Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

now to the offseason...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 88, 89, 90  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier: "There's no question we feel much better about the results of this season. That's what you want to do, you want to keep improving every single year. I think that we have so many first- and second-year guys that contributed to our success this season, that if we can add a few more pieces to the puzzle, we have a chance to really take another leap. We have to do our work this offseason in shoring up some areas and making sure that we improve again."

"We have some guys that are free agents. We'll have to determine which guys we want to bring back, which guys are not going to be back with us, which is one of the hardest things in this league. Then we have to move on and start getting ready for this draft. We have to start learning about these college players and get a feel for who might fit what we're trying to get done. That will be a long, hard task ahead of us."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/185826592.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders fan here. I think you guys should trade for Palmer. It would help us with cap but I think it would help your team more with where you are at. With that line, defense and AP it would be a nice addition.

Update: Sorry saw this was already discussed in another thread. Dont mind me.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Raiders fan here. I think you guys should trade for Palmer. It would help us with cap but I think it would help your team more with where you are at. With that line, defense and AP it would be a nice addition.

Update: Sorry saw this was already discussed in another thread. Dont mind me.

No thanks. We've had enough of the "mediocre old QB with no upside" merry-go-round. Ponder is the guy for better or worse. He's shown improvement, and he played his best football when it was needed most. He's earned another shot next year. If he sucks completely, we draft a new one in 2014. No sense in giving up draft picks for Palmer. He's overpriced, old, and is just as prone to turning the ball over as Ponder.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Regardless if he is or isnt a free agent, $5-7 million is still way too much for Williams.

I disagree. $5-$7M is an extremely reasonable amount for a player like Williams, especially when you see guys like McCoy, Suh, and Ngata making twice that amount. Heck, even old man Richard Seymour is making $7.5M.

According to PFF, he was the 10th best DT in the NFL this year...that salary makes him about the 10th-12th highest paid DT. That sounds about right.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Blink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised to see you guys hopeful for so much turnover after a playoff season. I would've expected you'd want to keep continuity so you can build off of a positive season.

Even if the new guys are supposed upgrades, things can take awhile to align if you have a lot of new pieces.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
I'm surprised to see you guys hopeful for so much turnover after a playoff season. I would've expected you'd want to keep continuity so you can build off of a positive season.

Even if the new guys are supposed upgrades, things can take awhile to align if you have a lot of new pieces.

The rebuild should continue, so that we can put together a string of playoff appearances. I also dont think we think there will be a big drop off in production with many of these changes. We entered this season with many holes still on this roster, and we finished the season with the same holes. No one really stepped up that we didnt expect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:

Some guys are far more realistic than others. Some seem to think that you can plug in rookie 5th round draft choices for aging vets and expect no drop off in production. Others think that you can replace half the starters on one side of the ball and expect immediate and improved results. It's a product of the Madden phenomenon. Smile

In reality, you can't expect to replace your best Cornerback, your starting MLB, your multiple time Pro Bowl DT, and your starting OLB and expect to have the same success on Defense.

On the Offensive side of the ball, I don't think people are advocating as much change, other than to overhaul the Wide Receivers. I think that the team would stand a far better chance of succeeding with massive changes here because, outside of Percy Harvin, there really isn't one #1 or #2 caliber guy on the roster.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... RGIII and Andrew Luck walk in to a bar...

to watch Russell Wilson in the playoffs.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
joru1000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we keep Kevin Williams and Antoine Winfield and I don't care about restructuring them. We are paying more for less in other players. I don't want Harvin traded - that just sets us back to two receivers we need to draft or sign. Both Henderson and Brinkley need to go. Charlie Johnson is upgradable. John Carlson needs to be cut. I would like another young safety somewhere in the first 4 rounds to replace Raymond/Sanford.[/list]
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are your free agents for you mockers out there, and just those interested parties

Quote:
Felton is one of 10 who can become unrestricted free agents in March. The others are: receivers Devin Aromashodu and Jerome Simpson; offensive linemen Phil Loadholt, Joe Berger and Geoff Schwartz, linebackers Brinkley, Erin Henderson and Marvin Mitchell; and safety Jamarca Sanford.

Offensive lineman Troy Kropog and Jefferson can be restricted free agents. Sherels and Andrew Sendejo can be exclusive rights free agents. The team re-signed its entire practice squad to reserve/futures deals on Monday, putting 52 players under contract for 2013.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_want_to_keep_Jerome_Felton_one_of_14_unsigned_for_next_season010713

disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of that list, here's who I expect to be back:

Phil Loadholt
Jerome Felton
Geoff Schwartz
Jamarca Sanford
Possibly either Brinkley or Henderson (not both, but likely neither)

Thx to Uncle Buck!
biggsohnasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
Blink wrote:

Some guys are far more realistic than others. Some seem to think that you can plug in rookie 5th round draft choices for aging vets and expect no drop off in production. Others think that you can replace half the starters on one side of the ball and expect immediate and improved results. It's a product of the Madden phenomenon. Smile

In reality, you can't expect to replace your best Cornerback, your starting MLB, your multiple time Pro Bowl DT, and your starting OLB and expect to have the same success on Defense.

On the Offensive side of the ball, I don't think people are advocating as much change, other than to overhaul the Wide Receivers. I think that the team would stand a far better chance of succeeding with massive changes here because, outside of Percy Harvin, there really isn't one #1 or #2 caliber guy on the roster.

Talking about Kevin Williams as a multiple pro bowl DT is exactly the problem. He isnt that guy anymore. He's a nice player, but at this point is NOT a pro bowl caliber DT. Replacing your starting MLB and OLB is extremely doable considering neither has been all that productive and both have rotated as 2 and 3 down players anyways.

I hope we dont lose Williams, but I do think we need to replace him, as in replace the role he is playing in as the UT. Kevin should be at this point transitioning towards becoming more of a rotation player.
AQuintus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:

Replacing Williams (who is no longer a pro bowl guy, so there's no point in mentioning that) and Winfield might result in a drop off in play, at least for a little while.

Replacing Brinkley and Henderson, who are both terrible, probably won't.

Edit:

disaacs wrote:
Of that list, here's who I expect to be back:

Phil Loadholt
Jerome Felton
Geoff Schwartz
Jamarca Sanford
Possibly either Brinkley or Henderson (not both, but likely neither)

Good list. The only one I might disagree with is Shwartz because Pelissero said the other day that he's not happy with his backup role. It's entirely possible, though, that with Joe Berger gone, Fusco moves to backup C (where he played in college) and Shwartz is convinced to stay with the starting spot open.
arKnaD7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the 2013 PFF Free Agency Tracker, a great resource

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/07/2013-pff-free-agency-tracker/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
Check out the 2013 PFF Free Agency Tracker, a great resource

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/07/2013-pff-free-agency-tracker/

Thunder thief!

I was planning on using that to base a mock on. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 3 of 90

Jump to: