Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Elam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HDsportsfan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShineOnStar wrote:
Blknite01 wrote:
You aren't allowed to have him sorry.

You gonna trade up for him? HA! Stop being so jealous about us losing! Better luck at not winning next time! Twisted Evil

Man being a Cowboys fan sucks these days.

When that's your best arguement....yes it does. Laughing
canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Jefferson declared for the draft. We can prob get him in round 2 or 3.

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also turning out be a pretty decent Safety class for prospects in the 2nd-5th round range, so I wouldn't go crazy over a Safety early unless he was clearly the BPA ahead of o-line and d-line. But given the depth and talent in those areas in the first 2 rounds, I'd be hard pressed to say that a Safety should take precedence.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
atran35

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLINE OLINE OLINE OLINE OLINE.
ware94

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first 2 picks need to be spent on positions ending in -fensive line. Period.
NCAA- Auburn Tigers
Football Mensa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ware94 wrote:
The first 2 picks need to be spent on positions ending in -fensive line. Period.

THIS
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ware94 wrote:

X2.

The only exception I would make would be if Jarvis Jones falls to us. Which he won't.

Northland wrote:
canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
ware94 wrote:

X2.

The only exception I would make would be if Jarvis Jones falls to us. Which he won't.

I didnt think we had a chance for claiborne at all. Who knows

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
atran35

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="canadaluvsdalla"][quote="plan9misfit"][quote="ware94"]The first 2 picks need to be spent on positions ending in -fensive line. Period.[/quote]

X2.

The only exception I would make would be if Jarvis Jones falls to us. Which he won't.[/quote]

I didnt think we had a chance for claiborne at all. Who knows[/quote]

With the needs this current team have we cannot afford to give up multiple draft picks to pick up a player such as Jones.
J_Rowskee_DC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not taking anything away from Elam, but I'd much rather have Chance Warmack, Johnathan Cooper, Barrett Jones, or Johnathan Jenkins.

If Anthony Spencer leaves, and say Jarvis Jones falls...That's the only other scenario where I scratch my head other than the trenches. Not to mention, the draft is, for once, deep in the safety class. There's names like Eric Reid, Phillip Thomas, Bacarri Rambo, Robert Lester, Tony Jefferson, Kenny Vaccaro, and D.J. Swearinger. Since, OLB is considered a part of the front seven, and because our rushing defense was atrocious this season, (hopefully because of injuries) it's one of the only other positions I would consider in the first round other than trench help. Especially if Spencer goes elsewhere!

thanks to Joe_is_the_best
TVScout

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Can Elam play NT or play on the o-line? If the answer is "no", then we have no reason to pick him in the 1st or 2nd round. As talented as he is, a DB will not make the men in front of him better. D-linemen make DBs better, but DBs don't, and never will, make d-linemen better.

Not entirely accurate because of the coverage sack. I remember 1996 when Haley was out, Sanders was in and we had the #2 defense that year. Admittedly Elam is no Sanders but when you compare the revolving door at safety to what we could get in the draft...............
TVScout

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
TVScout wrote:
DKDALfan we don't use a true 2 gap NT. We don't even use a true 34. It is a hybrid formation where at least 2 DLs shoot gaps and the NT beats the center with agility and footwork more than brute strength. That guy can be found very late. As for interior O-line Travis Frederick is in the Draft and will be there with our #49.

I know that, but that's also what is wrong with the defence when we line up in the 3-4. Give me a true NT, who will occupy two gaps and I think that the whole defence will play better. The 3-4 is not meant to be using a 1 gap NT most of the time. Offcourse we don't use a 2 gap NT, when we don't have one who actually can play it. I did think that we used it some more with Brent on the field. Could be wrong, but that is how I remember seeing it.
- I think that Ratliff will be gone, he argued with the owner/GM and is overpaid and always injured. Then why should they try and look for another 1 gap NT? All that the 1 gap system has showen us is that it wears down the NT. Also after Ratliff started to actually play as a human being our D line has been nothing with using the 1 gap system. You can not just draft a 3rd or later rounder and expect him to play like Ratliff in his young days? I don't see Rob being against it, he used the 2 gap in Cleveland. So I see NO reason to hold on to the 1 gap NT.

And no, you can not just simply say that "that guy can be found very late". I would argue that there is much more reason to believe that there will be a safety who would have gone in the 2nd round every other year avalible in the 3rd, then a DT. the demand for DT's is just much bigger, and the safety class is deep (not that the DT class isn't, but again the demand for DT's are bigger). So I just don't see a reason to belive finding a top talent NT in the 3rd or later, as I see hope for finding a top two round talent safety.

The DT class is far deeper than Safety. See Bennie Logan, Abry Jones, et al.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Can Elam play NT or play on the o-line? If the answer is "no", then we have no reason to pick him in the 1st or 2nd round. As talented as he is, a DB will not make the men in front of him better. D-linemen make DBs better, but DBs don't, and never will, make d-linemen better.

Not entirely accurate because of the coverage sack. I remember 1996 when Haley was out, Sanders was in and we had the #2 defense that year. Admittedly Elam is no Sanders but when you compare the revolving door at safety to what we could get in the draft...............

First, you realize that you just compared a college Safety to a HOF CB, right? Not only did you compare two players on totally different talent levels, but totally different positions. Second, there's no such thing as a coverage sack. I don't buy it and never will. That's NEVER a valid reason to take a Safety over a d-lineman. Ever. The fact remains that a Safety will not make the players around him better. D-linemen will. And when you can't consistently stop the run because your linemen are getting barreled over, a Safety is not going to fix that problem. All that does is allow an offense to shred your secondary because you have fewer men in coverage.

Northland wrote:
atran35

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
ware94 wrote:

X2.

I didnt think we had a chance for claiborne at all. Who knows

With the needs this current team have we cannot afford to give up multiple draft picks to pick up a player such as Jones.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Matt Elam Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
BigDaddyGtr wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:
BigDaddyGtr wrote:
Football Mensa wrote:
BigDaddyGtr wrote:
I think Dallas should absolutely trade down 5 picks and draft him. Pick up an extra 4 th rd and get one of the best playmakers on defense and also at a position that the boys haven't had one since Darren Woodson. Have you watched Elam? He's everywhere and by draft time we might not even have the chance to draft him at 18. But if we can we absolutely should and then spend the 2 and 3 on oline and the 4 on a rb and 5 th on a project qb. Either way Elam will be a star in the nfl

Elam is a fantastic player. However I would need more than a 4th to move down 5 spots. Do you want Elam over Warmack ?

Yes cause we can get someone in 2 nd rd close to warmack but there in no safety in this draft even close to Elam. He is that good and will be an anchor on some teams defense for years to come IMO. And as far as a nt, we can find one later as we've seen before.

as far as I see it, there's only two true NT worth of starting left in this draft after Letolelei. John Jenkins and Jesse Williams. Both of which I see gone after the end of the 1st round or the start of the 2nd latest. Most of the other guys are either not starters or 1 gap guys IMO.

- This is a packed safety class. There will be a very good prospect in the 3rd, I'm sure. The game is more often then not won and lost in the trenches. What do I want, a true NT to effectively utilize the 3-4? A guard to keep Romo's ribs intact next season and give Murray some holes? Or a safety? For me, the answer is pretty clear. NT in the 1st and a guard in the 2nd. Safety can wait for the 3rd round. I think a guard who can effectively protect Romo can not wait to after the 2nd, since we have a opportunity to create a very strong left side of the line for years to keep our QB safe. A NT, even a 1 gapping shouldn't wait to after the 2nd either, since I really can't see who I would want in the middle of my D at that point.

Ok so keep thinking that and pass on a game changing ss who will dominate and possibly bring us another pick in the 3 or 4. But up to you though are you all tired of replacing Woodson? Elam immediately upgrades our def and the rest of draft can be spent on oline defline and a project qb and a back up rb which should be Barner or gillis lee That's the way we should go

JJ did think that way...hence u have Clairborne who we gave up a 1st and 2nd for. And our D couldn't stop the run cause we were using lesser round picks on the DLINE. Our NFC East opponents are going to rely on the run game more...Skins with Morris and Eagles with Brown/McCoy. Additionally, the Giants will go back to the running game.

Didn't you first say, we couldn't stop the run, because Brent and Ratliff were out, now you're saying it was because of a lack of talent? Didn't have anything to do with Lee and Bruce being out? So taking a safety will fix this? You waste a premium pick on one of the cheapest positions to sign in free agency? Are we giving up on Matt Johnson already?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: