Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Elam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
TVScout wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Can Elam play NT or play on the o-line? If the answer is "no", then we have no reason to pick him in the 1st or 2nd round. As talented as he is, a DB will not make the men in front of him better. D-linemen make DBs better, but DBs don't, and never will, make d-linemen better.

Not entirely accurate because of the coverage sack. I remember 1996 when Haley was out, Sanders was in and we had the #2 defense that year. Admittedly Elam is no Sanders but when you compare the revolving door at safety to what we could get in the draft...............

First, you realize that you just compared a college Safety to a HOF CB, right? Not only did you compare two players on totally different talent levels, but totally different positions. Second, there's no such thing as a coverage sack. I don't buy it and never will. That's NEVER a valid reason to take a Safety over a d-lineman. Ever. The fact remains that a Safety will not make the players around him better. D-linemen will. And when you can't consistently stop the run because your linemen are getting barreled over, a Safety is not going to fix that problem. All that does is allow an offense to shred your secondary because you have fewer men in coverage.

All though I agree with the premise, there most certaintily have been safeties who raise the play of the entire defense.

Dawkins
Woodson
Lynch
Sanders, bob

Weddle
Polamalu
Reed

Have all proven this. When they miss time, there is a noticible decline in the entire defense.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
TVScout wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Can Elam play NT or play on the o-line? If the answer is "no", then we have no reason to pick him in the 1st or 2nd round. As talented as he is, a DB will not make the men in front of him better. D-linemen make DBs better, but DBs don't, and never will, make d-linemen better.

Not entirely accurate because of the coverage sack. I remember 1996 when Haley was out, Sanders was in and we had the #2 defense that year. Admittedly Elam is no Sanders but when you compare the revolving door at safety to what we could get in the draft...............

First, you realize that you just compared a college Safety to a HOF CB, right? Not only did you compare two players on totally different talent levels, but totally different positions. Second, there's no such thing as a coverage sack. I don't buy it and never will. That's NEVER a valid reason to take a Safety over a d-lineman. Ever. The fact remains that a Safety will not make the players around him better. D-linemen will. And when you can't consistently stop the run because your linemen are getting barreled over, a Safety is not going to fix that problem. All that does is allow an offense to shred your secondary because you have fewer men in coverage.

All though I agree with the premise, there most certaintily have been safeties who raise the play of the entire defense.

Dawkins
Woodson
Lynch
Sanders, bob

Weddle
Polamalu
Reed

Have all proven this. When they miss time, there is a noticible decline in the entire defense.

True, but you understand the premise. It's better to build from the inside out rather than from the outside in. Much like building a home, you need a great foundation and solid walls before adding the expensive furniture.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
TVScout

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pick for need. Pick for effect. The first round rated DLs in this draft don't fit the system. Players like Hankins and Williams will fail here because they can't penetrate. Elam would do much more for us.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
Don't pick for need. Pick for effect. The first round rated DLs in this draft don't fit the system. Players like Hankins and Williams will fail here because they can't penetrate. Elam would do much more for us.

We need to pick BPA within the context of a weaker position of our team.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of positions that can be upgraded. As I mentioned in the other thread, I would be happy with the BPA at any of the following:

1 - Need Positions - OG, RT, NT
2 - Upgrade Positions - S, DE, C, OLB*

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:

I pick for talent. Jonathan Jenkins, Sheldon Richardson, Chance Warmack, and Barrett Jones are all more talented. I'd take any of them over a Safety.

Northland wrote:
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
TVScout wrote:

I pick for talent. Jonathan Jenkins, Sheldon Richardson, Chance Warmack, and Barrett Jones are all more talented. I'd take any of them over a Safety.

Wow, twice in 1 day I am agreeing with Plan. What is the world coming to?

Yes, it would be nice to have a quality Safety that can actually make open field tackles and cover people. Is that going to fix the horrid offensive line? Nope. Is a Safety going to help with the gaping hole at NT? Not so much. We need to fix what is desperately needed before we start making luxury picks.

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
TVScout wrote:

Yes, it would be nice to have a quality Safety that can actually make open field tackles and cover people. Is that going to fix the horrid offensive line? Nope. Is a Safety going to help with the gaping hole at NT? Not so much. We need to fix what is desperately needed before we start making luxury picks.

Come on, ht. You know that we agree on a lot more than that, especially when it comes to the draft.

Northland wrote:
htfryar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
htfryar wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
TVScout wrote:

Come on, ht. You know that we agree on a lot more than that, especially when it comes to the draft.

The draft is 1 thing you and I usually do agree on. I think a team should address the trenches early and often.

“Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.”
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more impossible it is to justify taking a safety in round 1. And that stings, because pretty much every year I want to land a stud safety. Unfortunately our team is not in the position to afford that luxury. We need some linemen on both sides of the ball. Bad.

Considering that linemen seem to be a very solid group in this draft, I can only see two justifications for not coming out of rounds 1 and 2 with an OL and a DL (I'm not saying these scenarios are great, just that I could understand)

1) A pass rusher is far and away the best player on the board (perhaps Jarvis Jones in round 1 or Ansah in round 2)

2) We fall in love with a quarterback. If this happens, I really hope it's not a Jerry Jones driven thing. I hope the scouts fell in love with one of the guys, and convinced the brass to take him given the opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I agree, I am just playing devils advocate. Here is some food for thought-

Last year Jerry said if we had not traded for mo cla, we would have drafted brockers and Wagner. Both appear to be studs. That, along with our last couple drafts tell me that we have become much better at finding early round talent.

If they draft a safety and are convinced he is the bpa - would you be upset?

plan9misfit wrote:

canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only DL guy I'll take in the first round is John Jenkins.

And I would have to agree with matt. I was just thinking about that pretty much the whole season. Either way we would have hit the jackpot. That's a really good sign in our drafting skills lately. I don't know what happned but ever since that 2009 Draft it propelled this team into the top 5 scouting departments in the league the past 2 or 3 years.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Although I agree, I am just playing devils advocate. Here is some food for thought-

Last year Jerry said if we had not traded for mo cla, we would have drafted brockers and Wagner. Both appear to be studs. That, along with our last couple drafts tell me that we have become much better at finding early round talent.

Would I be upset? It would depend on how the rest of the draft goes. If we ignore o-line and d-line until rounds 4-6, yes, I'd be pissed. But if we address them in rounds 2 and 3 and pull some quality linemen in those two rounds, then I'd be ok with the selection.

Northland wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

If it was clear BPA, I don't think you could argue it. But if you have 2 very similarly rated players, it's time to address the trenches.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone think Brad Wing Punter from LSU is a possibility? The kind of field position he can give our defence would be great. Maybe grab him 5th or 6th ?

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.
TVScout

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
TVScout wrote:

Warmack and Jones I will agree with. But....... Jonathan Jenkins can't penetrate and wears down because he is too fat. Richardson was rated the #1 DT prospect coming out of high school but has had only one good season in college and is a candidate as a "heavy pocket" bust. Go on take the money and run...........

What happens if Chance and Barret are gone when we are up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: