Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

the future of Joe Webb is...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: the future of Joe Webb is...? Reply with quote

so guys... no one responded to this when i brought it up last night -

why not convert Joe Webb back to a wr? no, he would not become our #1 or 2 option out on the field, but since so many guys feel he'll never be a Viking QB and perhaps even cut from the team, why not have him catch the ball and run with it?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB, return man, or WR. He has no chance to be a QB in this league.

And, not a Viking, I think.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Vikings move on from him (off squad).

At the end of the day, he will be remembered by this game (even tho he is not directly blamed for it given the circumstances), if he were to remain a Viking.

Last edited by CriminalMind on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webb will be cut and out performed by MBT in camp at QB. MBT should have been the primary backup QB all along.

Webb is simply atrocious as a QB.

His best bet is catching on with a team who thinks they can get him involved in a Brad Smith type role.
Vikes_Bolts1228

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: the future of Joe Webb is...? Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
so guys... no one responded to this when i brought it up last night -

why not convert Joe Webb back to a wr? no, he would not become our #1 or 2 option out on the field, but since so many guys feel he'll never be a Viking QB and perhaps even cut from the team, why not have him catch the ball and run with it?

I think that's the problem...

He can't catch the ball.

Remember the short Webb at WR experiment last season? Obviously the coaches see something that tells them he won't be a WR or else they probably would have kept Sage and MBT with Webb at WR.

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
milanb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Webb will be an easy scapegoat for the playoff loss.

He'll be traded or released unless Frazier steps in and asks that Webb be kept around for another year.

I can see him catching on with another team and getting his shot eventually. 2012 was something of a speed bump in his career and he needs to learn from it and move forward.

Sad

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible idea. He'd be a worse WR than Devin Hester.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:

He'll be traded or released unless Frazier steps in and asks that Webb be kept around for another year.

I can see him catching on with another team and getting his shot eventually. 2012 was something of a speed bump in his career and he needs to learn from it and move forward.

Sad

Why so sad?

Webb had an opportunity and looked completely lost out there in the pocket. Webb is a glorified Spergon Wynn at the end of the day, with rare athleticism to actually make a position switch. That is where Webb's future has to be, he needs to play in an offense where he can get his hands on the ball. More so as a runner than a receiver. Throw him bubble screens, or let him run a few draw plays as a RB. I just dont see any way he makes the move to being a traditional WR.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What degree did he graduate with from UAB?

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll say i don't think the Vikings abandon Webb, but he'll be a career backup that will see very little gametime over the years. nor do i think last night's game will be a reasoning to remove him from the roster.

Frazier is a loyal kind of guy, and Webb has played better than he did last night, showing he at least had it in him at one time to do so.

he was put in to a hard spot. does he deserve to be the team's starter? i'd say not. does he deserve to be cut because of one rotten performance? i'd say not.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:

Sad

How in any way is he a scapegoat? He held the entire offense back last night and lacked poise and accuracy which is something you constantly criticize Ponder for. He proved to be what I've always thought he was: An athlete we tried to turn into a QB but he just isn't capable of that not as a consistant starter. He's a gadget player nothing more.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

"No! try not! Do or do not. There is no try.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not enough to just be an athlete in the NFL, you need some positional skills. As I just stated in the Ponder thread, there are plenty of great athletes that can't cut it in the NFL, I don't see Webb's position of value anywhere outside of Special Teams at this point.

His best chance of making it in the NFL would of been to many years ago develop him in the defensive secondary but that ship has long since sailed. I understand why he has pursued the positions he has but now the NFL is just a level too high for him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webb had some atrocious throws. One will bring up that Ponder struggled at first as well. Well why would we start over with Webb when Ponder is already 2 years in. As for what the team does with him, it depends on what they see on the tape and pervious practices. I wonder if its a confirmation of how they felt about his skill or just wrong place wrong time type of deal. I think he will be back for Camp like VR said and if they are going to let him go, it will be then.

XBL/PSN: Chainedsniper
milanb

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
milanb wrote:

Sad

Why so sad?

Webb had an opportunity and looked completely lost out there in the pocket. Webb is a glorified Spergon Wynn at the end of the day.

Because I still think Webb has a chance to put it all together.

I never get that sense with Ponder, who has shown no sign of becoming anything more than a bottom-tier starter in a Rex Grossman / Matt Cassell sort of way.

Unfortunately it's just the way it is in the NFL. Three years into his career, Webb still looks like he's a couple of years away, and you don't usually have that long to prove yourself.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
this providence

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His athleticism will allow him to kick around for a year so in this league but ultimately there just isn't a position for him in the NFL. Seems like a good guy and all but it is what it is.

Vikings can't afford to go into next season with him as a back-up option to Ponder. They need a more viable option to push Ponder for his job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: