Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Doug Marrone to coach Buffalo Bills
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giantsfan80

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
Giantsfan80 wrote:
Let me ask you guys....you expect him to go undefeated at Syracuse? You expect him to win every conference game? This isnt the SEC or PAC-10 where we're stashing 4 star guys. We are loaded with 2 star recruits ...every team excpt Stony Brook had more overall talent than us this year. You 2 clearly dont know much about the guy...let it go. Gell guve him one game at least..and if he wins you'll be calling him Lombardi.

I want to give him a chance, as a Cuse fan, as a guy who KNOWS what he did for that program I want to give him the chance.

But I'v heard this song and dance before, I had to convince myself that Chan Gailey was a good coach and we'd be fine
and it imploded.

Could he be a great coach? Yes. But right now this looks like a bad hire and a bad decision from a franchise that's had nothing but bad decisions for the past 20 years.

If your a Syracuse fan...why would you doubt him? Didnt you doubt him.when he came in? Did you think we would have 2 bowl wins in 4 years and put a QB into the NFL? What did he do last? Got it done.

Signature by Jamison
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Gene wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
This is such a Bills move. I really hope it works out but I don't know how you pass on Lovie Smith for Marrone. Jesus, Bills.
Probably because Lovie has proven to be a terrible in-game coach. We're talking about the guy who called a timeout to allow the Seahawks a chance to take a hail mary in the last 2 seconds of a tied playoff game when they were out of TOs themselves!

That terrible in game coach took his team to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman, 4 10+ win seasons in 9 years, a .500 career playoff record and a .563 career winning percentage. Basically, he's a pretty good HC.

And you passed on him for a guy who was 25-25 in his career at Syracuse.

Sorry, made no sense to me. Lovie is a proven HC that can build a great defense and win you games. I don't understand why you'd pass on that. His players all loved him too. This guy is like Dungy, only needs the right offense and he can build a perennial contender.

I do hope Marrone works out because I like the Bills but I really feel they made a mistake here.
I didn't pass on anyone. I'm not a Bills fan. Cool

Looks up Syracuse before Marrone got there, though. 25-25 is miraculous. I wouldn't have thought Vince Lombardi could have done that. The HC before him basically burned the roster to the ground and made it the joke of college football.

Lovie Smith: made the playoffs only 3 times in 9 years.
Lovie Smith: got to select three offensive coordinators. Failed to find one worth a damn.
Lovie Smith: insisted on building a run-first offense in a pass-first league for his first 5 years.
Lovie Smith: Second-worst clock management HC in the league.
Lovie Smith: worst challenge win/loss % in his time as a HC.
Lovie Smith: Builder of GOOD defense. not elite. Good.
Lovie Smith: not such a great playcaller. Was ordered by GM not to call plays himself after the 2009 debacle.
Lovie Smith: the guy responsible for using second and third round picks on Dan Bazuin and Jarron Gilbert (yep, not all of the Bears crappy picks were on Angelo).
Lovie Smith: the guy who sent a second round pick off to Tampa for a quickly-deceased DE that was already a bust.
Lovie Smith: huge practitioner of nepotism. See Babich, Drake, his own son.

From another board, so I don't have to describe it:

Quote:
I get that you guys wanted Lovie Smith. Lemme tell you a little story that will shed some light on just how good of an in-game coach he is...

2006, Divisional Round Playoff Game vs. Seahawks.
4th down, Seahawks around midfield. Game is tied at 24 with 2 seconds left in regulation. Seahawks have no timeouts and not enough time to get to the line and run a Hail Mary, so they're walking off the field to prepare for overtime.

LOVIE SMITH CALLS TIME OUT.

Hasselbeck attempts a Hail Mary to Nate Burleson. Luckily, he does not connect. The Bears go on to win it with a field goal in OT.

After the game, Lovie is asked about the time out one time with no follow-up. His response is basically "HURR DURR I WANTED THEM TO PUNT TO HESTER TO SEE IF HE COULD RUN ONE BACK."

If Seattle's Hail Mary had worked, everyone would remember this as the single dumbest in-game decision made by an NFL head coach, EVER. The man would have never gotten another Head Coach interview.
1. Wrong, he hired 2, Martz when he was the only person in the world who would accept the job b/c of the clear instability at HH at the time, the other Tice who was universally lauded and no one in their right mind would have guessed that an OL coach, who had been a run game coordinator at his previous stop would simply refuse to run the football. Terry Shea was hired by Jerry Angelo BEFORE Lovie Smith ever took the job. Ron Turner, his replacement, was Jerry Angelo's hand picked OC. Following the SuperBowl in 2006 Lovie rec'd the power to hire/fire his coaches as he saw fit.

2. This is entirely your opinion

3. I'd say the 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012 defenses would clearly prove you wrong

4. Wrong again, Lovie took over the defensive playcalling duties, against his own wishes in 2009, he intended Marinelli to be the DC, but he refused. Following the 2009 season Marinelli agreed to take over the DC role, was never ordered by Angelo to stop calling plays

5. While no one will ever really know who was responsible for which picks, the GM is responsible for all of them, he has the final say, and I find it very tough to believe that Lovie Smith wanted a player in Jarron Gilbert who didn't fit his scheme, or that he wanted that player and then NEVER played him. Henry Melton on the other hand is a known Lovie Smith pick from that draft.

6. EVERY COACH IN THE NFL HIRES PEOPLE THEY HAVE A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH. I for the life of me have never figured out why Bears fans think this is exclusive to Lovie.

Now as for the Seattle situation, it was a bad decision, it was tie game that was about to head into overtime. Hester had won several games for the Bears that year, they wanted to give him a shot to do it again.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
canadaluvsdalla wrote:
lol @ the people insulting Doug Marrone are clearly the ones that don't watch college football.

You guys have no idea how bad Syracuse was before he came in. Disgusting.

As a NFL fan living in Toronto and going to a Bills game every year here I'm excited they hired him and hope they bring in Ryan Nassib too. Both of them were perfect for eachother and I hope it continues in the NFL. and no I'm not a syracuse fan.

I blame Greg Robinson more for destroying it than Marrone for rebuilding it. Yes it was difficult, but it's not like recruiting to SU is or was impossible. They used to recruit VERY well.

Have to give the guy credit right? I mean he wouldn't be offered this job if he wasn't suitable for the job.

Building up from the mess Greg Robinson made with 2-3 star recruits is a helluva task and I applaud any coach who is even daring into go into that kind of mess Syracuse was in before he came in.

Who the heck cares about high profile. In the NFL its the business of making a name for yourself when your a nobody entering it. It's always been that way and I'm excited with the hiring of Marrone it will continue that way.

As for recuriting when the program stunk that much when he came in how are you going to convince a star 4star recruit out of highschool who is getting offers from good programs to pick a program like that which doesn't boast anything initially.

Jason Garrett wrote:
It's not about them, it's about us.

Last edited by canadaluvsdalla on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene wrote:

Looks up Syracuse before Marrone got there, though. 25-25 is miraculous. I wouldn't have thought Vince Lombardi could have done that. The HC before him basically burned the roster to the ground and made it the joke of college football.

That's not miraculous. James Franklin has started off 15-11 at Vanderbilt. That's a lot more miraculous.

Quote:

Didn't make it at 10-6 this year. Lost the final game to miss it at 9-7 a few years ago. Had his backup QBs flounder terribly so they didn't make the playoffs after starting 7-3. His average year was 9-7. I'm sure the Bills fans would be complaining about that.

Quote:
Lovie Smith: got to select three offensive coordinators. Failed to find one worth a damn.

No, he didn't. He selected 2. Turner was picked for him. And the OCs weren't the issue, the offensive talent was. Thank Jerry Angelo for that.

Quote:
Lovie Smith: insisted on building a run-first offense in a pass-first league for his first 5 years.

And...? That's what the 49ers have done. Seahawks too.

Quote:

I'm gonna go with no. Why don't you take a look at the Bears defense this year.

Quote:
Lovie Smith: not such a great playcaller. Was ordered by GM not to call plays himself after the 2009 debacle.
Lovie Smith: the guy responsible for using second and third round picks on Dan Bazuin and Jarron Gilbert (yep, not all of the Bears crappy picks were on Angelo).
Lovie Smith: the guy who sent a second round pick off to Tampa for a quickly-deceased DE that was already a bust.

Nearly every NFL HC is a practitioner of nepotism. The Rams staff is/was full of it.

And I love how you're sure every single one of those moves was on Smith. Frankly, I don't care. I've never once said give him personnel control. That's the point of having a GM.

Quote:

Quote:
I get that you guys wanted Lovie Smith. Lemme tell you a little story that will shed some light on just how good of an in-game coach he is...

4th down, Seahawks around midfield. Game is tied at 24 with 2 seconds left in regulation. Seahawks have no timeouts and not enough time to get to the line and run a Hail Mary, so they're walking off the field to prepare for overtime.

Hasselbeck attempts a Hail Mary to Nate Burleson. Luckily, he does not connect. The Bears go on to win it with a field goal in OT.

After the game, Lovie is asked about the time out one time with no follow-up. His response is basically "HURR DURR I WANTED THEM TO PUNT TO HESTER TO SEE IF HE COULD RUN ONE BACK."

If Seattle's Hail Mary had worked, everyone would remember this as the single dumbest in-game decision made by an NFL head coach, EVER. The man would have never gotten another Head Coach interview.

So he made a terrible call on the way to the Super Bowl but the Bears still won...I'm sure Bills fans would hate that. Hey Bills fans, how would you guys feel about Lovie Smith making a bad call in a playoff game that you guys win?

Giantsfan80 wrote:
Let me ask you guys....you expect him to go undefeated at Syracuse? You expect him to win every conference game? This isnt the SEC or PAC-10 where we're stashing 4 star guys. We are loaded with 2 star recruits ...every team excpt Stony Brook had more overall talent than us this year. You 2 clearly dont know much about the guy...let it go. Hell give him one game at least..and if he wins you'll be calling him Lombardi.

I want you to stop and consider this for a second. Marrone had a QB who will go in the first 4 rounds of the draft and was in the Big East. The best he could achieve was an 8-5 season.

James Franklin, at freaking Vanderbilt, has a QB who will get UDFA consideration at best and yet coached a team who won 9 games this year. They went 6-7 in his first year with a bowl loss.

You can't cry foul of talent. Plenty of coaches have made wine out of water with as much or less.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
jsnydes

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
jsnydes wrote:
green24 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
ukdolfan wrote:
Obviously the more high profile candidates didn't want to go to Buffalo.

Hows Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees?..

Gailey's Bills was able to beat your Phins, you can bank on Marrone doing it every year and getting the Bills to the playoffs before the dolphins.

The Dolphins are definitely closer than the Bills.

28-9. Where does that put the jets?

48-28. I can play that game too.

So is week 1 or week 17 a better measuring stick to where your team is right now?

TommyC376^^^
canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line is. No matter what people say. Be thankful bills fans you guys are in good hands !

Jason Garrett wrote:
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^
I saw yesterday that Franklin now has a 4* QB who turned down AL and GA to go to Vandy. Absolutely insane. Let's get this guy in the NFL.

jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^
I saw yesterday that Franklin now has a 4* QB who turned down AL and GA to go to Vandy. Absolutely insane. Let's get this guy in the NFL.

Yep. Franklin's players love him, he's really animated and is doing a flat out amazing job at Vandy. Franklin and Shoop(the DC) have made that team competitive despite being in the toughest conference in the NCAA with the same type of talent that Syracuse recruits.

And now you see that Franklin is even starting to recruit better talent.

canadaluvsdalla

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^

That's a rare case. He only went to vanderbilt because he felt like he wasn't going to get enough playing time elseware and he pretty much hated every SEC team and wanted to beat them lol. aka Jerry Rice story at college

Jonathan McCary. The kids got guts to pull that move.

But Yeah I like Franklin.

Jason Garrett wrote:
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^

Yep. Franklin's players love him, he's really animated and is doing a flat out amazing job at Vandy. Franklin and Shoop(the DC) have made that team competitive despite being in the toughest conference in the NCAA with the same type of talent that Syracuse recruits.

That can't be John Shoop, LOL. Altho if it is, it would make total sense, since he routinely stopped the Bears O himself as their OC Laughing

jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^

That can't be John Shoop, LOL. Altho if it is, it would make total sense, since he routinely stopped the Bears O himself as their OC Laughing

Nope, it's his brother, Bob.

marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:

I want to give him a chance, as a Cuse fan, as a guy who KNOWS what he did for that program I want to give him the chance.

But I'v heard this song and dance before, I had to convince myself that Chan Gailey was a good coach and we'd be fine and it imploded.

Could he be a great coach? Yes. But right now this looks like a bad hire and a bad decision from a franchise that's had nothing but bad decisions for the past 20 years.

Why? Because he is not a household name? Nothing at all tells me that this is a bad hire.

And don't say Lovie because he has nothing to do with Marrone's abilities.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Gene wrote:

That's not miraculous. James Franklin has started off 15-11 at Vanderbilt. That's a lot more miraculous.

Quote:

Didn't make it at 10-6 this year. Lost the final game to
miss it at 9-7 a few years ago. Had his backup QBs flounder terribly so they didn't make the playoffs after starting 7-3. His average year was 9-7. I'm sure the Bills fans would be complaining about that.

Quote:

No, he didn't. He selected 2. Turner was picked for him. And the OCs weren't the issue, the offensive talent was. Thank Jerry Angelo for that.

Quote:

And...? That's what the 49ers have done. Seahawks too.

Quote:

I'm gonna go with no. Why don't you take a look at the Bears defense this year.

Quote:

Nearly every NFL HC is a practitioner of nepotism. The Rams staff is/was full of it.

And I love how you're sure every single one of those moves was on Smith. Frankly, I don't care. I've never once said give him personnel control. That's the point of having a GM.

Quote:

Quote:

So he made a terrible call on the way to the Super Bowl but the Bears still won...I'm sure Bills fans would hate that. Hey Bills fans, how would you guys feel about Lovie Smith
making a bad call in a playoff game that you guys win?

Giantsfan80 wrote:
Let me ask you guys....you expect him to go undefeated at Syracuse? You expect him to win every conference game? This isnt the SEC or PAC-10 where
we're stashing 4 star guys. We are loaded with 2 star recruits ...every team excpt Stony Brook had more overall talent than us this year. You 2 clearly dont know much
about the guy...let it go. Hell give him one game at least..and if he wins you'll be calling him Lombardi.

I want you to stop and consider this for a second. Marrone had a QB who will go in the first 4 rounds of the draft and
was in the Big East. The best he could achieve was an 8-5
season.

James Franklin, at freaking Vanderbilt, has a QB who will get UDFA consideration at best and yet coached a team
who won 9 games this year. They went 6-7 in his first year with a bowl loss.

You can't cry foul of talent. Plenty of coaches have made wine out of water with as much or less.

I want you to stop and consider something...he developed that QB. From 2 star obscurity. Vandy has one of the more underrated RB's in college football and a US Army recruit backing him up. While we're comparing apples to oranges...maybe both guys simply can coach. I know u have an answer for everything and feel you are Gods gift to armchair football, but stop on this one.

Signature by Jamison
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Belichick was 36-44 as a HC with the Browns, the Patriots did their homework, didn't listen to ignorant fans, and made a great decisions. Am I saying Marrone is Belichick? Absolutely not. But the truth is, the people doing the interviewing know a lot more then any of us do about these guys, and it goes WAY beyond the stats of win loss record and playoff appearances. It comes down to actual coaching and fundamentals.
green24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
EVERY COACH IN THE NFL HIRES PEOPLE THEY HAVE A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH. I for the life of me have never figured out why Bears fans think this is exclusive to Lovie.

Exactly. The spoils system is not a new thing in the NFL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: