-to-late round guys who really have the potential to play.

Northland wrote:
ThaBoyzAndThaU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Draft prospects? Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
JWingate wrote:

Carey, Vernon 2004-#19

Pouncey is a Center and Albert was drafted to play OT, you actually have to go back to 1997 when the last OG was drafted in the top 15 and then only two have gone top 18 after that, not saying Warmack will be there but it's still very rare for them to go top 15-18.

Sig by delphem
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive updated the first page. Does this look about right to everyone? Any other suggestions?

This gives me a good list of people that I need to read their draft reports:

Quote:

OG - Warmack, Cooper
RT - Fisher

S - Vaccaro, Reid, Elam
DE - Richardson
C - Jones
OLB - Jordan

2. Who are targets for the second and third round?
Phillip Thomas FS Fresno
John Simon 3-4 OLB Ohio State
Shariff Floyd DT Fla
DJ Swearinger S South Carolina
Travis Frederick C Wisconsin
Margus Hunt, DE

1. Warmack
2. Matthews
3. Richardson
4. Cooper
5. Vaccaro
6. Jordan
7. Hankins
8. Fisher
9. Reid
10. Jones
11. Williams
12. Jenkins

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would not suck if we drafted Warmack and Floyd in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Northland wrote:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: