Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vontae Deal better for Colts than expected
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Vontae Deal better for Colts than expected Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/06/vontae-davis-trade-a-better-deal-than-colts-expected/

Yes, he was hurt for a lot of the year, but that means no 6th rounder for us, and the Colts kicked butt and are giving us a low second, and could be close to a third if they win today.

I was never as high on Vontae as a lot of people were, but I also didn't think Ireland made a great trade when he let Davis go. It hurt our secondary this year and with the Colts performing well, we will have a low 2nd round pick for a 1st round selection that should have been about to peak.
carlos2104

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of get the trade, I understand it somewhat. However, I wish we wouldn't have made it.
MIAMI54

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably more about character and work ethic than talent.
Niedermaier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time i thought it was a bad trade, however i dont think keeping him on the roster would have added a W to the record. We subtracted from a position of need that we still need to fix this offseason. At the time no one expected to be watching the Colts in the Wildcard round and hindsights 20/20. Maybe we might be able to use that pick to move around on draft day or to pick up a WR or CB that slips. As for how poor he did this season, a lot of that can be attributed to being traded to a new team in week 4 of the preseason. However the question we need to ask is: can we get a better player than Vonte with that late pick in the second round? With Ireland at the helms, our only hope is that Philben has a lot of say with who we pick his draft or none if his will matter when you cant properly scout NFL caliber players. One last thought on Vonte: he could really only play man coverage and possibly may have not been smart enough to pick up on our new zone coverage we had run this season. Hopfully we have a plan for schemes on both sides of the ball goig into his offseason and we draft accordingly and with a purpose and not just BPA.

Will we ever address the Guard position?

ADOPT-A-PHIN:

#30 Chris Clemons, SS, Miami Dolphins, 2013 Stats

49 TACKLES | 23 ASSISTS | 1 INT | 7 PASSES DEFENDED | 4 STUFF YARDS
carlos2104

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIAMI54 wrote:
It was probably more about character and work ethic than talent.
Agreed. Plus the scheme thing that Niedermaier noted. However, I would have preferred to stay in a man to man D.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a bad trade from a value perspective. Miami turns a low first round pick into a low second round pick. I get the work ethic thing but it was a bad trade when comparing apples to apples. Had MIami gotten the 6th rounder, that would have helped equalize it but that did not occur. Spin it however you want but Davis performed well when in shape. I also know Miami would not hav been able to sig both he and Smith. For that purpose, the trade makes sense.
daniel3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He seemed back to his old antics in today's game. Gave up a couple big plays.
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vontae has been bad for the Colts. Don't see how this wasn't a good trade. There are much better CB's in the second on a cheaper 4 year deal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vontae was god awful for 13 weeks WHEN he played. Value wise the Dolphins got a pretty good return. If the pick was top 15 in the second round it would be excellent value.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
ProudDolphan47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
Vontae was god awful for 13 weeks WHEN he played. Value wise the Dolphins got a pretty good return. If the pick was top 15 in the second round it would be excellent value.

I think it's hilarious that you're still rocking a Vontae sig btw Laughing

Warpticon wrote:
I think Mike Wallace made a mistake because *throws turd at wall*
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The move was made by Ireland, therefore it is a horrible one, regardless of any other information.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on injuries and his mental makeup, if Ireland had tried to trade him before the upcoming draft, we probably are lucky to get a 3rd or 4th rounder.
He has done nothing to change that.

We need another starting calibre CB but not at the expense of VD would do. Laughing

If we can land a #1 CB, push Smith to a #2, it translates to better matchups for us at that position. Problem is, Smith isn't a great #1 CB so the trading of VD looks worse than it is.

I wish the kid well and hope he goes onto have a great career but I don't see it for awhile. We run Jake down for being injured, VD is always got some issue.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG OMG He was player of the week it was a terrible trade. Vonte was terrible and at one point he was rated by profootballfocus as the 2nd worst CB when thrown his way.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had the patience I would go back and pull up the thread from about one year ago in this very forum that had over half of our posters claiming that Vontae Davis was the single best defensive player on the Dolphins roster and the future of our franchise. Now, its considered a decent deal that we got a low second rounder for him?

Beyond that, its pretty clear we took a first round selection from just 4 years ago and got a low second rounder for him in exchange. Corners should be peaking at around 4 years into their NFL careers. How anyone can consider that a win for the Dolphins is beyond me.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
If I had the patience I would go back and pull up the thread from about one year ago in this very forum that had over half of our posters claiming that Vontae Davis was the single best defensive player on the Dolphins roster and the future of our franchise. Now, its considered a decent deal that we got a low second rounder for him?

Beyond that, its pretty clear we took a first round selection from just 4 years ago and got a low second rounder for him in exchange. Corners should be peaking at around 4 years into their NFL careers. How anyone can consider that a win for the Dolphins is beyond me.
I do not consider it a succesful draft pick but do not think the trade was bad if that makes any sense. Now that I think of it im not sure it makes sense but I feel like we manged to salvage a very respectable pick out of a bad pick tht wasnt going to really ever be a pro bowl player and would be entering free agency soon. He showed up hungover last year and for a brand new coach he showed up out of shape

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: